GDT: Avalanche vs Predators 11/20/23 (Emergency GDT) It's hunting season.

Best Leonardo DiCaprio movie?

• Titanic

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • The man in the iron mask

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Catch me if you can

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • Gang's of New York

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The Departed

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • Django unchained

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • The wolf of wall street

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • The Revenant

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Other (He's in a lot of stuff!) comment below

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Inception

Votes: 3 5.4%

• Total voters

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Last night it was suppose to be a "weaker" team and therefore the right moment to put the backup in net. I'm hoping it's just fatigue , but Georgiev is showing signs of weakness lately and i dont like it. Maybe i'm wrong , but i dont understand why they dont see it and dont give Georgiev more time off.

... as for Byram , let just say that i would advice the Avs to wait before trading Sam Girard for bag of pucks and a couple of used jockstraps.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Avs really need to get back to shooting as often as you can. It’s like the fighters that set up their opponent with jabs and leg kicks. Sometimes you just need to pepper them with some lighter stuff to create room. If the other team knows you’re always going for the tic tac toe play they are going to be ready for it
This is a big issue. We are constantly passing on A looks trying to to make an impossible pass to to get A+ look. And often times that impossible pass is failing.

It's especially noticable from 29 and 96. Makar has been better lately about taking a shot when having the look and no surprise he's having offensive success.

I don't know how Bednar is going to convince them to knock this cutesy shit off but it isn't working.

Reactions: GeoRox89

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Despite this, is it just me or is he still not looking quite right?
He's playing through an injury 100%. I'm pretty confident its his hip and he probably should be getting surgery on it but is trying to play through it and hope it heals/comes around on its own.

You can tell he doesn't have the same mobility as we're used to seeing. He's so good that he's able to adjust his game in the offensive zone and still continue racking up the points but he definitely isn't dominating shifts like we're used to. Feels like we dont see him down low during sustained offensive pressure or skating circles in the Offensive zone nearly as much this year.

Which is crazy because he's still absolutely the best Dman in the league.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Last night it was suppose to be a "weaker" team and therefore the right moment to put the backup in net. I'm hoping it's just fatigue , but Georgiev is showing signs of weakness lately and i dont like it. Maybe i'm wrong , but i dont understand why they dont see it and dont give Georgiev more time off.

... as for Byram , let just say that i would advice the Avs to wait before trading Sam Girard for bag of pucks and a couple of used jockstraps.
Unfortunately I think George is just a B or C rate goalie. He's been bad for over a month now. That's more than rough patch or fatigue.

Also agree should have been a Prosvetov night, last night. Not sure why George was in net. Got to play your backup at some point and should try to get him against the lower end teams not good ones.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Unfortunately I think George is just a B or C rate goalie. He's been bad for over a month now. That's more than rough patch or fatigue.

Also agree should have been a Prosvetov night, last night. Not sure why George was in net. Got to play your backup at some point and should try to get him against the lower end teams not good ones.
One of my concerns with Beds is that he likes playing his big guns...a lot. This typically isn't a bad thing, but we've seen a lot of these guys get worn out by the end of season.

Reactions: chet1926

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton

Georgiev is playing like the Seattle series. Is he letting in weak goals and losing games bad? No. Is he making the big saves when needed? Also no. He's a bottom tier starter carried by the team.

Last edited:

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

Prosvetov will get a game this weekend in the B2B so there was no reason to play him last night. No doubt George needs to be better but this loss was not on him.

One of my concerns with Beds is that he likes playing his big guns...a lot. This typically isn't a bad thing, but we've seen a lot of these guys get worn out by the end of season.
It doesn't help when your 2nd line is not good enough to get proper ice time and he needs to overplay his 1st and 4th line to compensate.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Prosvetov will get a game this weekend in the B2B so there was no reason to play him last night. No doubt George needs to be better but this loss was not on him.

It doesn't help when your 2nd line is not good enough to get proper ice time and he needs to overplay his 1st and 4th line to compensate.
I mean watching all the games I can't recall one game where he actually lost the game but statistically he simply hasn't been good enough, you just need to find a way to make a save once in a while. He's playing below .900 right now and that's not acceptable.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

There is no reason when George is playing mid to bad hockey that Prosvetov can't get an extra start here and there. He could have easily played last night and one of the back to back games. Which is how I would have handled the work load. George isn't playing good enough to warrant extra playing time.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Georgiev is playing like the Seattle series. Is he letting in weak goals and losing games bad? No. Is he making the big saves when needed? Also no. He's a bottom tier starter carried by the team.
And where would the Avs find an elite goalie that will constantly steal games when Avs are playing dumb hockey in front of him? Everyone is bashing Georgiev like the Avs have the assets or the cap space to get an elite goalie and pay him 8 or 9 mill. Also there really aren’t many elite goalies in the league.

Vasilevskiy
Shesterkin
Sorokin
Hellebuyck
Saros

I think this is about it. Saros is the only one that might be available for a trade but you have to give up a lot for him pay him 5 mill now and possibly more next year when his contract is up

Last edited:

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
And where would the Avs find an elite goalie that will constantly steal games when Avs are playing dumb hockey in front of him? Everyone is bashing Georgiev like the Avs have the assets or the cap space to get an elite goalie and pay him 8 or 9 mill. Also there really aren’t many elite goalies in the league.

Vasilevskiy
Shesterkin
Sorokin
Hellebuyck
Saros

I think this is about it. Saros is the only one that might be available for a trade but you have to give up a lot for him pay him 5 mill now and possibly more next year when his contract is up
Play Prosvetov more and hope he turns into the next Adin Hill or something. We really need to draft a goalie this draft though. Goalies are coming into the league younger and younger.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Play Prosvetov more and hope he turns into the next Adin Hill or something. We really need to draft a goalie this draft though. Goalies are coming into the league younger and younger.
I think Avs just need to start playing a better 60 minute hockey. They did that last year and Georgiev finished 7th in Vezina voting. Prosvetov won’t be the answer either if the Avs are playing dumb hockey

Reactions: forsbergavs32

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I simply hated this game. There is a weird mental thing going on with this team in the last minute. I don't know the stats, but they have to be last in the league in goals within the last minute of a period.

With the George play... the issue is basically the same as Seattle. He's finding a way to let in one soft goal a game. Sometimes that slips to 2 in a game here or there. That's the difference between him being .890 and .925. Now some soft goals will happen and it is unreasonable to expect him to not give up any... but this has got to clean up. The Avs have shown the system allows for average goalies to shine... it is time to at least play average. No excuse for him not to.
Two things.

1. Byram is becoming Dumba 2.0, I was not his biggest fan during the draft and I said one of the main reasons why is because a lot of offence he was able to do in juniors would not work against the pros. You're seeing it now, he's still very talented, but he forces the offence too much while taking a ton of risks instead of letting it come to him with zero defensive ability.

I hate that I feel this is accurate. It is clear the coaching staff wants the defensemen to play 'free' but they need to reel him in. He will have a couple flash plays here and there, but the risk taking is way too slanted and it is impacting his play greatly. It isn't appreciated how much G has been carrying that pairing... Byram w/ G 55.78% xGF, Byram w/o G 49.65%.

That said... all is certainly not bad. The loaded up first line is clicking (even with MacK struggling a bit). Nuke is on fire. Colton has found his scoring touch (though he's streaky and this is just a hot streak). The 4th line is still a weapon. Jones should give some options to keep a puck mover on the bottom pairing and flexibility with injuries.

I'd like to see the team mentally put this meltdown past them and get a lopsided win against Vancouver. That would show some mental strength.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co

I would contend that what we are witnessing is one of Bednar's few fatal flaws as a coach....... He rides his best horses into the ground. And we've see this happen before....

I simply hated this game. There is a weird mental thing going on with this team in the last minute. I don't know the stats, but they have to be last in the league in goals within the last minute of a period.

With the George play... the issue is basically the same as Seattle. He's finding a way to let in one soft goal a game. Sometimes that slips to 2 in a game here or there. That's the difference between him being .890 and .925. Now some soft goals will happen and it is unreasonable to expect him to not give up any... but this has got to clean up. The Avs have shown the system allows for average goalies to shine... it is time to at least play average. No excuse for him not to.

I hate that I feel this is accurate. It is clear the coaching staff wants the defensemen to play 'free' but they need to reel him in. He will have a couple flash plays here and there, but the risk taking is way too slanted and it is impacting his play greatly. It isn't appreciated how much G has been carrying that pairing... Byram w/ G 55.78% xGF, Byram w/o G 49.65%.

That said... all is certainly not bad. The loaded up first line is clicking (even with MacK struggling a bit). Nuke is on fire. Colton has found his scoring touch (though he's streaky and this is just a hot streak). The 4th line is still a weapon. Jones should give some options to keep a puck mover on the bottom pairing and flexibility with injuries.

I'd like to see the team mentally put this meltdown past them and get a lopsided win against Vancouver. That would show some mental strength.
On the final 2 goals there are certainly a lot of Avs guys standing still holding their (st)icks. (If you get my drift.... lol)

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
OKOK, i know, emotions are running high right now, but i came here to ask one simple question:

WHAT THE F*CK WAS THAT SHITSHOW OF A 3RD PERIOD? DID THEY LOSE ON PURPOSE OR WHAT?

Goddammit guys, after the triumph that was the Dallas 3rd, how in the blue hell is it possible to shit the bed that hard just a few days later? I don't get it. This team man, this team ...

But one thing is for certain - today I HATE THIS MOTHERF*CKING TEAM!

Good day lads.

Reactions: missionAvs

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I watched it like 10 times.

The puck jumped over Makar's stick then he got in a race and got their first (barely) but had problem handling it so he tried to push it behind the net. Bad bounce and it came back in front of the net.

JJ then inexplicably switched side and left his guy alone, who scored the goal.
I don't put that on JJ. He is switching sides because he expects Cale to wheel around the net. It's a natural switch that every defensemen would have made.

Cale was just way too casual with a bouncing puck.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I enjoyed all the fluff pieces about Johansen. They loved him here! He was a great guy in the room! Loved him so much they're paying him 8 million dollars to play for another team because they needed a culture change.

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
Byram had a chance to hustle off the ice and change for Makar before the tying goal when the Panthers had the puck at their own blue line. It’s unfortunate he didn’t because he and Rants were essentially cones in our own end after that.

Rough game for Byram. On the other hand Toews has really picked up his game from his slow start to the year.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Georgiev is not it, he needs to make a save once in a while. I don't care how. That's 9 out of his last 10 games he had a SV% less than .900. That's not even NHL backup numbers.
View attachment 771090

Quite a fall from grace.

Seems like criticism has been mostly directed towards forwards and D, but Georgiev is a huge reason why it’s been an up down stretch for a while now.

Reactions: AvStock

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad