Post-Game Talk: Aves 4 Canucks 2 (Lammikko quest for 0 in 82 is over)

Feb 20, 2013
Canucks dominant?
:huh:

The Avs coasted all game and turned it up just enough when they had to to win.

8 years into Benning's tenure and top teams just toy with us. It's pathetic.

They were dominant in all aspects of ES play, shots, chances, expected goals, and goals. It's not really arguable.

I get it though: when another team plays poorly its just that they were resting. Nothing could possibly be the result of the Canucks doing anything positive...

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
They were dominant in all aspects of ES play, shots, chances, expected goals, and goals. It's not really arguable.

I get it though: when another team plays poorly its just that they were resting. Nothing could possibly be the result of the Canucks doing anything positive...

That team was also missing Nathan MacKinnon, Bowen Byram, JT Compher, Matt Calvert, Martin Kaut.

Ya the Avs didn't play well and were missing key players. The Nucks loss is all that much worse when thinking about what will happen when they play teams not beat up.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
We played a very good 2nd period and/or Colorado was poor. In terms of play advantage over the opposition, it might have been the team’s best period this year.

Our first and 3rd periods were not good and we were outplayed.

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I still am not understanding what is going on...

Like... they said they were a playoff team and going to make the playoffs. They won't, that's done. This team isn't making the playoffs and will struggle to not be in the bottom 5 in the league.

So now the question turns to "what happens next?" But thus far it feels like the organization is basically saying "This is all fine except the PK!"

Am I the crazy one here? This is insane.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Like... they said they were a playoff team and going to make the playoffs. They won't, that's done. This team isn't making the playoffs and will struggle to not be in the bottom 5 in the league.

So now the question turns to "what happens next?" But thus far it feels like the organization is basically saying "This is all fine except the PK!"

You’re not crazy but management is convinced their on the right path and the media, overall, is pretty willing to play along. Even the local ones skeptical don’t frame the season as lost.

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
You’re not crazy but management is convinced their on the right path and the media, overall, is pretty willing to play along. Even the local ones skeptical don’t frame the season as lost.

.... I do love being positive but this is insane.

The Canucks haven't even hit hard parts of their schedule yet really and have actually been lucky with how banged up some of these teams have been.

Vegas : missing a number of guys
Colorado : missing a number of guys

The shift that will have to happen for them to be even a .500 team will have to be huge.

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
.... I do love being positive but this is insane.

The Canucks haven't even hit hard parts of their schedule yet really and have actually been lucky with how banged up some of these teams have been.

Vegas : missing a number of guys
Colorado : missing a number of guys

The shift that will have to happen for them to be even a .500 team will have to be huge.

Well yeah, they are incompetent. Grasping at whatever straws they can.

And media, at least this newer generation, likes to be far more neutral in their assessment. That’s why you see the older guys (Donnie, Sekeres, and Price) be openly angry (and get reprimanded) while the younger guys frame it as “the season isn’t lost but it’s awfully close” or “Benning’s team building strategy is flawed”.

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Well yeah, they are incompetent. Grasping at whatever straws they can.

And media, at least this newer generation, likes to be far more neutral in their assessment. That’s why you see the older guys (Donnie, Sekeres, and Price) be openly angry (and get reprimanded) while the younger guys frame it as “the season isn’t lost but it’s awfully close” or “Benning’s team building strategy is flawed”.

Well the 650 guys keep talking about the analytics "not being as bad as we think!"

Literally this makes zero difference. Zero.

No one cares in the slightest how many passes you complete or how many offensive zone chances you create per 3 mins and 30 seconds.

Anyone with a brain can watch these games and realize "Oh! this is a bad team" especially when you watch various other games around the league.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

It’s been insane for 7 years.

We have a GM leading an $800m organization who appears to be borderline mentally handicapped and everyone just accepts it as perfectly normal.

VintageBure

Jun 7, 2018
It’s been insane for 7 years.

We have a GM leading an $800m organization who appears to be borderline mentally handicapped and everyone just accepts it as perfectly normal.
100 % living in a simulation

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
This is why I pretty much just ignore all media here. I’ll pay attention on rumors, reports, etc. but the day to day chatter is so stupid. Still, the younger generation of media here understand that their opinions are permanently logged and every time they are wrong it gets thrown back in their face. Hedging and providing outs allows them to avoid that. It’s frustrating and pretty disingenuous, though.

I’ve been running a spreadsheet based on the expected GF/GA. The Canucks have underperformed their record according to that but they still aren’t a playoff team. Watching them play they look absolutely hideous.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

The hope is to have the PK figured out by the start of next season. Patience

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
They should keep getting smoked in the first 10 minutes. Take a penalty. Give up a goal. Then they can dominate. Lol

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
This is why I pretty much just ignore all media here. I’ll pay attention on rumors, reports, etc. but the day to day chatter is so stupid. Still, the younger generation of media here understand that their opinions are permanently logged and every time they are wrong it gets thrown back in their face. Hedging and providing outs allows them to avoid that. It’s frustrating and pretty disingenuous, though.

I’ve been running a spreadsheet based on the expected GF/GA. The Canucks have underperformed their record according to that but they still aren’t a playoff team. Watching them play they look absolutely hideous.

That is quit the hedge to be calling the Nucks a playoff team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad