Post-Game Talk: Avs @ Blues | 3-1 L | In honor of Friends: "The One Where The Avs Lost 3-1"

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
According to Dater, Pickard, Sullivan, and Vincour have all been called up.
To be fair to them, Eurolanche had the news in my twitter feed first....but that's just splitting hairs.

I'm intrigued that Pickard got brought up, hopefully he does get a game or 2 in in these last few that we have....and hopefully Vincour gets some time as well, so that we can see what he has.

Stories

Science!
Sep 10, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
To be fair to them, Eurolanche had the news in my twitter feed first....but that's just splitting hairs.

I'm intrigued that Pickard got brought up, hopefully he does get a game or 2 in in these last few that we have....and hopefully Vincour gets some time as well, so that we can see what he has.

Cool. Strange to see Sullivan brought up. If he suits up, it'll be yet another player with a BU connection on the team. Sweet. Or not?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I have no idea why Sullivan would be up, but the others two make some sense.

Pickard to get a game and to see where he is at next to NHL competition. Plus reward him for a great season in Lake Erie.

Vincour has been red hot since getting to Lake Erie. Put him on Stastny or ROR's RW to get a sneak peak of what he can bring to the team next season.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Varly is our #1. And will be next season. If Jiggy is our #1 we are in trouble.

Giguere is our #1 at the moment. Team is playing better in front of him and he's getting wins. Varly is #1 with talent and everything, but at the moment team is just playing better with Giguere.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Interesting that Sgarbossa didn't get a call up, but I guess he did struggle at the end of the year. Play Vincour and see what he can provide. He should be confident with how he finished in the AHL.

Why not Pock?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Interesting that Sgarbossa didn't get a call up, but I guess he did struggle at the end of the year. Play Vincour and see what he can provide. He should be confident with how he finished in the AHL.

Why not Pock?

He has already signed back in Austria. As for Sgarbossa I think he has a nagging injury.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Giguere is our #1 at the moment. Team is playing better in front of him and he's getting wins. Varly is #1 with talent and everything, but at the moment team is just playing better with Giguere.

And the team is in trouble. Which is precisely why I said we would be in trouble if Jiggy was our #1.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Colorado Avalanche ‏@Avalanche 41s
The @Avalanche recalled Tomas Vincour yesterday from @monstershockey.

Surprised nothing was said about Pickard and Sullivan though... both are on the AHL transactions page.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
For two years straight Giguere has a better W/L ratio, save percentage and GAA. Avs have a better chance to win with him in goal.

He probably would see his game slip if he had to play most games but Giguere certainly has earned every start he gets and probably a few more.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
For two years straight Giguere has a better W/L ratio, save percentage and GAA. Avs have a better chance to win with him in goal.

He probably would see his game slip if he had to play most games but Giguere certainly has earned every start he gets and probably a few more.

Is he playing against easier competition? I have no idea, but still I have always liked Giguere and he's been just fantastic for us, in his role. Amazing player. Hopefully he will be our goalie coach in the future. True winner.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

I've noticed that Avs play better in front of him compared to Varlamov. It reminds me of the days of Theo and Budaj, where Avs for mysterious reasons played fantastic when Budaj was in net compared to Theodore.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I've noticed that Avs play better in front of him compared to Varlamov. It reminds me of the days of Theo and Budaj, where Avs for mysterious reasons played fantastic when Budaj was in net compared to Theodore.

I think they trust Varly's talent more, probably too much.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

I think it's because Giguere makes the saves he is supposed to. He's easier to play in front of. Giguere is terrible on 2-on-1's where you have a pass and shot. He is terrible at breakaways. Everyone in the league knows they can get him to open up the five hole. But he is pretty good at tracking the puck and getting square to shooters in a cycle/shot from the point situation. He controls rebounds. He's a good puck handler.

Varlamov mixes and matches much more. For every brilliant pad save you have a shot that beats him glove high. I'm not down on Varlamov. He's learning to handle a big workload and Avs defense is terrible. Varlamov will look better the fewer defensive breakdowns Avs have. But right now I think Giguere is the better player.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

You can't really compare their numbers because of this. They haven't played in a comparable amount of games, or in comparable situations.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Sean Sullivan? had to look him up... weird call up.

7th healthy D is all that I can think of. EJ and Wilson are probably done for the season. Pock is back in Austria. Beaupre's contract doesn't start until next season. So it was Sullivan or Chouinard.... Sullivan is the easy choice there.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Is he playing against easier competition? I have no idea, but still I have always liked Giguere and he's been just fantastic for us, in his role. Amazing player. Hopefully he will be our goalie coach in the future. True winner.

LOL. That is exactly what I said, and what started this debate. hahaha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad