GDT: Avs and Jackets in Finland - Korpisavior Edition

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
Should the big boys sack everybody and start the coaching and FO rework now, or should they embrace the tank, keep everyone around this season and make the moves in April next year?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Should the big boys sack everybody and start the coaching and FO rework now, or should they embrace the tank, keep everyone around this season and make the moves in April next year?
Isn't dumping the FO and coaching staff embracing an orognaizational tank?

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
It can get tiring, but I would rather have the recycled rah rah stuff. I would have perferred that than the negativity.

To each their own. I like Laine especially for this reason. I can trust him to speak his mind, to me that is very valuable. It's a leadership quality when you demand more from yourself than others

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
To each their own. I like Laine especially for this reason. I can trust him to speak his mind, to me that is very valuable. It's a leadership quality when you demand more from yourself than others
I didn't get that he was demanding more from himself from that comment. Saying "it sucked and was a waste of time and I wish the trip didn't happen" doesn't sound like "I wasn't happy with my play and I expect more of myself."

Reactions: thebus88

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
i don't see the problem, a disappointed athlete speaking his mind after a poor performance. It is what it is.

The Jenner line played against the MacKinnon line last night as well, the difference being they actually handled that match up well in that game.

I'd love to see Johnson centering Gaudreau & Laine as well, but I don't understand why so many people seem to have a problem against the 1st line as it is. They are doing fine and Jenner is doing just fine.

Kent is more creative, his defense and taker the puck are underrated. Of course one needs to be stronger. Boone is partially a grinder (I mean style of play, not his qualities, of course) His style of play has been ideal in the Nyquist -- Jenner -- Laine line, but not so much with Gaudreau and Laine IMO. Now, I don't mean this game, because it's understandable that Johnson won't play against the Avs' first line.
I think if Avs led 5:1 and Kuraly injured, Lars could try Kent or Foudy to play center. Of course not against MacKinnon line.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Let's be real. It sucked and was a waste of my time and I only watched 1/2 of each game on TV.
I'll one up ya, it sucked and was a waste of my time and money and I was there in person for both games.

In all seriousness, the event itself was pretty great and all the CBJ (and Avalance) fans traveling from abroad was great too (I was sitting next to some Czech Avs fans tonight), the atmosphere in the arena was great (whoever decided on playing Den glider in was a genius or knew how an arena full of drunk Finns would react to that).

The on-ice "product" as they say, well... We could maybe patch together one good game out of these six periods. That 2nd period start was just brutal. There's moments of good play, it just seems to be followed by longer breakdowns. There was some good passing play tonight and some good pressure, but that should be the norm, not the exception.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I'm not saying he's being selfish. Just he could have chosen his words better.
Maybe it’s exactly what the room needs , someone not sugar coating it, and just telling it as it is . I’m sure Laine is pretty embarrassed to get drummed 2 games in a row in front of his home fans . Personally , I’m glad to see the emotion

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'll one up ya, it sucked and was a waste of my time and money and I was there in person for both games.

In all seriousness, the event itself was pretty great and all the CBJ (and Avalance) fans traveling from abroad was great too (I was sitting next to some Czech Avs fans tonight), the atmosphere in the arena was great (whoever decided on playing Den glider in was a genius or knew how an arena full of drunk Finns would react to that).

The on-ice "product" as they say, well... We could maybe patch together one good game out of these six periods. That 2nd period start was just brutal. There's moments of good play, it just seems to be followed by longer breakdowns. There was some good passing play tonight and some good pressure, but that should be the norm, not the exception.
At least you didn't travel far. I feel really sorry for those who came from Ohio to see it.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Maybe it’s exactly what the room needs , someone not sugar coating it, and just telling it as it is . I’m sure Laine is pretty embarrassed to get drummed 2 games in a row in front of his home fans . Personally , I’m glad to see the emotion
Maybe. I just can't see a guy like Foligno, Dubinsky, or Atkinson talking like that. The leadership core on this team has been decimated, and no one seems to want to step up. Not saying it wasn't time to move on from those guys, but people like that are hard to replace. Hell,Savard didn't have a letter, but I think his presence is sorely missing.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
It's a dilemma - if this had happened last season, I imagine most of us would've been "fine" with the losing streak and bad play. But this year we signed Gaudreau and we were supposed to be better. Something's gotta give, and it might've thrown the original plan off the rails.

I don't know what the heck I would do if I was Jarmo. Everything was going to plan before the offseason.
That's why they should have went with Jalonen as HC. His teams players aren't confused of their roles and what they're supposed to do and that helps inferior roster to overcome the odds against more stacked teams
This Finnish pipe dream is probably still a pipe dream - my understanding (from here/Reddit) is that Jarmo himself is not a big fan of the "Finnish way" of play and Jalonen's systems/style.

If Jarmo were to hire Jalonen now (which actually might not be bad for the team - tighten up the defense, play more structured, etc), he'd be signing his own death sentence too if it doesn't work out. That said, if the season continues to play out like this, hiring Jalonen would be just a blip in the ocean, a desperation move to figure out if the team could turn things around.

Anyhow I don't think it's gonna happen. I also don't think Jalonen has the level of English required for the job, they all say he does but I'm not convinced.

I wonder if Larsen has already lost the room and the players are not buying into the "systems" at all. I think that's the key here - if Larsen can show that the team improves (Thanksgiving, eh?), then maybe he keeps the job. I feel like the leash is long but at some point we have to start looking at next season - our competitive seasons - and if the same systems were meant to be used then and they're not working now, that doesn't spell good...

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Maybe. I just can't see a guy like Foligno, Dubinsky, or Atkinson talking like that. The leadership core on this team has been decimated, and no one seems to want to step up. Not saying it wasn't time to move on from those guys, but people like that are hard to replace. Hell,Savard didn't have a letter, but I think his presence is sorely missing.
Laine is part of the leadership group? Where are Jenner, Werenski and Nyquist? Voracek? Kuraly?

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Laine is part of the leadership group? Where are Jenner, Werenski and Nyquist? Voracek? Kuraly?

Semantics.

He’s more “face of the franchise” than any of those guys were, IMO, even Foligno as captain.

It’s not as if Larsen can step up and say anything without his players yelling back at him….

Reactions: Monstershockey

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Semantics.

He’s more “face of the franchise” than any of those guys were, IMO, even Foligno as captain.

It’s not as if Larsen can step up and say anything without his players yelling back at him….
Semantics? Laine is not THE leader of the team. He is one of the leaders. Yet somehow, not surprisingly, you have an issue with him being critical and frustrated and vocal about it. There is no way pleasing you I guess, because if Laine would’ve delivered some meaningless interview cliches without emotion, you’d probably criticize him for that too. It’s ridiculous really.

The fact is that the team lost both games, and in that sense the trip was pointless, both in a literal and emotional sense. Saying things like that out loud is showing good leadership – showing that you care and want the team to win more than anything else. Personal success is of secondary importance to Laine, he just wants to win, and hates losing. Those are qualities that I want to see in a player on a team.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I was at the games and it was a great event, shame that the games weren’t close.

Fwiw if you read the entire interview and not just the first paragraph Laine says at least five sentences about how he and the entire team has to be better. That quote is just the intro into a long tirade about how they have to turn it around. It’s a quote and quotes are by definition abbreviated. What makes you think it’s the full interview?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad