GDT: Avalanche vs Senators 1/16/24 @ 5:00PM MNT (Emergency GDT) Let's forget about yesterday!

Goalie woes got you down? Just click here!

• Here

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • I'm not clicking that.

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • My SSN is...

Votes: 14 56.0%

• Total voters

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Only saw the highlights, but Annunen good, bad, or meh? I saw he looked slower than ever, but also faced 40 shots even if some of those goals were Georgiev-bad.
I'd say he was very okay. He made some really big saves. He let in a few you'd want back, but were all on good chances. He was definitely slower than Prostate and George, but he seemed to always be in the right spot. However he also got extremely lucky. Ottawa missed 3 open nets with flubbed shots.

It's really hard to judge the Fatman, or even Prostate (imo) on these one off games. I hope both start getting some more starts because George shouldn't be getting this much of a workload.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Only saw the highlights, but Annunen good, bad, or meh? I saw he looked slower than ever, but also faced 40 shots even if some of those goals were Georgiev-bad.
There should have been at least 2 more goals scored by Ottawa and you can see the faults that teams will very quickly attack if he was in the NHL regularly. That said, he made some good saves and the Avs were an absolute mess defensively. I don't think either of the other goalies would have let in less than 4 with their play thus far. So really can't complain in the end on his play... but also clear he isn't an answer.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I thought Juicy looked as minor league as he always has. Ottawa had at least four or five chances which were practically open nets. The chance in the first period where one guy took it behind the net and had the puck on the stick of another man wide open in the circle before Annunen had even turned round looked like a glitch from NHL 07 or something. Basically interchangeable from Prosvetov, at least his mask is nicer looking.

Snow Arc

Set the controls for the heart of the sun
Aug 14, 2020
Hi to everyone. I've been reading this Forum for a decade and decided to register. Had to watch this game just because Annunen was starting. I've been following he's career since Kärpät and I can confidently say that he will be a legit nhl starter. This game wasnt perfect but what can you expect? Just a reminder, Annunen is 23 year old! There has been quite a few goalies from Finland that have had a pretty good career in the nhl. Can you guess how many of those have been this far in their career at the age of 23? Record in the finnish liiga, 80+ games in the a.hl with pretty good stats and had even got a change to start in the nhl? Literally only one goalie (correct me if I'm wrong) and he is someone named Tuukka Rask (and Saros, I was corrected). Just saying...
joinus.gif

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Uh-oh.

Anyway, i only watched highlights, but did Drouin have rough game? Failed to defend a goal, his offside made one of them not to count, failed to bury a great chance...

I mean, none of the top guys looked spectacular, even Mikko with two goals. They were all clearly exhausted from playing insane minutes the night before.

He wasn't great from what I saw but he wasn't even close to being the worst Av on the ice (Manson either was or he was in the bottom three).

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
I mean, none of the top guys looked spectacular, even Mikko with two goals. They were all clearly exhausted from playing insane minutes the night before.

He wasn't great from what I saw but he wasn't even close to being the worst Av on the ice (Manson either was or he was in the bottom three).
Thats why i am asking, whether the highlights make him look worse than he was.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I thought Juicy looked as minor league as he always has. Ottawa had at least four or five chances which were practically open nets. The chance in the first period where one guy took it behind the net and had the puck on the stick of another man wide open in the circle before Annunen had even turned round looked like a glitch from NHL 07 or something. Basically interchangeable from Prosvetov, at least his mask is nicer looking.
Prosvetov has better tools to work with imo, there's still potential there.

Annunen just looks like an AHL journeyman to me.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Thats why i am asking, whether the highlights make him look worse than he was.

I missed chunks of the game, apart from one really bad turnover (but then again he was all by himself playing defense so WTF) I didn't think he was all that bad considering.

On a side note, my God Ross Colton might be the craziest Av I've ever seen. Comes in to try and deflect a puck he had NO business trying to deflect while traveling at pretty high speed, ends up clipping Soogard right in the head. I love this guy even though he raises my already-considerable anxiety levels every time he takes the ice.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Prosvetov has better tools to work with imo, there's still potential there.

Annunen just looks like an AHL journeyman to me.
Yup. Its one game but Prosvetov looks way more talented. God i wish Frankie wasnt injured.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I missed chunks of the game, apart from one really bad turnover (but then again he was all by himself playing defense so WTF) I didn't think he was all that bad considering.

On a side note, my God Ross Colton might be the craziest Av I've ever seen. Comes in to try and deflect a puck he had NO business trying to deflect while traveling at pretty high speed, ends up clipping Soogard right in the head. I love this guy even though he raises my already-considerable anxiety levels every time he takes the ice.
Coincidently, also from Tampa lol.

185376729.0.jpg

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Another good game from Malinski. I always liked that signing. People were way to quick to write him off after his first call up. He is developing real well so far. The offense and outlet passes are there. He definitely has some Makar-style in him especially in those areas with worst skating. He is also not as bad as some here makes him out to be on defense. He has work to do in that department but IMO he is holding his own. Keep improving defensively and we might have a pretty good top-4 RHD which are hard to get in the NHL.

As for the game...great teams find ways to win when they have injuries.
Rycroft did mention Malinski as being very strong for his size and it showed. He was pretty solid against the boards against anyone except the really big guys. Hes been passable defensively.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I thought Fat Albert won the game for the Avs in the 3rd. He made several great saves and got unbelievably lucky with the post.

Also, it was refreshing to see a goalie not handle the puck like a live grenade. When was the last time we had a goalie that could play the puck? Theodore?

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I thought Fat Albert won the game for the Avs in the 3rd. He made several great saves and got unbelievably lucky with the post.

Also, it was refreshing to see a goalie not handle the puck like a live grenade. When was the last time we had a goalie that could play the puck? Theodore?
Wasn't Grubauer fairly adept at puck handling?

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Now that you mention it, I don't recall getting sick to my stomach whenever he left the crease. That could be because he was good at it, or it could be that I just can't remember.

Yeah, it was him trying to defend against breakaways and wraparounds that made me sick to my stomach whenever Groob was in net.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
There was an off season thread about the Sens having a great top 6F and top 4D.

And I said the Sens D is straight up bad.

They lived up to my expectations.
Their D and goaltending is bad and you can’t win like that. They do have good forward group but that’s about it

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
There was an off season thread about the Sens having a great top 6F and top 4D.

And I said the Sens D is straight up bad.

They lived up to my expectations.
The goaltending is shit, that's a fact. How Pierre Dorion thought it was a good idea to lock up Joonas Korpisalo to a multi-year (????) deal after one good-but-still-not-great season is beyond me. But then again few GMs made bad calls on goalies worse than Dorion. Even Ron Francis, who's probably #2 on that list, is benefiting from Dorion letting Joey Daccord go.

The defense should be a lot better than it's looked IMO. Hamonic SUCKS but as a clear-cut 6D he should be adequate. There's no clear-cut #1 yet but that defense should be effective at both ends of the ice IMO. They need a good coach to get the most out of it.

I also like their depth up front. Greig is obviously not a 1C but I understand why they're trying some different stuff. A lot will depend on what they decide to do with Norris and Pinto. IMO they need to keep Pinto around because Norris is simply too injury prone.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The goaltending is shit, that's a fact. How Pierre Dorion thought it was a good idea to lock up Joonas Korpisalo to a multi-year (????) deal after one good-but-still-not-great season is beyond me. But then again few GMs made bad calls on goalies worse than Dorion. Even Ron Francis, who's probably #2 on that list, is benefiting from Dorion letting Joey Daccord go.

The defense should be a lot better than it's looked IMO. Hamonic SUCKS but as a clear-cut 6D he should be adequate. There's no clear-cut #1 yet but that defense should be effective at both ends of the ice IMO. They need a good coach to get the most out of it.

I also like their depth up front. Greig is obviously not a 1C but I understand why they're trying some different stuff. A lot will depend on what they decide to do with Norris and Pinto. IMO they need to keep Pinto around because Norris is simply too injury prone.
I disagree completely with the bolded for the simple reason that WE need Pinto. :sarcasm::naughty::cool:

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
There should have been at least 2 more goals scored by Ottawa and you can see the faults that teams will very quickly attack if he was in the NHL regularly. That said, he made some good saves and the Avs were an absolute mess defensively. I don't think either of the other goalies would have let in less than 4 with their play thus far. So really can't complain in the end on his play... but also clear he isn't an answer.

I think if he can improve his puck tracking he could become a very good backup goalie. Perhaps more experience playing/practicing at the NHL level will help him keep up with the play more, but in my opinion he just does everything a bit too slow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad