OT: Avalounge: What happens in Vegas...

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'll believe it when I see it. He launched a car...yay.

Sorry if that came off serious I was being facetious. As has been said earlier, I don’t think he’s overall a brilliant inventor. I think he just has the money to see if peoples ideas can be successful or not.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
He definitely isn't perfect and has f***ed up in more than one situation, no doubt about that. However I do enjoy listening to him, he's an interesting guy.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
What exactly has he done that's so positive?
Any such engineering work is likely to have some positive outcomes. Look at NASA's work. Now, I don't really know about it, but there's no way he could've done all that and not advance research in anything. You need magnates like him to pump money into research to advance it, especially in a field like this.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
The thing I don’t like about Musk is that he seems to believe he’s above criticism. He is constantly fighting with people that short his company and he absolutely refuses to come to grips with the fact he’s a poor operations manager and desperately needs help. On one hand it’s sad to watch but I think his ego gets in the way of his success pretty often.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The thing I don’t like about Musk is that he seems to believe he’s above criticism. He is constantly fighting with people that short his company and he absolutely refuses to come to grips with the fact he’s a poor operations manager and desperately needs help. On one hand it’s sad to watch but I think his ego gets in the way of his success pretty often.

You say that... then read the Model 3 was the #5 selling car in the US in August. Not #5 in EV, not #5 in luxury... #5 in passenger cars. Highest selling domestic car. Outsold all other compact luxury car like the A4/3 series/C class combined. Musk is insanely polarizing and notiriously difficult to work for. But ask any auto executive if Tesla would have the highest selling domestic car in any month and it is an EV... they’d laugh you out of the room and have you committed. It isn’t the doom and gloom press, but that success alone is a miracle that should not be overlooked.

Another interesting idea with that #5 ranking... those are in unit sales. In revenue, the model 3 is likely to be the #1 car in revenue produced.

Last edited:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
You say that... then read the Model 3 was the #5 selling car in the US in August. Not #5 in EV, not #5 in luxury... #5 in passenger cars. Highest selling domestic car. Outsold all other compact luxury car like the A4/3 series/C class combined. Musk is insanely polarizing and notiriously difficult to work for. But ask any auto executive if Tesla would have the highest selling domestic car in any month and it is an EV... they’d laugh you out of the room and have you committed. It isn’t the doom and gloom press, but that success alone is a miracle that should not be overlooked.

Another interesting idea with that #5 ranking... those are in unit sales. In revenue, the model 3 is likely to be the #1 car in revenue produced.
How much does it cost to produce? How good are they on the expected delivery dates? Where does Tesla rank in reliability reports? Selling a lot of stuff means little if the end product is not all that well know for reliability, buyers have to wait for it for e(l)ons and you're hemorrhaging money on each one you produce.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'll concede he's moved the needle more than a lot of other people when it comes to getting more electric autos produced, but I think his level of supposed genius and the impact he's made have all been exaggerated to an insane degree.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
How much does it cost to produce? How good are they on the expected delivery dates? Where does Tesla rank in reliability reports? Selling a lot of stuff means little if the end product is not all that well know for reliability, buyers have to wait for it for e(l)ons and you're hemorrhaging money on each one you produce.

An engineering firm who is very highly regarded in this area states that Tesla has a gross margin of 30% on the Model 3. Highest of any electric vehicle and that is pretty damn high industry wide. Couple this with the news of Tesla approaching the $100 per kWh... the odds are high it is going to be even more profitable soon.

https://jalopnik.com/engineering-firm-that-said-tesla-model-3-quality-was-li-1827632866

Now that doesn't stop the issue of cash burn and the Model 3 stemming the tide. The bet here was always that the Model 3 would have enough margin and enough volume.... quickly enough to hold off the eventual cash collapse. That has yet to be seen and we won't know for probably another year... but the signs are there that the hail mary bet could work.

The delivery dates have significantly improved since they dropped the stupid reservation system. Tesla knows they need cash so they are building the high margin models with the options (smart business, but drops the 35k thing in general). If you get the right options, ~3-4 months is the current experience (Tesla is quoting within 2 now on the performance version). Not much different than ordering a BMW or Mercedes honestly. You can't go to a Tesla lot and buy one obviously, but the timeframe is within ordering custom options from any automaker. German delivery of a BMW takes about 12 weeks to go through consistently for people in the US.

Reliability reports, 100% agree that it is important and Tesla needs to figure that out. It seems the kinks are being worked out in a similar way to how the Model S shaped up. The initial cars were crap and it took 30-40k units to really dial it in. It will likely take more than that for the Model 3, but it seems there is a positive trend there. Now I'd say what is more important than reliability is owner satisfaction... and Tesla is by far the top car manufacturer in that year after year. People love their Teslas when they get them, and that goes a hell of a long ways to forgiving the sins of the reliability. Now they can't count on that lasting forever as they go mainstream, so it is an issue that they have to solve.

I think it is very easy to overlook the accomplishment of selling 15-20k units per month as an upstart automaker in the 21st century. There hasn't been an American automaker to reach this level of success as a start up since Chrysler in the 1920s. Delorean tried and failed hard. Tucker did the same. Yeah they might still crash and burn and there is good reason for skepticism.., that doesn't mean what they have already accomplished isn't incredible. They could shutter the doors today and have produced well over 20 times the amount of vehicles that Delorean did. To me, that alone is impressive.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Has anybody ever stated "I have really ****y musical taste"
People should because having to listen to country or modern day hip-pop should be a criminal offence. I had to listen to this Godawful country song the other day about having guns in pickup trucks and how that still makes him a man.
It’s not all bad. But when it’s bad it’s horrrribbblleee
A lot of the stuff that comes out of Sweden is pretty terribad. Germany, Netherlands, and Belgium is where the 90s Dance scene exploded into one of the best musical eras ever along with 80s wave.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
People should because having to listen to country or modern day hip-pop should be a criminal offence. I had to listen to this Godawful country song the other day about having guns in pickup trucks and how that still makes him a man.

People have different tastes and are self-centered enough to always think their taste is good.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'm not the biggest country music fan but give me a guy with a guitar and a cowboy hat any time over that electronic music thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad