GDT: Avs @ Canes, 12 November 5 PM MT/7pm Eastern

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Bit, McGinn has been invisible for the most part. He needs to pick up his play or he's going to find himself on the 4th line or maybe traded? I like the guy but how much time can they give him?

Dater is this you? McGinn missed three games. When he left he was playing with MacKinnon and PA, then Talbot and Mitchell and now Stastny and Landy. He had what two great chances right in front of the net last night. He is the only big physical sniper winger the Avs have besides Landy, this team is thin on wing as it is. He's on a dirt cheap contract, seriously do you know how cheap it is? It would be asinine to get rid of him.

Last edited:

jsalz16

Feb 21, 2010
He had what two great chances right in front of the net last night. He is the only big physical sniper winger the Avs have.

Wow. Some sniper!
He has like 50 goals in 270ish nhl games. I hope he turns it around because you're right, his contract is great. Avs really need 3 scoring lines.

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
McGinn would of been a piece I would've shopped around before we traded Downie, but now we need him for our offensive depth.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Wow. Some sniper!
He has like 50 goals in 270ish nhl games. I hope he turns it around because you're right, his contract is great. Avs really need 3 scoring lines.

Most of his career, he played 10 minutes a night for the Sharks on a fourth line.

For Avs, McGinn has scored 22 goals in 78 games. He's a second/third line tweener with a good shot.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
McGinn would of been a piece I would've shopped around before we traded Downie, but now we need him for our offensive depth.

Yea they can't move McGinn now. They need his offense AND grit. Landy can't be the only one capable of playing a hard nosed game on a scoring line.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I didn't think Holden was that particularly bad as to warrant replacement. But Roy will do what is needed so if Hunwick looks ready in practice I'm sure he'll get a game or two if we keep struggling defensively.

I didn't think Holden was bad either. Just as others have pointed out, the defence is a little slow right now. Hunwick instantly makes whatever pairing he is on mobile. To be fair, everyone has looked better under Roy. Hunwick easily could too. Especially playing 7 less minutes a game than he did last year, against weaker competition.

No he was pretty off last night. Pretty out of his comfort zone. He played a big part in the two goals against.

Went behind the net to battle for a loose puck and lost it, then didn't block the centering pass to the slot, which put Guenin in kind of a tough spot and he had his pass deflected back. Meanwhile Holden didn't really take anyone to help prevent a rebound chance and was pretty useless.

[NHL]2013020267-38-h[/NHL]

Then he let the centering pass go right through him instead of blocking it.

[NHL]2013020267-218-h[/NHL]

By the way for those blaming Guenin on this play during the GDT, he basically played this the way Roy wants them to play. He jumped up to get to the loose puck, and pressure the puck carrier, the only problem was he got a bit of an unlucky bounce, and didn't get enough support.

It was a misread by O'Reilly that gave them so much time and space. Radar should have kept skating back to cover what would have been Guenin's man, but instead he also cut to his left for a second toward the puck carrier and then instantly realized he should be covering Guenin's man. Then Holden let the pass through, and Dutchy kind of glided in hoping to hook his man, but he was caught too far behind.

Guenin was actually the only one that played this one correctly. It was a bit of an unlucky bounce that it went off the boards and right to the Cane players stick.

stickguy

Jan 20, 2013
On both goals, Guenin had the puck on his stick and turned it over. That's why he deserves blame.

correct, the first goal Guenin had the puck on his stick and gave it to the other team and then it was in the net...the funny part is the blame on Holden on the second goal?? He had to play it as a 2 on 1 and not go at the puck carrier. He went down to block the pass but it got through...it happens. If it wasn't a 2 on 1 then how did the Cane in front of the net score? He scored because Duchene wasn't there with him, that is why Holden had to play it as a 2 on 1...he wasn't covered.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
On both goals, Guenin had the puck on his stick and turned it over. That's why he deserves blame.

You can actually blame Roy with playing them on the 1st line,

Hejda - EJ = Should be on the shutdown line and 4th line
Benoit - Sarich = Should be on Duchene line
Holden - Guenin = Should be with the 3rd line (and not with Duchene)

And Duchene could have easily prevented that second goal as well, how and why do superstars get passes????

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't know why Duchene stopped skating when he's a step behind. He's a good enough skater to get in front of the guy there instead of trying a hook when the guy is in a prime scoring position. I guess he thought he had the guy under control there.

It was a good play by the Hurricanes though. These things happen when you want your defenders to step up.

bad attitude

Oct 21, 2004
I wouldn't be blaming Holden on either goal. My opinion is Guenin did nothing to help in either case. For the first goal, Holden tied up his man behind the net and got the puck loose. Neither Guenin or a forward were successful in covering the guys in front of the net or getting the puck out. On the 2nd goal, I agree that Holden had to play it as a 2 on 1 and took away the shot, which was his only option. Unfortunately his attempt to block the pass got through. But Guenin was no where to be found and Duchene didn't backcheck enough to tie up the 2nd player, who eventually scored. Holden didn't have much to work with in either case.

stickguy

Jan 20, 2013
Went behind the net to battle for a loose puck and lost it, then didn't block the centering pass to the slot, which put Guenin in kind of a tough spot and he had his pass deflected back. Meanwhile Holden didn't really take anyone to help prevent a rebound chance and was pretty useless.

[NHL]2013020267-38-h[/NHL]

forgot to add, not sure how he supposed to block the centering pass..Guenin was the guy who was between the 2 Cane players and should have blocked it after giving it away...and Holden is tall but I don't think he can step over top of both Varlamov and Guenin to get to the guy who actually scored!! I don't think the pair played great but the video shows who were really at fault on the goals along with some bad luck along the way.

Last edited by a moderator:

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I see some people are down on McGinn already because he hasn't scored in a while.

So the HF mentality is...

Trade a player that hasn't score in the last hand full of games for someone that can come in and score a goal right away in his 1st game even. Then when that player stops scoring just get rid of him too.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Yup. I blame Guenin for both goals aswell.

I don't think Guenin played that well in the game, but what exactly do you think he was supposed to do on those two goals?

He was all by himself to the side of the net where he was supposed to be on the first goal, and Holden coughed up the puck, and then let his man jump on Guenin, as well the other Cane player behind him. He had two sticks on him immediately, and he was trying to dump it to the corner. It's not as simple as "he had the puck on his stick and turned it over" Holden put him in a very tough position.

On the 2nd goal what exactly do you think he did wrong there? He did what he supposed to do and pressure the puck and the puck carrier and put the puck off the boards instead of up the middle of the ice. He got a little unlucky that the puck went off the boards to the Cane players stick, and O'Reilly made the mistake of thinking offense and going to the same man thinking the puck would pop free and he could turn and skate up ice. If he had skated back like he's supposed to he could have taken the passer, and Holden could have slid over to his natural left side where he's supposed to be and taken the man breaking to the net instead of Duchene.

There's lots of things that went wrong on those plays that have nothing to do with Guenin.

forgot to add, not sure how he supposed to block the centering pass..Guenin was the guy who was between the 2 Cane players and should have blocked it after giving it away...and Holden is tall but I don't think he can step over top of both Varlamov and Guenin to get to the guy who actually scored!! I don't think the pair played great but the video shows who were really at fault on the goals along with some bad luck along the way.

I assume you're referring to the first goal.

He's supposed to go behind the net and either get the puck or freeze it along the boards. Not let the man pick his pocket and then get caught on the wrong side of him allowing him to throw it to the slot, and jump on Guenin, putting his partner in a tough position.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It's not even the HF mentality, which at least in general adds hockey intelligence, it's the friggin Denver Post/Dater way to analyze the game of hockey solely based on the boxscore. Those people want to argue that MacKinnon is worthless because he's only scored two goals. :facepalm:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
********, if we play the first exactly the same and have a little better puck luck, we'll take at least a 2 goal lead into the first intermission.

Yea I don't get this idea that they played poorly in the first. They carried the play and had a lot of good chances, while Carolina's chances weren't very dangerous and from outside.

The Avs just had all their rebounds pop to open areas in the game rather than to an Avalanche player.

If there's one thing they did wrong was not swarm the net a little harder, and bear down a little harder on their rebound shots rather than let Carolina take away their stick, or weaken their shots. They didn't really do this until halfway through the 3rd.

Carolina's D did a heck of a job though clearing the front of their net, and putting up a wall in front of Peters so the Avs forwards couldn't get too close for rebounds. They deserve a lot of credit for that.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
It's not even the HF mentality, which at least in general adds hockey intelligence, it's the friggin Denver Post/Dater way to analyze the game of hockey solely based on the boxscore. Those people want to argue that MacKinnon is worthless because he's only scored two goals. :facepalm:

Mac would have more goals if he had linemates that could pass the puck.

jsalz16

Feb 21, 2010
I see some people are down on McGinn already because he hasn't scored in a while.

So the HF mentality is...

Trade a player that hasn't score in the last hand full of games for someone that can come in and score a goal right away in his 1st game even. Then when that player stops scoring just get rid of him too.
Believe me. I hope I eat crow on this one but I'm just not feeling it with JM. BTW I've watched 90% of Avs games for the last 10 years.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
I don't know if this has been discussed, as I haven't read this whole thread - but for me the biggest take out of this game is on Patrick Roy.

Teams that we've played twice, Nashville and Carolina have outcoached him during their second meetings this year. Roy seemed to come in both games with a similar game plan and Nash and Car adjusted where he did not. He was severely outcoached for most of the night last night IMO

stickguy

Jan 20, 2013
I don't think Guenin played that well in the game, but what exactly do you think he was supposed to do on those two goals?

He was all by himself to the side of the net where he was supposed to be on the first goal, and Holden coughed up the puck, and then let his man jump on Guenin, as well the other Cane player behind him. He had two sticks on him immediately, and he was trying to dump it to the corner. It's not as simple as "he had the puck on his stick and turned it over" Holden put him in a very tough position.

On the 2nd goal what exactly do you think he did wrong there? He did what he supposed to do and pressure the puck and the puck carrier and put the puck off the boards instead of up the middle of the ice. He got a little unlucky that the puck went off the boards to the Cane players stick, and O'Reilly made the mistake of thinking offense and going to the same man thinking the puck would pop free and he could turn and skate up ice. If he had skated back like he's supposed to he could have taken the passer, and Holden could have slid over to his natural left side where he's supposed to be and taken the man breaking to the net instead of Duchene.

There's lots of things that went wrong on those plays that have nothing to do with Guenin.

I assume you're referring to the first goal.

He's supposed to go behind the net and either get the puck or freeze it along the boards. Not let the man pick his pocket and then get caught on the wrong side of him allowing him to throw it to the slot, and jump on Guenin, putting his partner in a tough position.

listen to Roy on the post-game ...said first goal caused by Canes crashing net and not covered and 2nd goal by a 2 on 1...hmm where was Guenin on both of those plays...apparently playing it perfectly according to one person anyway??

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
We weren't out coached, we didn't play like like crap the first half of the game, and it wasn't varly's fault. We just had no finish while they took advantage of Guenin's mistakes. It happens, the better team doesn't always win. We weren't the better team when we beat Pittsburgh, and we weren't the lesser team yesterday, the puck just didn't bounce our way.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't know if this has been discussed, as I haven't read this whole thread - but for me the biggest take out of this game is on Patrick Roy.

Teams that we've played twice, Nashville and Carolina have outcoached him during their second meetings this year. Roy seemed to come in both games with a similar game plan and Nash and Car adjusted where he did not. He was severely outcoached for most of the night last night IMO

I think I threw that out there before the Nashville game. We are really going to see what kind of coach Roy is after teams get used to his system. He will have to tweak and adapt to the new ways teams will defend and attack. I have full confidence that Roy will do great in that aspect, but it is something to really watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad