GDT: Avs @ Canes, 12 November 5 PM MT/7pm Eastern

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I don't know if this has been discussed, as I haven't read this whole thread - but for me the biggest take out of this game is on Patrick Roy.

Teams that we've played twice, Nashville and Carolina have outcoached him during their second meetings this year. Roy seemed to come in both games with a similar game plan and Nash and Car adjusted where he did not. He was severely outcoached for most of the night last night IMO
He adjusted just fine to Dallas and Washington. The Avs could have easily won the other two games, but didn't. It happens. I don't think he was severely out coached.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
He adjusted just fine to Dallas and Washington. The Avs could have easily won the other two games, but didn't. It happens. I don't think he was severely out coached.

I think severely was too strong of a statement in regards to last nights game but I think the Nashville game he was. Just because Dallas and Washington didn't adjust doesn't mean those other teams didn't

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Speaking of Washington... it was amazing to me that Washington didn't change up their PP against us. It was completely obvious what the Avs were doing, but they did nothing to adjust.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Speaking of Washington... it was amazing to me that Washington didn't change up their PP against us. It was completely obvious what the Avs were doing, but they did nothing to adjust.

Agreed. Roy didn't adjust, he played the same game - it was Washington that didn't adjust at all either. Nashville sure as heck did

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
as this was against canes, corey sznajder offers statistical analysis of the game

mostly from canes perspective but still excellent read.

This was one of those odd games where the shot numbers do not correlate with scoring chances, the biggest descrepancy being the play of the Avs first line. Going from a possession standpoint, Landeskog, Stastny & McGinn had a fantastic night but they generated only two scoring chances, one of them being Stastny's power play goal. I think this goes hand-in-hand with Carolina playing a strong game in their own zone and keeping the Avalanche from getting to any rebounds. Hainsey & Bellemore spent a lot of time against this line and did a pretty good job of keeping most of the chances to the outside. It wasn't a surprise to see Nathan MacKinnon promoted to this line late in the game, especially after he had seven total scoring chances through two periods.

Unfortunately, they didn't do the same with Matt Duchene's line, who had a bad night by shot attempts but made the most of their time with the puck by creating 11 scoring chances. Duchene & O'Reilly are both lethal when playing in transition, so it's not a surprise to see that they burned the Hurricanes a few times, even if they gave up a lot in their own end. I was hoping that Carolina could match up against them well with Jordan Staal's line & the Sekera/Faulk pairing, but the Avs appeared to get the better of this matchup going by chances. That said, Carolina got the last laugh with the win and Jordan's line producing two goals against this forward unit

Carolina won their matchups against the Stastny line and Colorado's second defense pairing but struggled when playing against the Duchene & Michell lines and the Johnson/Hejda pairing. Although, Jordan's line coming up negative against Duchene was more of a case of them trading chances than anything else, because that line produced about half of Carolina's even strength offense. It was also the fourth line which struggled against Michell rather than the entire team, which is still a little concerning but not as bad as it initially appears.

Colorado is a team built on speed and transitional play, thus you'll see them carry the puck in a lot and they did just that last night. Their third line actually led the way with 15 controlled zone entries, six of them coming from the young star Nathan MacKinnon. Although, it wouldn't surprise me if Roy encourages all of his forwards to do this because Talbot & Mitchell had nine combined controlled entries and neither of them strike me as skilled puck-handlers. The Hurricanes did a good job of limiting Stastny's line by forcing McGinn to dump the puck in quite a bit, though.

I've been tracking zone exits for a little under two years now and there are only a few players who had as good of a game as Erik Johnson did last night. He was given a heavy workload and was incredibly efficient at finding the open guy in the neutral zone and making good plays out of his own end. His 13 successful breakout passes matches what the total for Carolina's defense corps, so that alone should tell you how good he played. The rest of Colorado's defense corps, however, wasn't so good. Andre Benoit was the only other blue-liner who successfully advanced the puck on 20% of his attempts and their third pair combined for only two zone exits. Jan Hejda also brought down their first pairing a little by turning the puck over four times.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Agreed. Roy didn't adjust, he played the same game - it was Washington that didn't adjust at all either. Nashville sure as heck did
If Washington doesn't adjust, there's no reason for Roy too since it was working. The Capitals are torching every team on the PP, so Roy and Tourigny were doing something right. The next game against Nashville will be a big one for Roy.

And that's a great stat on EJ. Shows how well he's playing right now.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
How dare Avs lose a game this season. But now we have an excuse for all 3 losses.

Detroit loss was because of Mcleod.

The other 2 losses because Roy got out coached against a team they played before and won.

That 82-0 record Avs were suppose to have is down the drain.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
If Washington doesn't adjust, there's no reason for Roy too since it was working. The Capitals are torching every team on the PP, so Roy and Tourigny were doing something right. The next game against Nashville will be a big one for Roy.

And that's a great stat on EJ. Shows how well he's playing right now.

His outlet passing has always been good. Even when he was playing his worst hockey for us, he seemed to be able to skate the puck out of a corner and make an outlet pass at will.

I've been really pleased with EJ's progression this season. He is starting to settle plays down, and is a calming presence back there. If we could only get him a few slappers on the PP. No doubt he has taken a huge step forward, and it just shows what confidence can do for a player.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
I don't want to just bring up the negative things Roy did.

His decision to pull Varly on an offensive zone face off was one of the coolest things I've ever seen. If we had scored .... that would have just been amazing. Love the balls on that play

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
listen to Roy on the post-game ...said first goal caused by Canes crashing net and not covered and 2nd goal by a 2 on 1...hmm where was Guenin on both of those plays...apparently playing it perfectly according to one person anyway??

No offense but your correlation between what Roy said and it being Guenin's fault is a result of hearing what you want to hear. The first goal doesn't happen if Holden doesn't cough up the puck and have it go to Guenin with two guys on him. Then he has to decide between three different open guys in front of the net he should take, and is forced to go with the one to the side of the net because Holden who should have been covering that guy decided to go half way around the back of the net for some reason and then reverse back, basically making himself useless.

The second was a result of a 2 on 1 just like Roy said, and it wouldn't have been a 2 on 1 if O'Reilly would have skated back like he normally does to cover for Guenin stepping up to close the gap like he's supposed to. Holden letting the pass go right under his stick, and Dutchy not hustling quite enough on the backcheck didn't help either. Holden, O'Reilly, and Duchene are much more to blame for those goals than Guenin.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Does someone always have to be at fault? Isn't the other team capable of making some nice plays? Of course it's important to understand what were the break downs on a play to correct those mistakes but I don't see yesterday as a loss at the fault of anyone in particular. We could fault half of the team for not getting great scoring chances in the back of the net. We can fault someone for every single time a Cane got the puck on their stick or for every SOG.

tpedersen21

Jan 14, 2011
Minnesota
**GIF Request** Patrick Roy in the second period after Landeskog hits the post and hes unsure why the refs even reviewed it. Did anyone else catch this?

xBI5MNM.gif

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I don't know if this has been discussed, as I haven't read this whole thread - but for me the biggest take out of this game is on Patrick Roy.

Teams that we've played twice, Nashville and Carolina have outcoached him during their second meetings this year. Roy seemed to come in both games with a similar game plan and Nash and Car adjusted where he did not. He was severely outcoached for most of the night last night IMO

Examples?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't think Roy's gameplan got exposed in this game. If it did I wouldn't mind getting outcoached more times, considering Avs having more clear scoring chances by far.

I just think Carolina outworked Avs in period one. They were great on the backcheck and helping their goalie. After that it was Avs game for the most part.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
as this was against canes, corey sznajder offers statistical analysis of the game

mostly from canes perspective but still excellent read.

That was a very good read. I remember their write up from the first game was excellent too. If I recall right it was the Stastny line that dominated zone entries and exits that game. Also, validates how well EJ played. MacKinnon too, all those stats on him were fantastic. They show here the Avs had more scoring chances. Roy said on the radio that the scoring chances were 20-10. How do they define that, who keeps the stats on that or is it an individual perception thing?

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007

xBI5MNM.gif

Then when we beat Pittsburgh, Roy severely outcoached Bylsma. Avs were all over the Canes in the 3rd. He also made a ballsy coaching decision to take Varly out at the end of the game, which almost worked.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
That was a very good read. I remember their write up from the first game was excellent too. If I recall right it was the Stastny line that dominated zone entries and exits that game. Also, validates how well EJ played. MacKinnon too, all those stats on him were fantastic. They show here the Avs had more scoring chances. Roy said on the radio that the scoring chances were 20-10. How do they define that, who keeps the stats on that or is it an individual perception thing?

i'd think it's individual perception. very subjective stat like hit or giveaways etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad