GDT: Avalanche vs Stars 4/7/24 @ 8:00PM MNT (Emergency GDT) We need the points. Just win!

How many goals will Georgiev let in tonight?

• 4giev

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • 4giev? more like 5giev

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • it's obviously 6eorgiev from here on out.

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • God help us it's more than 6eorgiev.

Votes: 19 35.2%

• Total voters

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
We need to get at least over Winnipeg. I usually don't mind that much whether we get home ice or not. But damn our road record speaks for itself 19-16-5. It's worse when you compare that to the other top teams.

Reactions: GeoRox89

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
When playoffs start, you can throw away all the regular season numbers which includes the head to head match ups, road and home records etc.. it’s a whole new season. One thing I know for sure is that the Avs have to play much better defensively and Georgiev needs to play much better in net for this team to go far in the playoffs.

We have a good overall record, but a lot of the wins this year have been coming from behind. The defensive game has been bad all year and it needs to change in the playoffs. Constantly falling behind and trying to come back isn’t gonna work in postseason

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
We need to get at least over Winnipeg. I usually don't mind that much whether we get home ice or not. But damn our road record speaks for itself 19-16-5. It's worse when you compare that to the other top teams.
IIRC the Avs are currently have the largest discrepancy in goal differential from home to away. They are -10 on the road.

• Wow
Reactions: Spilot23

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
We can quibble all we want about each individual goal Georgiev allows but his numbers are awful across the board. Look at the season as a whole and he's among the worst in the NHL in pretty much every category used to evaluate good goaltending.
And for people claiming the Avs are playing poorly defensively consider in /60 rates the Avs are:

6th in Corsi
13th in High Danger chances against
6th in Medium Danger chances against
18th in Low Danger chances against

24th in High Danger SV%
8th in Medium Danger SV%
25th in Low Danger SV%

By all metrics Georgiev is letting them down. Especially because Annunen actually props those save percentage numbers up.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
And for people claiming the Avs are playing poorly defensively consider in /60 rates the Avs are:

6th in Corsi
13th in High Danger chances against
6th in Medium Danger chances against
18th in Low Danger chances against

24th in High Danger SV%
8th in Medium Danger SV%
25th in Low Danger SV%

By all metrics Georgiev is letting them down. Especially because Annunen actually props those save percentage numbers up.
Thanks for putting some real stats out there. It really shows how bad George has been. Does fine on mid danger, and garbage on high danger, and utter trash on low danger.

I'm not asking for top tier just mid level on these categories would be excellent by me.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Thanks for putting some real stats out there. It really shows how bad George has been. Does fine on mid danger, and garbage on high danger, and utter trash on low danger.

I'm not asking for top tier just mid level on these categories would be excellent by me.
The most worrisome is low danger. If he is not making high danger saves, ok. He's a 3.5M backup goalie being asked to be a starter. But you are that bad on low danger chances?

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
The most worrisome is low danger. If he is not making high danger saves, ok. He's a 3.5M backup goalie being asked to be a starter. But you are that bad on low danger chances?
Agreed. High danger I'd like slightly higher like 18th-20th would be fine but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. The low danger is pathetic you aren't winning anything in the playoffs with those kind of numbers.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
He’s such a frustrating goalie. Worse than Kuemper for making some great saves then letting the team down by letting in a goal that should almost never go in at the NHL level

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
Clearly Bednar isn't a throw them under the bus type.

But usually he's a straight shooter, which his answers lately don't read straight shooter. I agree that his body language reads pissed off, even his morning presser read pissed off.

Honestly I just get the feeling he doesn't know what to do and is a deer in headlights. GM loaded up at the deadline, expectations are high and his team is playing utter garbage disjointed lazy hockey, none of the lines are gelling, the defense is all over the place, and to top it all off his starter couldn't save a beach ball.

At the end of the day there is only so much the coaches can do, and I'm guessing they've exhausted all those resources. At end of the day someone other than 29 needs to show up. It's not fair to expect 29 to flat carry every game and expect 2+ points every night from him. Where's the new depth, where's Cale, where is Rants, where is the team defensive structure, and most importantly where is goalie who's sole job is stop the puck which he isn't remotely doing often enough.

The coaches can't make these things work. The system hasn't suddenly changed. These guys know what is needed to win hockey games in the system and they simply not putting in the effort necessary to make it happen right now. You can't coach effort.
Nailed it.

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014

But usually he's a straight shooter, which his answers lately don't read straight shooter. I agree that his body language reads pissed off, even his morning presser read pissed off.

Honestly I just get the feeling he doesn't know what to do and is a deer in headlights. GM loaded up at the deadline, expectations are high and his team is playing utter garbage disjointed lazy hockey, none of the lines are gelling, the defense is all over the place, and to top it all off his starter couldn't save a beach ball.

At the end of the day there is only so much the coaches can do, and I'm guessing they've exhausted all those resources. At end of the day someone other than 29 needs to show up. It's not fair to expect 29 to flat carry every game and expect 2+ points every night from him. Where's the new depth, where's Cale, where is Rants, where is the team defensive structure, and most importantly where is goalie who's sole job is stop the puck which he isn't remotely doing often enough.

The coaches can't make these things work. The system hasn't suddenly changed. These guys know what is needed to win hockey games in the system and they simply not putting in the effort necessary to make it happen right now. You can't coach effort.

The one element that is a bummer tho is effort. Watching a full 15 minute game, where effort is periodic, where one or two might dial up high energy spurts, and this becomes a fleeting moment rule instead of the exception. Collectively the low level effort definitely become infectious... agonizing to watch. Not a good product being fielded atm.

So as you said... exhausted all those resources -- yep. What we are likely seeing now is having reached that point of needing to let nature run its course??

Not saying this would fix it but man, do they miss Landy, EJ, etc.. or what..

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
So, is this malaise a result of guys being burned out from playing too many minutes? Or is it just dog-shit hockey?

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
So, is this malaise a result of guys being burned out from playing too many minutes? Or is it just dog-shit hockey?
I really hope it's just regular season fatigue. That the boys are just checked out and ready for the playoffs. Because if it's not.... Yeeesh it's ugly.

My main concern is George. He's been bad for so long now, I don't think he's checked out. I think he's just mentally broken.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Georgiev used to have long hair and as soon as he would make a big save or would allow a goal he would take off his mask and shake his hair for a few seconds. That could have given him a huge confidence.

Georgiev needs to grow out his hair because he used to be a top 5 - 10 goaler with long hair.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Probably 34 pages of bashing Georgiev here right? Again, this is not a defence post because I never really care(d) about defending him, but in the first three goals last night, not a single defenceman in front to help take away rebounds or a loose stick. Those will lose playoff games regardless of whether it is Annunen, Angeryiev, Roy, Kuemper, or Grubauer.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

I disagree. I think he knows exactly what to do.

He's going to go with George as the starter as long as it's feasible to do so and won't switch to Justus unless he has to.

The reason for that is because the opposite probably won't work. Go with Justus now and if he can't cut it - going back to George won't work, imo.

Playoff hockey is a whole other animal and if the team in front of him plays better/harder it's going to make his job easier and he could turn it around.

Still, I think it's very likely we see Annunen at some point in the playoffs and there's a chance that once he gets in there he might take the net and not give it back.

I really hope it's just regular season fatigue. That the boys are just checked out and ready for the playoffs. Because if it's not.... Yeeesh it's ugly.

My main concern is George. He's been bad for so long now, I don't think he's checked out. I think he's just mentally broken.
Good news on that front is that our last 4 games are spread over 10 days with 2 seperate 3 day breaks...gotta rest and reset 3-4 guys for sure.

I would love for Bednar to give Mitts 2 linemates and stick with those guys for these last 4 games...build some chemistry and get some continuity. The guy probably hasn't played 2 games straight with the same guys on his wings since he got here.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Probably 34 pages of bashing Georgiev here right? Again, this is not a defence post because I never really care(d) about defending him, but in the first three goals last night, not a single defenceman in front to help take away rebounds or a loose stick. Those will lose playoff games regardless of whether it is Annunen, Angeryiev, Roy, Kuemper, or Grubauer.
I really think his teammates hate him. A few games ago Devon Toews gave him the stink eye in that Nashville game after he chucked the puck at a fan.

I disagree. I think he knows exactly what to do.

He's going to go with George as the starter as long as it's feasible to do so and won't switch to Justus unless he has to.

The reason for that is because the opposite probably won't work. Go with Justus now and if he can't cut it - going back to George won't work, imo.

Playoff hockey is a whole other animal and if the team in front of him plays better/harder it's going to make his job easier and he could turn it around.

Still, I think it's very likely we see Annunen at some point in the playoffs and there's a chance that once he gets in there he might take the net and not give it back.

Good news on that front is that our last 4 games are spread over 10 days with 2 seperate 3 day breaks...gotta rest and reset 3-4 guys for sure.

I would love for Bednar to give Mitts 2 linemates and stick with those guys for these last 4 games...build some chemistry and get some continuity. The guy probably hasn't played 2 games straight with the same guys on his wings since he got here.
Yup. You risk breaking Fourgievs confidence forever. Everyone knows how delicate these goalies are. Fine line and a coach needs to be extra careful.

Reactions: S E P H

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Really don’t like how Girard has played since the deadline. Feels like he was playing to not get traded, and then once he wasn’t, he let up.

1st goal, he turns the puck over on the outlet pass, and they go back down ice and score.

5th goal, he for some reason takes himself out of position to make a hit along the boards on the PK, then lets his man beat him to the front of the net and score, because he just coasted back.

6th goal, too soft defensively in front of the net, and gets beat to the loose puck.

Twice he almost got burned on the slide play too. There’s been a couple others in recent games as well. He needs to either work on that play so he’s better at it, or stop doing it.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Really don’t like how Girard has played since the deadline. Feels like he was playing to not get traded, and then once he wasn’t, he let up.

1st goal, he turns the puck over on the outlet pass, and they go back down ice and score.

5th goal, he for some reason takes himself out of position to make a hit along the boards on the PK, then lets his man beat him to the front of the net and score, because he just coasted back.

6th goal, too soft defensively in front of the net, and gets beat to the loose puck.

Twice he almost got burned on the slide play too. There’s been a couple others in recent games as well. He needs to either work on that play so he’s better at it, or stop doing it.
He has been awful lately. Walker hasn't been much better. One of those two is going to have limited minutes come playoffs even as the Avs go down to 5D but I am hoping it is Girard.

Walker seems to be more sturdy and harder to play against down low than Girard.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019

Ya Girards play has ironically tanked since the Byram trade. Don't really think it's related its just the timing of it. Maybe a let off that it wasn't him so he relaxed? Not sure but he needs to reset.

I hope his issues are not rearing its ugly head.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
He has been awful lately. Walker hasn't been much better. One of those two is going to have limited minutes come playoffs even as the Avs go down to 5D but I am hoping it is Girard.

Walker seems to be more sturdy and harder to play against down low than Girard.

The defense as a whole has been concerning me all year.

Cale and Toews have had very up and down seasons. Both with too many turnovers and some poor defense.

Girard's start and finish to the season have been poor. Way too many turnovers himself, occassionally poor defense, and he just doesn't contribute much offensively to make up for it.

Walker has been pretty inconsistent, and seems to have trouble with careless high sticking penalties.

Really the only defenseman that have consistently played ok to good this year, are Manson and JJ.

Reactions: GeoRox89

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad