OT: Avalounge: What happens in Vegas...

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Are we really that convinced Elon Musk is that brilliant an inventor? I actually think his business acumen is much better than his so-called ability to engineer things.

Of course Meeqs knows I'm no fan of EM.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Are we really that convinced Elon Musk is that brilliant an inventor? I actually think his business acumen is much better than his so-called ability to engineer things.

Of course Meeqs knows I'm no fan of EM.
A mutual friend of mine, works for SpaceX and said he can be a nightmare to work for. He's similar to Steve Jobs in a way that he's an idealist, and not a great engineer. He has great vision but crazy expectations sometimes unrealistic.

Reactions: Pokecheque

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Lost close to 15 lbs in the past 5 weeks. Imagine how much more I would have lost if I stopped going to Panda to get the honey walnut shrimp every week or so.
Losing all that excess Taco bell weight, eh? Good work though man.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Just finished listening to the Rogan podcast with Musk, and the backlash from him smoking a joint is both hilarious and sad. Apparently the government is looking into this 'alarming' behaviour :laugh:
I know. I saw headlines like "Elon Musk smokes pot, drinks whiskey on podcast". Hey, it doesn't matter.

That said though, if that MFer doesn't sleep he'll have Alzheimer's or something soon. And we'll have a killer movie about him. Someone's gonna have to do some serious character study.

Last edited:

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I think Musk is trying to emulate his heros: Tesla and Hughes, but he is not quite the genius that Tesla was (even he will admit that), nor is he quite the inventor/innovator and business leader that Hughes was. He is edging towards matching them in crazy though. Which kind of sucks, as I love his vision for future projects. But I think he needs to back off a bit, take a vacation, let some trusted 2ICs handle things and rein himself in. I am not sure he is capable of that though. He may need to crash out completely for other to be given the chance to right the ship.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I’m not a big EM fan either. But some of his ideas have been great. I think (not 100% sure) he was the inventor of PayPal, which was pretty innovative at the time.

The whole electric car idea isn’t all that original though - he’s just had the balls and money to go after it. A lot of ideas I’ve seen that have come out of Musk too are from interns and people within his company and not exactly Musk himself.

I don’t think he’s an engineer at all - if he is, he’s a lousy one. Just a guy with a lot of ideas, a lot of money, no idea how to exactly implement them, and a crazy/weird personality.

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
Wish me luck. Baby shower is today. I have to try and be classy.
My husband’s coworkers threw him a diaper party yesterday and it looked way more fun. Beer pong and cheeseburgers and whiskey. I get tiny sandwiches and mimosas lol.
Also I somehow accidentally scheduled it right during the bronco game. Luckily all of these people know I’m not classy so I can pull on my jersey half way through.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Elon Musk is an unlikeable clown with a Napoleonic complex. I'm sick to my stomach my countryman's Tesla's name is associated with a guy like that.

Reactions: McMetal

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Wish me luck. Baby shower is today. I have to try and be classy.
My husband’s coworkers threw him a diaper party yesterday and it looked way more fun. Beer pong and cheeseburgers and whiskey. I get tiny sandwiches and mimosas lol.
Also I somehow accidentally scheduled it right during the bronco game. Luckily all of these people know I’m not classy so I can pull on my jersey half way through.

Class is overrated Sam. Better to be yourself ;)

hold3n

Registered Loser
Jul 15, 2011
London, ON
I don’t think he’s an engineer at all - if he is, he’s a lousy one.
He has a degree in physics, a degree in economics and was pursuing a PhD in applied physics and material science... so pretty much materials engineering though he can't legally call himself an engineer.

AvHooligan

Oct 10, 2015
I don't understand the hate for Elon Musk. I don't agree with everything he's said but you can tell he genuinely wants to make the world a better place. His heart seems to be in the right place, which is more than I can say for most people with that much power and influence.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I don't understand the hate for Elon Musk. I don't agree with everything he's said but you can tell he genuinely wants to make the world a better place. His heart seems to be in the right place, which is more than I can say for most people with that much power and influence.
google "elon musk pedo guy"
google "elon musk ex wife"

sure

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
So after seeing how generous everyone is with baby showers I’m convinced the expensive part of having a baby is the ridiculous amounts of toilet paper I’ve been using hahaha (obviously I know this isn’t true but I use so much toilet paper right now)

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Eh just wait - baby showers help but there’s stuff your baby will hate but they may love it 4 weeks later. Also clothes and diapers go so dang quick. We only had our little guy in newborn clothes for like 5 days. I probably spent about 300 bucks on diapers and just ran out of them so I’m kind of bummed right now about that.

Best advice I did get though with the kid - have a diaper party and buy diapers during pregnancy to smooth out the expenses over time. There’s a few sites out there with projected # of diapers you’ll use for each size and so far those have been pretty accurate for us.

Reactions: agentblack

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Musk is a very smart guy with some utterly brilliant ideas (and the wherewithal to pull them off)... but he falls into that Howard Hughes sort of trap. So brilliant, so flawed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad