Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire Reto Berra , Re-Signed to 3-Year Deal (1.45 AAV) [Link/Vids in OP]

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Adrian Dater ‏@adater 2h
Roy said Giguere will dress as the backup to Varly in the playoffs

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Thanks Dater, let's scratch a former Conn Smythe winner in favour of a guy with little to no success in the nhl.

Well, a few people on here said it would be more comfortable having Berra on the bench in the playoffs if Varly goes down.

I agree though. Jiggy should of course be the go to guy in the playoffs if something happens.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Thanks Dater, let's scratch a former Conn Smythe winner in favour of a guy with little to no success in the nhl.

Or... let's scratch a former Conn Smythe winner so he doesn't have to warmup/skate and instead can focus on taking it easy so he doesn't hurt himself come playoff time considering he's on his last legs as a goalie.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I'm not above criticizing Dater, but I think that was a fairly important piece of info to pass on. Just to set the record straight, because there might have been a bit of doubt.

I don't think it was terribly obvious that they would use Jiggy over Berra as a backup, so I'll give Dater credit for doing a little forward thinking and clearing it up for the fans.

OldSchoolAvalanche*

Probably not a popular opinion, but i'd rather have Berra as a back up if we make the playoffs. I think its a given well be in the running for the next few years atleast might as well get his feet wet. My main reason.. giggy will retire after the season.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Probably not a popular opinion, but i'd rather have Berra as a back up if we make the playoffs. I think its a given well be in the running for the next few years atleast might as well get his feet wet. My main reason.. giggy will retire after the season.

Well let just say that judging on Berra's first game with the Avs and how JS played for us this season , i think it's safe to say that we pray God for varly to stay healthy in the playoffs .

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Well let just say that judging on Berra's first game with the Avs and how JS played for us this season , i think it's safe to say that we pray God for varly to stay healthy in the playoffs .

Varly should be okay, I don't understand this negative talk about his health. It used to be a problem couple years ago, but he's been pretty healthy lately.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I think jiggy gets the call in the playoffs if anything should happen even if maybe berra is better. IMHO they both stink, but Roy would do the classy thing and go with jiggy. It wouldn't matter. Avs would lose with either backup.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Jiggy backing up Varly means nothing. When Roloson went down in 2006 Conklin replaced him in Game 1. He didn't play a game afterwards as the reigns were given to Jussi Markenan. It's quite realistic that Roy wants Jiggy's experience in the room and on the bench. If something does happen to Varly for whatever reason I think Berra might be the one they go to.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Jiggy backing up Varly means nothing. When Roloson went down in 2006 Conklin replaced him in Game 1. He didn't play a game afterwards as the reigns were given to Jussi Markenan. It's quite realistic that Roy wants Jiggy's experience in the room and on the bench. If something does happen to Varly for whatever reason I think Berra might be the one they go to.

I highly doubt it. Giguere gives them the best chance to win. Berra doesn't give us a better chance of winning, and Roy could care less of giving a backup some playoff experience.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
So Jiggy definitely took it a bit personally that they acquired Berra, but is putting aside his personal feelings and being a good teammate.

Must have been a tough conversation with Patrick. Having your idol basically tell you he can't count on you anymore.

"You could choose to be bitter and cranky, or you could choose to be a professional and enjoy the time you have left. I want to take it day to day and make the most of it," Giguere said. "It's not (Berra's) fault, and it's not my fault. It's just the way it is. He's a great guy, so I have nothing bad to say about him."

"It was an honest conversation, and sometimes honest ones aren't always the easiest," said Giguere, who has 261 victories in his career, with a Stanley Cup in 2007 with Anaheim and a Conn Smythe in 2003 with the then-Mighty Ducks despite losing to the New Jersey Devils. "But it was a good conversation in the sense that there was no secret as to where I stood, no gray area. If anything, I appreciate the talk that we had, because a lot of coaches sometimes tend to steer away from honesty, because it's not always an easy way to go.
Submit a Question

Patrick will tell you how it is, and sometimes as a player that's all you want. You want to know how it really is."

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche...iguere-leaning-toward-retirement-after-season

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Also:

Giguere has part-ownership in a junior team in Montreal, the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada, and plans to return there with his family when he's done playing.

Doesn't look like Giguere sticks around after to have a coaching/mentor role.

Mr Serious

Jul 23, 2011
Does Berra have Avs pads & mask yet?

He was wearing a white mask and pads (a little Calgary red in there) for his first game the other night.

479600441_slide.jpg

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
I was going to give Dater credit for writing an informative article but then I saw this gem.

And another about Seth Jones :rolleyes:

A) He's right about Chicago and B) He states that Jones has had a disappointing year

Not seeing what there is to complain about

R S

Sep 18, 2006

Haha, funny stuff.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
A) He's right about Chicago and B) He states that Jones has had a disappointing year

Not seeing what there is to complain about

How is he right, did we not lose 7-2 in Chicago two days after Christmas? I mean, state our record as better that's great but it's still not true. Obviously I have no problems saying Chicago should win a series. I doubt one person here or in print would say otherwise. My issue is getting basic facts incorrect.

Just bringing up the whole Jones vs MacKinnon thing, even though he's saying MacKinnon is better it's still an old storyline. His only reason for saying Jones has been disappointing is because he's -24. Many here would argue he hasn't been disappointing this year.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I highly doubt it. Giguere gives them the best chance to win. Berra doesn't give us a better chance of winning, and Roy could care less of giving a backup some playoff experience.

Jiggy gives the team the best chance to win? He hasn't done that since he fell off of a cliff after his winning streak. We don't know what Berra brings yet. For all we know he'll steal the next game he plays in. You don't think Jiggy will be helpful in the dressing room during the playoffs? He's been through it all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad