Post-Game Talk: Avs 3, Pens 1 3/4/2015

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I wouldn't say tremendous, but he was good. Not sure what people calling him out are referring to.

YinzAintBurgh*

Did we watch the same game? The first one was a slap shot from the top of the circle. The second hit a skate. Letang had his guy covered and it was just a weird play. But sure, I will blame him just for the sake of argument. The 3rd goal has nothing to do with Letang (I'm not even sure he was on the ice). I believe you are referring to the waived off goal.

Yes, I was referring to the 2nd and waived off goal. Sorry, it was late. Letang was the worst defensemen/player out there yesterday and made the most glaring mistakes. Almost gave up two breakaways because he's trying to hold the blueline while the other D was pressured. Potentially 2 goals because he doesn't want to cover and clear out the crease. It's like the playoffs all over again.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
It´s possible that I missed some shifts then, but I was also referring to last games (like last 2 weeks). This game was soo boring and I was watching it at 04:00 AM in the Europe, so take it with the grain of salt. Crosby was definitely terrible, Hornqvist was acceptable and when it comes to Perron, maybe he had his moments but I just missed them. My apologies then, but I still have a feeling that there is a drop-off in Perron´s game lately. Hopefully I´m wrong.

Hophog

Aug 7, 2006
Hershey, PA
I watched the first period and went to bed in an effort to divest myself from a team that makes f**king a**hole decisions.

I'm with ya on this one. I stayed up and it obviously wasn't worth it. I'll probably stick it out a while longer to see if all the new guys can gel but from what I saw last night it looks like we have been made an even more boring team with the moves we made. Boring is okay if you are winning but boring when losing makes me think I should probably find a new hobby

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I think the concussion changed Sid. My guess is he changed his game to be more careful after coming back from the concussion issues and he's never really shaked those safer habits and gotten his game back to where it was pre-concussion. He used to park himself in tough areas and was a deflection machine the year he got that initial concussion. He rarely seems to score a deflection goal these days.

Also, I don't know if it's more clutch and grab, just the Pens, a league wide thing, or something else, but watching the game is like watching paint dry this year. I couldn't get enough hockey once upon a time. Now I'm bored and restless not even halfway through a game.

I suppose some of it may be the increased clutch and grab creeping in that some people were posting about. Some of it is probably the fact we can't score like we used to. The drop in offense is not totally surprising when you consider the decline of Kunitz, a little bit of a downgrade from Neal to Hornqvist in terms of pure scoring and Sid and Geno's down year.

It's hard to say really. When Sid returned from his concussion he was still willing to go into the blue paint from time to time. Granted not as much as before, but he was still willing to do it nonetheless. My biggest gripe with his however is that he seems to have lost that willingness to use his shot like we saw from pre-concussion Sid. He's reverted back to the more conservative, pass-first mentality that he showed during his first few seasons, which is counter-productive for him these days because his passing decisions have become painfully obvious and predictable. Now we see him in clear shooting lanes but is ALWAYS reluctant to actually take it himself!

Aside from that however, I'll agree that he basically NEVER drives to the net with the puck anymore. I remeber once upon a time he would be like a cannonball with the puck, constantly attempting to split defenders and going hard to the net with the puck, kinda like we see Geno do from time to time. Don't see that from him anymore...

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
It's weird but I think this team would be better without Crosby. He is playing lazy, useless hockey. I counted four times in the first two periods where he had a lane to the net and he circles away.

Please please just trade this guy.

Please please just never become an nhl gm.:shakehead

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I think we are over thinking things with Crosby. He's having a down year and I think it has hurt his confidence because he's never had a down year before. Perhaps he is thinking about MJ's system too much and it is causing him to hesitate, who knows? I don't think he will remain this inconsistent going forward. Sid is Sid's biggest critic and I'm sure he's not satisfied with his play this year.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I'm with ya on this one. I stayed up and it obviously wasn't worth it. I'll probably stick it out a while longer to see if all the new guys can gel but from what I saw last night it looks like we have been made an even more boring team with the moves we made. Boring is okay if you are winning but boring when losing makes me think I should probably find a new hobby
Yeah, it ruined my day basically. I was stupid enough to wake up for this game at 4:00 AM and going to the work right after that. Not only was I tired all day long but that game sucked so much that people around me had a hard time to communicate with me because I was just mad. Pathetic pathetic game and it´s really questionable whether this team is worth such a sacrifice.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Even in a bad season like this, Sid had dominant games. He still has the game and weapons, but the difference is consistency now. He was known for being the most consistent guy in the league, rarely having bad games. This year, he has had like 30 bad games already. if this continues in the playoffs, then it´s a definite sign for me that there is something truly wrong with Crosby. Right now, I just hope that he´s saving some energy and maybe has some secret agreement with Johnston about not going to the risky areas and things like that. I just hope that he comes like a man possessed in the playoffs, that´s what we need from him and that´s what I will judge when it comes to Crosby. There might be something that we don´t know about him now.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Glad I didn't see this. Sounded bad. Did Sid look like he didn't care again?

Frustrating as he could still get 90 points if he pushes himself. 26 in 19.

Tumty

Aug 18, 2012
Finland
It's hard to say really. When Sid returned from his concussion he was still willing to go into the blue paint from time to time. Granted not as much as before, but he was still willing to do it nonetheless. My biggest gripe with his however is that he seems to have lost that willingness to use his shot like we saw from pre-concussion Sid. He's reverted back to the more conservative, pass-first mentality that he showed during his first few seasons, which is counter-productive for him these days because his passing decisions have become painfully obvious and predictable. Now we see him in clear shooting lanes but is ALWAYS reluctant to actually take it himself!

Aside from that however, I'll agree that he basically NEVER drives to the net with the puck anymore. I remeber once upon a time he would be like a cannonball with the puck, constantly attempting to split defenders and going hard to the net with the puck, kinda like we see Geno do from time to time. Don't see that from him anymore...

You know, i was thinking. What Sid is missing too is those direction goals. He hasnt scored any direction goals this season.

StutzlesTapeJob

Dec 22, 2008
They were raving about Perron in the post game on the radio. Said he was tremendous.

I thought perron's game, or i should say his attempt to play a strong game was very apparent. He had some epic battles, didn't back down, didn't take penalties, and didn't do anything stupid. He showed some true grit and jam. Some nice cycle plays.

Since horny got on that line Perron's role seems a bit lost. I notice that line being particularly bad with zone entry and 3 on 3's. They tend to start floating toward the middle near the top of the circle, yet not in a way that drives the lane and creates space. It basically just creates an impenetrable cluster F.

That line has 3 guys who can shoot, and all have strength and hands near the net. They should simplify. Get over the blue, Drop, Drive, Shot on net.

However, nothing Perron nor horns did last night was going to translate into success because Sid was just SO off. I'm not going to destroy Sid. My gripes with parts of his game/leadership are known. Last night was one of the only times i can say the effort just wasn't there to smooth out some of the bad decision making.

Sid is stuck in chegg mode. He doesn't have space because he isn't doing what it takes to create it. He's not shooting to back off the D, not dumping when the pass isn't there, not driving wide when players step up. He's become easy to defend and collapse around.

Contrast to current malkin who is just toying with the D. The d backs off and he shoots or passes. The D try to wall things off at the dots, he cuts to the middle and finds space (scrores). Next shift they take away the middle, he goes wide and hard to the net. Perfect blend of patience, aggression, and offensive IQ.

Sid just needs to remove head from ass and make smarter hockey decisions, not just smarter puck decisions. He has plenty of talent on his line. no one to blame but himself.

Notes:

+ Strong game by winnick. He plays well against a hard physical D. Knows how to possession battle below the goal and in the corners and create from it.

+ Fleury. Was actually amazing. That game should have been 7-1.

= Lovejoy. A little over aggressive and rushed decisions. You can tell the pens forwards are not used to covering for a D man who steps up physically at the blueline. I hope the F's adjust more than JoyLove. He clearly is playing at a higher level than despres or borts was. AND i am a big despres fan. I'll keep an open mind.

+ Bottom 6. not nearly perfect but relative to ourselves, it was a much better showing than usual.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Think it was the second goal where Crosby's work alarmed me the most. He just...didn't make a play on Landeskog. He was there in time to do so if he wanted. No stick on the ice, no pokecheck, no slash at the stick or hands, no nothing.

He played him the way Yakupov plays people. Stick 1 foot in the air in no specific place for no specific reason or purpose.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I'll add something else to the Sid discussion.

The way he behaves on the PP, and the way he's become predictable with his whole pulling up on the wall routine and passing it to the far point?

Forget injuries. Forget the wrist. Forget the concussion.

He looks like he hasn't been coached in 6 years. Looks like he's basically never been told what to do for a good long while.

Last edited:

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I'll add something else to the Sid discussion.

The way he behaves on the PP, and the way he's become predictable with his whole pulling up on the wall routine and passing it to the far point?

Forget injuries. Forget the wrist. Forget the concussion.

He looks like he hasn't been coached in 6 years. Looks like he's basically never been told what to do for a good long while.

Hasn't been coached or is just DIFFICULT to coach? I mean do any of us really know how someone like Sid would respond to direction or even criticism from the guy behind the bench? Maybe he's just given carte blanche to play as he feels?

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Even in a bad season like this, Sid had dominant games. He still has the game and weapons, but the difference is consistency now. He was known for being the most consistent guy in the league, rarely having bad games. This year, he has had like 30 bad games already. if this continues in the playoffs, then it´s a definite sign for me that there is something truly wrong with Crosby. Right now, I just hope that he´s saving some energy and maybe has some secret agreement with Johnston about not going to the risky areas and things like that. I just hope that he comes like a man possessed in the playoffs, that´s what we need from him and that´s what I will judge when it comes to Crosby. There might be something that we don´t know about him now.

Didn't he start of the season on an absolutely torrid pace? I remember he was averaging around 2 pts per game a month into the season and was playing mind-blowing, dominant hockey.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Didn't he start of the season on an absolutely torrid pace? I remember he was averaging around 2 pts per game a month into the season and was playing mind-blowing, dominant hockey.
He did. I would like to hear some Sid´s quotes about the current situation. I mean, honest quotes, not the usual diplomatic BS. There has to be something...

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
He did. I would like to hear some Sid´s quotes about the current situation. I mean, honest quotes, not the usual diplomatic BS. There has to be something...

I'm sure we all would. The answer is either:

- Nagging injury. There may be something to this, given the whole ASG fiasco, his struggles with faceoffs, and his general lack of jump and dominance.

or

- Just plain off year. In that case, what answers does Sid have to give? I'm sure he's as frustrated as we are if he's in good health but still struggling.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Caught this little tidbit on my twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/emptynetters/status/573547974388641792

Now these 2 guys train together. Nate hugged Sid on his birthday. These guys are pretty close.

So i go back to the thing i've been saying for quite awhile. Sid isn't enjoying being a professional hockey player right now. Burnt out? Not happy with the new regime? Pining for Babcock? Frustrated with his wrist injury not fully healing?

I dunno but theres something there.

Some nights, he just feels like competing and he looks like normal Sid. But for most of the year, he looks like his mind is far away from the rink.

Last edited:

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
there are so many possible explanations for sids poor play and many of them seem reasonable.

i dont think anyone should speak with authority on what is bothering sid. there are like 5-8 things that are quite plausible.

random down year, concussion, various injuries and wear and tear, wrist injury, years of poor coaching taking its toll, years of playing for dysfunctional organization taking its toll, current state of officiating, something in his personal life, etc. impossible to know which it is.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
there are so many possible explanations for sids poor play and many of them seem reasonable.

i dont think anyone should speak with authority on what is bothering sid. there are like 5-8 things that are quite plausible.

random down year, concussion, various injuries and wear and tear, wrist injury, years of poor coaching taking its toll, years of playing for dysfunctional organization taking its toll, current state of officiating, something in his personal life, etc. impossible to know which it is.

If he that's unhappy with the way things are going he needs to flex his muscle as the face of the franchise and ask for changes.

But yeah there's a lot of explanations and that's what is frustrating is only Sid knows the answer to most of these.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
I'm starting to wonder if Sid is burned out. Between his injuries, years wasted on Bylsma, the direction of the league... Mario got burned out from being a target every game and NHL incompetence, and he had some size to him.

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner...

I really believe that looking at the evidence with your eyes, and trying to imagine what conclusion best fits that evidence, that's the conclusion I draw. Sid has, for whatever reason, lost his "fire," his competitiveness, for the most part. Rarely do I see a game where I'd say "Sid was emotionally into it, big time...he played with true fire, enthusiasm, and determination."

I believe that something -- injuries, pressure to be the "face of the league," the penalties/obstruction/interference, whatever it might be -- has worn him down to a place where, sad to say, there's a lot of the Therrien "he doan care" going on with Sid the past couple of years. I truly believe that. In Geno, you can see the passion, the fire, quite often. With Sid, it seems to show it self in fewer and fewer games as time goes on. Very sad...

shizno*

Feb 28, 2012

huh...you've been ragging on him and speculating every game night lol

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
I never pass up a chance to post this :D

Ovechkin-Controller-GIF.gif

That might be the laziest play I've ever seen in a pro hockey game...

Appalling...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad