Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire D Devon Toews from NYI for 2021 2nd and 2022 2nd

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Screenshot_20211211-105907_Chrome.jpg

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Is there a longer term strategy with Toews? With his present play, it might be a mistake to let him go after his contract is over. On the other hand, given his age and anticipated salary demands, it may make re-signing him unappealing. In that case, do you trade him after next season to try and recoup value while you can?

I have no idea but the thought of seeing Toews walk for nothing after his contract is up concerns me.

Reactions: Reparlana

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Is there a longer term strategy with Toews? With his present play, it might be a mistake to let him go after his contract is over. On the other hand, given his age and anticipated salary demands, it may make re-signing him unappealing. In that case, do you trade him after next season to try and recoup value while you can?

I have no idea but the thought of seeing Toews walk for nothing after his contract is up concerns me.

I’ve got to think he commands 8+ when he becomes a UFA. After the Avs resign MacK, Byram, Newhook, Nuke, etc, I’m not sure they’ll be enough cap for him. Especially with Mikko, Landy, and Makar already locked up to big dollar deals.

Trading him isn’t an option while the team is contending imo. Just enjoy the 2 and a half more seasons we have him. Maybe the Avs get lucky and he takes a discount, but some team will offer him a lot of money if he continues to play the way he has since coming over from the Islanders.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I’ve got to think he commands 8+ when he becomes a UFA. After the Avs resign MacK, Byram, Newhook, Nuke, etc, I’m not sure they’ll be enough cap for him. Especially with Mikko, Landy, and Makar already locked up to big dollar deals.

Trading him isn’t an option while the team is contending imo. Just enjoy the 2 and a half more seasons we have him. Maybe the Avs get lucky and he takes a discount, but some team will offer him a lot of money if he continues to play the way he has since coming over from the Islanders.

FTR, I wouldn't trade either Toews or Girard at this point in time. That may change with Girard later in the season. But as between the two of them, I think Toews is the more versatile player.

Reactions: LTC Pain

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017

We have too many elite players unfortunately.. can't keep them all. I'm sure they'll keep him if it's possible.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018

If Barron or Helleson become legit players, we could trade Girard and use some of his cap hit to extend Toews to something like 6x7

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
If Barron or Helleson become legit players, we could trade Girard and use some of his cap hit to extend Toews to something like 6x7

Isn't Toews older? Like 29 our so? Not sure how long you want to extend him. I'm still smarting from Sakic's acquisition of Brad Stuart all these years later. But yeah, I'd be okay with doing something like that if Barron could replace Girard.

Right now, I'd rather see the Avs get healthy and then determine what the team's needs going into the POs really are. Sometimes I really like Sakic's patience and willingness not to panic.

Each season's iteration of the Avs under Sakic/JB is a little more interesting to me. I was sure our scoring would fall this year compared to last. Shows you how much I know.

We know they prefer skilled players with skating ability and the discipline to play under JB's system. Having a serviceable hockey IQ is a very important factor.

That means players like Zadorov, Comeau and Graves weren't a great fit. I'm struck by how players seem to offensively explode under JB's system.

I'm not convinced of the need to pick up a 2C at the moment. More players like NAK. Someone with the ability to skate, some hockey IQ and a little grit. The player I'd be most inclined to trade now would be Jost, even before Compher. The Avs need stronger forechecking and the ability to consistently win FOs.

The bigger need would be another D-man to replace Murray in the POs. Doesn't have to be a high end pickup - more interested in someone that plays in accordance with the Hippocratic oath. First, do not harm! That's the legacy of having Graves as a former Avs.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I wonder if Toews maintains this level, if he's the kind of player you move key pieces in order to keep

Because at this rate he's simply not a player you let walk in free agency, you ride fingers crossed on a 2 dollar goalie and move Girard to keep someone like Toews because to let him walk would be insane

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I wonder if Toews maintains this level, if he's the kind of player you move key pieces in order to keep

Because at this rate he's simply not a player you let walk in free agency, you ride fingers crossed on a 2 dollar goalie and move Girard to keep someone like Toews because to let him walk would be insane
It depends how Barron/Helleson pan out. If we have a couple players on ELCs, it will help our cap situation immensely

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Wonder what MacKinnon will be asking next summer. Mack shouted from the rooftops that he is taking less but that is all talk at this point + he also incorrectly said his last contract was signed as a discount. The Avs have to extend him as early as possible and not let it drag out like it did with everyone last season.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Wonder what MacKinnon will be asking next summer. Mack shouted from the rooftops that he is taking less but that is all talk at this point + he also incorrectly said his last contract was signed as a discount. The Avs have to extend him as early as possible and not let it drag out like it did with everyone last season.
EJ's expiration adds the potential for a $6M raise to MacKinnon's $6.3M. McDavid makes $12.5M I'd put matching that as the ceiling for MacKinnon as the meeting ground between "I've been underpaid for years" and "You don't think you deserve more than McJesus do you?"

A "discount" to me would be like $11M.

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
I’d like to find a way to keep him. We finally have a good D core. He has managed to be relatively healthy thus far in his pro career(minus this year)
I value him as highly as Makar and Byram.

Reactions: AvsFan29

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad