GDT: Avalanche vs Red Wings 2/22/24 @5:00 PM (Emergency GDT) In the house of our old Rivals.

What's the best American candy bar?

• Total voters

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don’t think we can overstate just how bad Mikko Rantanen is playing.
We're 58 games deep into the season and he's still playing like that, I don't know if it will change at this point. That's not a rough patch or anything, that's who he is this year.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I mean, is he even really that different? He's around the same pace of production, scoring in similar ways, and falling around as always. Some variance can be expected, but y'all just expect more and pay closer attention. I'm not saying he's not frustrating to watch but I don't know if this is that out of the ordinary.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The Avs tried to address that in the offseason with ryjo. @4million that’s a pretty solid bet. That fell on its face. The Avs have been really savvy over the last couple years. I’m glad with missed out on monohan. I don’t think ROR will ever wanna come back my like stastny. Hovrat and lindholm I feel are legit. PLD had way too many red flags for my liking. I wonder if Vancouver would really wanna keep him in the conference. So much we don’t know..

One thing I have noticed is that ryjo when he took a little media heat upped his game…
I’m probably the biggest RyJo fan on this board. I 100% get the risk they took… I also stated it was very boom or bust. Results matter and not having a 2C for two seasons could very easily mean this core lost their next two best chances at a Cup. Very possibly, the Cup window closes. That shouldn’t be acceptable when you have 2 of the top 5 players in the league and arguably another top 10 (at least 15).

I mean, is he even really that different? He's around the same pace of production, scoring in similar ways, and falling around as always. Some variance can be expected, but y'all just expect more and pay closer attention. I'm not saying he's not frustrating to watch but I don't know if this is that out of the ordinary.
To my eyes, his effort and defense are a step back. They were never high, but there are so many moments where he just gives zero shits. He’s just so talented he can cover stuff up so easily with gathering points.

Reactions: missionAvs

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
To my eyes, his effort and defense are a step back. They were never high, but there are so many moments where he just gives zero shits. He’s just so talented he can cover stuff up so easily with gathering points.
Yeah, I wouldn't argue that, but I feel like it's being overstated knowing that it already wasn't great.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I’m probably the biggest RyJo fan on this board. I 100% get the risk they took… I also stated it was very boom or bust. Results matter and not having a 2C for two seasons could very easily mean this core lost their next two best chances at a Cup. Very possibly, the Cup window closes. That shouldn’t be acceptable when you have 2 of the top 5 players in the league and arguably another top 10 (at least 15).

*Only

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Yes. Anyone who has paid attention to the actual games and not the score sheets would agree.

It's an effort issue. He's never been a high end effort guy, but he's always at least looked like he gave a shit until this year.

The sheer amount of plays that die on his stick is mind-blowing. He's been a turnover machine and then doesn't put in the effort to get back. He has constantly blown defensive coverages, looks like he couldn't be bothered to stay with his assignment. He's forgotten how to hit the net, with consistency. It's either a goal or he misses by 5 ft. Just hitting the net helps the team as it causes rebound and chaos, but when you miss by 5 ft it does nothing.

His mentality has changed, and not for the better. He just wants to float and pick up easy points. Ismo was probably right with what he said.

Last edited:

Bowe Byrum

Nov 22, 2021
I don’t think we can overstate just how bad Mikko Rantanen is playing. This guy was often the best player on the ice last year, and this year he looks lost. Not a threat at all on the PP, and turns the puck over at least 3-4 times a game.

Anyone know what’s going on with him?
maybe he needs rehab as well

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I don’t think we can overstate just how bad Mikko Rantanen is playing. This guy was often the best player on the ice last year, and this year he looks lost. Not a threat at all on the PP, and turns the puck over at least 3-4 times a game.

Anyone know what’s going on with him?

I don't think any of us know but Ismo knows.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Yes. Anyone who has paid attention to the actual games and not the score sheets would agree.

It's an effort issue. He's never been a high end effort guy, but he's always at least looked like he gave a shit until this year.

The sheer amount of plays that die on his stick is mind-blowing. He's been a turnover machine and then doesn't put in the effort to get back. He has constantly blown defensive coverages, looks like he couldn't be bothered to stay with his assignment. He's forgotten how to hit the net, with consistency. It's either a goal or he misses by 5 ft. Just hitting the net helps the team as it causes rebound and chaos, but when you miss by 5 ft it does nothing.

His mentality has changed, and not for the better. He just wants to float and pick up easy points. Ismo was probably right with what he said.

I sometimes feel like Rants is the type of player that now knows the grind and effort needed to actually win a cup and feels more than ok with just that one. MacK on the other hand seems wired to keep winning and keep that drive up. You can't teach that unfortunately.

Reactions: chet1926

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
I sometimes feel like Rants is the type of player that now knows the grind and effort needed to actually win a cup and feels more than ok with just that one. MacK on the other hand seems wired to keep winning and keep that drive up. You can't teach that unfortunately.
I think last year messed with him mentally. He and Mack took the team on their backs all year and played a crazy amount of minutes to win the division despite so many injuries and problems, only to have management have a no confidence vote and completely flub the deadline and then flame out in round 1 because they were gassed.

He's probably like why put in all that effort in the regular season only to have nothing left in the playoffs. IM HOPING that's the case and he's saving himself for the playoffs. But we'll see if he's able to flip that switch.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

That's true. You're smarter.

You know, I'm just trying to have a discussion.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO

Mikko doesn't look right (although he had a career year a year ago)
Makar doesn't look right
Landy hasn't played in 2 years
Nuke suffered a horrible broken foot, then the ankle, and then ended up in rehab
G ended up with severe anxiety from all the injuries and a drinking problem that landed him in rehab
Bo hasn't looked right up until the last couple games
Toews wasn't right for the majority of last year

Look how much the last couple years have taken out of this team.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

Makar doesn't look right
Nuke suffered a horrible broken foot, then the ankle, and then ended up in rehab
G ended up with severe anxiety from all the injuries and a drinking problem that landed him in rehab

I think those two were one and the same unless I missed something?

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Poor Juicy. He deserved more from that game.

There was a time I thought Rantanen was trying to pace himself to be physically ready for the playoffs, but the further we get into the season the less faith I have in him being able to pick it up when the timie comes.

Bowe Byrum

Nov 22, 2021
I think last year messed with him mentally. He and Mack took the team on their backs all year and played a crazy amount of minutes to win the division despite so many injuries and problems, only to have management have a no confidence vote and completely flub the deadline and then flame out in round 1 because they were gassed.

He's probably like why put in all that effort in the regular season only to have nothing left in the playoffs. IM HOPING that's the case and he's saving himself for the playoffs. But we'll see if he's able to flip that switch.
gotta cut the smokes from 2 packs a day to 1.

And Makar gotta quit his mom's cookies

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

Makar doesn't look right

It's very obvious that Makar isn't right. He probably needs some sort of surgery, and is just playing through it until the offseason. IMO he just needs to do whatever it is and be done with it. I'd much prefer him to just bag it this year get right and go at it healthy next year.

Clearly CMac isn't going to get us any pieces of value to make a run this year. So Makar should just get his body healthy.

This team has just been crushed the last 2 years with injuries and others missing time for whatever reason. Couple that with a GM that has no clue what to do and you have shell of a team that is being carried by one player and hoping somehow that works.

Bowe Byrum

Nov 22, 2021
It's very obvious that Makar isn't right. He probably needs some sort of surgery, and is just playing through it until the offseason. IMO he just needs to do whatever it is and be done with it. I'd much prefer him to just bag it this year get right and go at it healthy next year.

Clearly CMac isn't going to get us any pieces of value to make a run this year. So Makar should just get his body healthy.

This team had just been crushed the last 2 years with injuries and others missing time for whatever reason. Couple that with a GM that has no clue what to do and you have shell of a team that is being carried by one player and hoping somehow that works.
He needs to get in proper shape too. Can't he look around at other physiques in the dressing room and see what he needs to do? I mean he'll never be Mack bor does he have that kind if drive but he's 25 now. It's time to harden uo and get some muscle definition on his upper body and improve his stamina.

Reactions: chet1926

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Poor Juicy. He deserved more from that game.

There was a time I thought Rantanen was trying to pace himself to be physically ready for the playoffs, but the further we get into the season the less faith I have in him being able to pick it up when the timie comes.
Yep sucks for Annunen. It's tough to win when only the goalie and 29 look good.

Reactions: Bowe Byrum

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
He needs to get in proper shape too. Can't he look around at other physiques in the dressing room and see what he needs to do? I mean he'll never be Mack bor does he have that kind if drive but he's 25 now. It's time to harden uo and get some muscle definition on his upper body and improve his stamina.
Agreed some muscle would help Makar. He needs to spend his summer with 29. Enough of this BS whatever he's doing in Calgary, time to hit the training program hard with 29.

Reactions: Bowe Byrum

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah I'm sure Cale Makar is just some blobby fat f*** who doesn't work out :shakehead

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Yeah I'm sure Cale Makar is just some blobby fat f*** who doesn't work out :shakehead
Not sure that he's some blobby fatty. But the term frail Cale isn't without reason. Guy could absolutely benefit from some additional muscle, he appears very lean.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad