Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire D Devon Toews from NYI for 2021 2nd and 2022 2nd

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'm just loving the fact that Sakic targeted and got Toews. Yea, hind sight be what it is, I'd like to have an extra year, but seriously. Joe just stepped up and gave us a top pairing d-man for multiple years. There is no way in hell this was anything other than a home-run trade/signing by Sakic.

Joe is quickly becoming one of the best GMs in the league. That is the moral here. Let's just trust him until he makes another blunder. He deserves a mulligan after all the good he's done. All teams can carry one bad contract and the only one we have is for an aging d-man who was been a rock for his entire career. We need to figure out what we are doing with EJ. At this point, I would ask him to waive, with the incentive that we would do whatever is necessary to prevent him from being the pick. This guy more than anyone (including Gabe and Nate) deserves to hoist the cup. He was a bright spot in so many dark years, yes...he absolutely deserves respect from the team for this. Also, him winning while playing in a lower role will only lead to his legend...especially as an "A" for this team...and they need to fix this when he comes back. He absolutely deserves an "A".

No offense to Mikko, but his is the "A" to lose.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm just loving the fact that Sakic targeted and got Toews. Yea, hind sight be what it is, I'd like to have an extra year, but seriously. Joe just stepped up and gave us a top pairing d-man for multiple years. There is no way in hell this was anything other than a home-run trade/signing by Sakic.

Joe is quickly becoming one of the best GMs in the league. That is the moral here. Let's just trust him until he makes another blunder. He deserves a mulligan after all the good he's done. All teams can carry one bad contract and the only one we have is for an aging d-man who was been a rock for his entire career. We need to figure out what we are doing with EJ. At this point, I would ask him to waive, with the incentive that we would do whatever is necessary to prevent him from being the pick. This guy more than anyone (including Gabe and Nate) deserves to hoist the cup. He was a bright spot in so many dark years, yes...he absolutely deserves respect from the team for this. Also, him winning while playing in a lower role will only lead to his legend...especially as an "A" for this team...and they need to fix this when he comes back. He absolutely deserves an "A".

Mikko has been playing like a true leader for this team all season. He's been arguably our best and most consistent forward.

I love Erik Johnson, but until he can prove he won't be on the IR after a couple of games that "A" should remain on Mikko's jersey.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Mikko has been playing like a true leader for this team all season. He's been arguably our best and most consistent forward.

I love Erik Johnson, but until he can prove he won't be on the IR after a couple of games that "A" should remain on Mikko's jersey.
I'm not trying to take anything away from Mikko. In fact I had a post a few days ago about how I have undervalued him as a player.

That being said, EJ deserves the letter much more than Mikko. I'm cool with Mikko having it, but seriously, the shit EJ has seen and been through. I would be pissed if he was the Captain, but thankfully ROR solved that for us by being rightly upset with EL and his negotiation tactics. Gabe got it, that's good enough for me. He's been nothing but a sterling example of what a captain should be.

As for Mikko though....He's a f***ing stud, but his stud status will always carry an asterisks (*he played next to Nate) for the money he makes, he really needs to carry his own line. I've seen that in spurts, but since his normal place is next to Nate, I feel it is necessary to dock him a bit...he's not doing it himself. He still gets a B+ from me....

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

Sakic has undoubtedly done very well and is clearly a high-end GM. I'm curious to see if he can continue the run of successful and analytically-driven moves once Chris MacFarland moves on for a GM job though, because I get the sense that he could be very influential in a lot of the trades, most notably the Duchene trade which he reportedly had a huge part in setting up.

Reactions: xpatriatedtexan

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
That backcheck on the 2 on 1 after he pinched in damnnnnnnnnnnnn didn't think he was that fast.

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
That backcheck on the 2 on 1 after he pinched in damnnnnnnnnnnnn didn't think he was that fast.
Mentioned that to my friends I was watching the game with. Not only did he make a bad punch, he then hustled to neutralize the 2 on 1, prevented a shot by getting in a good position, then won the board battle in the corner and got the puck out. Couldn't have played it any better.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The Girard trade (yes, it's the Girard trade now since he's by far the best player. No longer the Duchene trade) is Sakic's masterpiece but getting a 27 year old top pair defenseman for two late 2nd round picks is right up there. Toews has surpassed all expectations for me already. I think someone mentioned it in one of the GDTs recently and I agree, he looks like Suter out there.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
The Girard trade (yes, it's the Girard trade now since he's by far the best player. No longer the Duchene trade) is Sakic's masterpiece but getting a 27 year old top pair defenseman for two late 2nd round picks is right up there. Toews has surpassed all expectations for me already. I think someone mentioned it in one of the GDTs recently and I agree, he looks like Suter out there.
Jacob MacDonald for a tomato is even better :sarcasm:

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Sakic has undoubtedly done very well and is clearly a high-end GM. I'm curious to see if he can continue the run of successful and analytically-driven moves once Chris MacFarland moves on for a GM job though, because I get the sense that he could be very influential in a lot of the trades, most notably the Duchene trade which he reportedly had a huge part in setting up.

We could just pull a Vegas, give Macfarland the GM role here, Sakic stays involved as VP

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

Sakic has built a monster of a blue line.

It took seemingly forever, but this is the group he’s been working to put together a long time.

He even doubled down by stocking the system with Helleson, Barron, and Timmins lol

Reactions: Richard88

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I'm glad Toews is surpassing even our wildest expectations of him. He's incredible.

He's only been held of the scoresheet 3 times all season. Currently on a 4 game multi point streak. 10 points in his last 5 games.

All while playing solid defence.

We have him signed for two more seasons at $4m.

Praise Sakic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad