Eklund Rumor: Avs and Bruins 5 player swap (involving Landeskog)

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Rumors you say. Thats diffrent than what people here are saying that he didn't want to sign so they had to trade him. I guess the money they saved from trading lucic couldn't be used to pay hamilton.

It's hard to explain two years later, but the Bruins were in a horrible cap situation thanks to Chiarelli. Moving Smith & Savard's salaries, and moving Lucic helped.

I believe they had the money to pay Hamilton, but didn't value him as much as Edmonton did (pretty good evaluation in retrospect). If I remember correctly, it was rumored that we offered him about the same thing he makes in Calgary now.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Us Avs fans typically agree with the B's fans that they really do have a good prospect pool, and like you said it's mainly B prospects which is not bad at all. It's really good actually. But when you're trading your 24 year old captain who's a top line LW do you really only want B or B+ prospects? That's how we are looking at this, we don't think Zboril is a bad prospect at all, he just shouldn't be the centerpiece for a Landy trade.

And Avs425 (have never learned how to do multiple quotes)

I do appreciate both points. And we agree.

If I was magically put in Sakic's shoes and was trading either Landeskog or Duchene to Boston - I honestly don't know which players I'd target. And if I was Sweeney I'd have no idea which players I'd be o.k. with moving. You could pick three names out of hat from Boston's top 15 prospects and just as easily you could get the best three future NHLers or three career AHLers.

I wanted Landeskog on the Bruins at the draft before Toronto went on their little run over the last month of the season and they had to settle for Hamilton. He's struggled a bit as of late but Bruins fans would be thrilled watching him riding shotgun with Krejci and Backes on the 2nd line.

Colorado? Seriously - don't know what I'd do. Want you guys to be good again. Just not sure which route I'd take to get there.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
And Avs425 (have never learned how to do multiple quotes)

I do appreciate both points. And we agree.

If I was magically put in Sakic's shoes and was trading either Landeskog or Duchene to Boston - I honestly don't know which players I'd target. And if I was Sweeney I'd have no idea which players I'd be o.k. with moving. You could pick three names out of hat from Boston's top 15 prospects and just as easily you could get the best three future NHLers or three career AHLers.

I wanted Landeskog on the Bruins at the draft before Toronto went on their little run over the last month of the season and they had to settle for Hamilton. He's struggled a bit as of late but Bruins fans would be thrilled watching him riding shotgun with Krejci and Backes on the 2nd line.

Colorado? Seriously - don't know what I'd do. Want you guys to be good again. Just not sure which route I'd take to get there.

They are right to target Carlo/McAvoy but they should also accept a package with 'lesser' prospects like Zboril/Senyshyn/DeBrusk/Boston 1st etc. It's possible they would be adding top six forward (s) top 4 defensemen for one top 6 forward. Not a guarantee but not garbage at all.

If Carlo hits his peak at #2 or McAvoy is a #1 either of those is overpayment in the long run.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Landeskog isn't just some top 6 forward, he's a first line forward and top 10 LWer. That's not a piece you sell for quantity when he's as young as Landeskog & signed for as many years as Landeskog. That's a piece you only sell if you're getting back exactly what you need.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
They are right to target Carlo/McAvoy but they should also accept a package with 'lesser' prospects like Zboril/Senyshyn/DeBrusk/Boston 1st etc. It's possible they would be adding top six forward (s) top 4 defensemen for one top 6 forward. Not a guarantee but not garbage at all.

If Carlo hits his peak at #2 or McAvoy is a #1 either of those is overpayment in the long run.

The problem is it's really hard to lose a top line forward for what could be a top 6 forward and top 4 forward. Realistically it does nothing for the Avalanche. We have guys in our pipeline already that project to be top 4 defenders. Bigras, Meloche and possibly Mironov could all fill those slots fairly easily. If we're moving Duchene or Landeskog we need to fill a need that we still have; which is top pairing defender. So while people look at a group of good prospects like Zboril/Senyshyn/Debrusk and think it'd help the Avalanche depth. We look at it as losing one of our top players for a bunch of question marks.

While a guy like McAvoy is still essentially a question mark. He's a question mark we'd be willing to take a chance on. Losing an established top line player like Duchene or Landeskog is still a big hit to us. We'll have depth to fill in and we hope Jost will step into the 2nd line center role easily. We really don't know what will happen.

So at the end of the day. The Avs need to have a reason to take the risk of trading Duchene/Landeskog. I personally don't think Zboril/Senyshyn/Debrusk is enough to take the risk. I also think that's a common good view among all Avs fans and possibly the front office. Which is why no deal has happened.

I understand that McAvoy is a piece of Boston's future and if they don't want to trade him. Then a deal shouldn't be in place. I don't think it's right to tell us to "just take a lesser package" though. Our backs aren't against the wall to trade either guy. We're just searching for a piece that fills our needs.

Bruin4Life

Nov 6, 2006
IMO the bruins are missing 3 pieces, A top 2 young Dman (be it prospect or established to replace Chara), a second line LW to play with Krejci, and a backup goalie who can win 50% of his games.

If we trade Carlo/McAvoy we are in a worse position because although we fix one of our needs, we open up a new point of weakness (no top 2 potential D). Plus we add cap without trading away. It doesnt make sense for either side.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Landeskog isn't just some top 6 forward, he's a first line forward and top 10 LWer. That's not a piece you sell for quantity when he's as young as Landeskog & signed for as many years as Landeskog. That's a piece you only sell if you're getting back exactly what you need.

The problem is that the B's already have a 1st line LWer and a top 10 LWer better than him. Thus they'd be trading a piece they TRULY need (McAvoy or Carlo) PLUS other assets for a piece they don't need.

So to use your own line (in this case, with regards to the Bruins) trading McAvoy or Carlo only makes sense if you are getting back exactly what you need. Landeskog isn't that for the B's.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The problem is that the B's already have a 1st line LWer and a top 10 LWer better than him. Thus they'd be trading a piece they TRULY need (McAvoy or Carlo) PLUS other assets for a piece they don't need.

So to use your own line (in this case, with regards to the Bruins) trading McAvoy or Carlo only makes sense if you are getting back exactly what you need. Landeskog isn't that for the B's.

Makes sense. It's one of the many reasons I think a Landeskog trade is far less likely than a Duchene trade.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005

I'm a Bruins fan.
I don't think either would be overpayment whatsoever. Landeskog is very very good. Carlo plus a first would probably be underpayment in the long run.
Just that both are extremely difficult for the Bruins to give up today. They need Carlo for the playoff push and McAvoy to hold down their RHD going forward.
Both players are both more systemic needs than the value not being fair -

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Two seconds of reflection...
changed my mind.

I'd trade Carlo and a 1st (equivalent) or McAvoy straight up for Landeskog.

PIMsCup

Nov 18, 2014
LA / NH Boston?
Two seconds of reflection...
changed my mind.

I'd trade Carlo and a 1st (equivalent) or McAvoy straight up for Landeskog.

I would rather stand pat than pay market or above value. Landeskog is a good player, and yes he would make the Bruins better right now, but honestly I think the team is fine without him.

I take McAvoy and the 1st out of the picture. Carlo I am ok with moving along with a B prospect and a 2nd. Beyond that....I'm just not that interested.

It's like going into Brookstone just to look and someone is trying to sell you a massage chair. Sure, massage chairs are great and anyone would love to have one...but my apartment isn't huge and I already have all the furniture I need for now. If I want to save up to eventually be able to buy a house, I shouldn't be spending money on massage chairs.

Last edited:

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
I'll agree with the Jacobs that I want money in the bank. So, by all means go out and acquire what would nail down a playoff spot. As long as it does not involve Carlo, McAvoy and maybe Zboril.

To make the Jacobs happy Sweeney should be looking for some bookends and I'll be okay with that.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
We don't need to :shakehead.

You see anyone posting an agreement with that guy. I see transplanted posts from our own thread. :)

Edit: Still a fair warning though.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I'll agree with the Jacobs that I want money in the bank. So, by all means go out and acquire what would nail down a playoff spot. As long as it does not involve Carlo, McAvoy and maybe Zboril.

To make the Jacobs happy Sweeney should be looking for some bookends and I'll be okay with that.

Landeskog is awfully good - plus there's a reason why he was named captain at such a young age.
just as easily this would be like being on the other side of the Sequin trade.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Personally as a B's fan I don't give up Carlo because adding a top-6 forward by subtracting a top-4 d-man seems negligible. I also don't give up McAvoy because I believe the player he could become is far more important than the player Landeskog is. So if I'm Sweeney I'm pushing for a Zboril+DeBrusk/Senyshyn++ kind of deal. If Sakic balks at that then so be it, I don't entirely blame him. But from a Bruins point of view Carlo is too much right now I.E. off the roster looking to make playoffs now impact and McAvoy just has too much upside down the road with an aging Chara.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I think the Bruins should look to acquire Duchene he should be cheaper than Landeskog and a better fit for what they need up front. Landeskog is their captain, 3 years younger and signed to a longer and friendlier cap hit, so I think Duchene would cost less and the guy they should focus on. If the Avs still want too much then forget it and go for someone like Patrick Berglund who would be even cheaper to get and brings a lot of what Landeskog does as well, although with a little less skill.

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017
I think the Bruins should look to acquire Duchene he should be cheaper than Landeskog and a better fit for what they need up front. Landeskog is their captain, 3 years younger and signed to a longer and friendlier cap hit, so I think Duchene would cost less and the guy they should focus on. If the Avs still want too much then forget it and go for someone like Patrick Berglund who would be even cheaper to get and brings a lot of what Landeskog does as well, although with a little less skill.

Duchene will cost more. He still has 2 yrs left after this so not like hes a rental. His offensive ability plus being a center make him more valuable

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Duchene will cost more. He still has 2 yrs left after this so not like hes a rental. His offensive ability plus being a center make him more valuable

Some Avs fans had said if they only keep one they prefer it to be Landeskog, so that is why I was thinking Landeskog would cost more than Duchene along with the age and length of time he has left on his deal.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Some Avs fans had said if they only keep one they prefer it to be Landeskog, so that is why I was thinking Landeskog would cost more than Duchene along with the age and length of time he has left on his deal.

We'd rather keep Landeskog, but part of that is that Duchene should return more; the other parts are that Landy is closer in age to our young core and brings a style of play that none of them do...thus far...

In terms of pure value Duchene has more; he scores more, is a center, and has become absolutely elite at faceoffs.

Killer B

Honey Badger don't care
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin
I'm hoping the B's stand pat...

Landeskog w/ 23 points this season? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that would currently put him at 51st in scoring for left wingers. And he has those numbers spending a good deal of time flanking McKinnon?

No thanks!

Another thing... If he's so great, then why is Sakic getting rid of him? He's a young, cost controlled core player? Isn't that what you build around?

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Another thing... If he's so great, then why is Sakic getting rid of him? He's a young, cost controlled core player? Isn't that what you build around?

Sakic has had a terrible defense since he took over. He has not found any way to fix it. He's trying to trade for a way to fix it. What else would you trade to try and get a top young D? If a player like Landy or Duchene can't get them, what the hell could?

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Sakic has had a terrible defense since he took over. He has not found any way to fix it. He's trying to trade for a way to fix it. What else would you trade to try and get a top young D? If a player like Landy or Duchene can't, what the hell could?

So put the shoe on the other foot. Why would the Bruins, a team with a defence just as bad as COL's, trade a dman for a winger?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad