GDT: Avalanche vs Penguins | 12 PM MT | Annunen's Descent into the Netherworld

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
I'm curious to see what Drouin decides to do. Everywhere else he's been he has faltered. Suddenly he is in a system he can thrive in, and he's playing with his bud who happens to be one of the best players on the planet.

Drouin would be wise to take a discount to continue enjoying his hockey. He was on the way out of the league before the Avs brought him in and helped him find his game, and more importantly for him his passion and enjoyment in playing the game.

If I were him I'd be begging the Avs to sign me long term. Guarantee myself some cash and just enjoy playing hockey again and competing for cups.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Mack got within one point of Kucherov but Tampa is playing the Ducks tonight so Kuch is probably having another 5 point game

Reactions: xAvsx89 and Zandar

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I’m an asshole. I have to step away from this site sometimes, gets me super jegative
I thought it was over when Pens were up 2-0. That makes me worse than an asshole I think. Those who thought it was over when it was 4-0 are less of an asshole

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Angry Mack is built different. He's the MVP no question

Yeah. About the time people were saying Nate was too deferential to Sid, you started to see the other Nate. Sid has worked officials for years. And they’re human. But Nate pounding the glass called them out and made them accountable. To be fair, that non penalty call at the end of the 2nd was egregious.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
The Avs players turned it up but also recognize that the coaches made adjustments between the 1st and 2nd. Pens in the first were employing a tight 2 man forecheck on the Avs D limiting their decision making. The Pens had their D pulled up into the NZ and with F3 denied the passing and skating lanes the Avs normally employ. Colorado could NOT get through the NZ and every puck carrier/receiver was immediately forechecked.

The PP in the 1st was atrocious so there is a technique there that will be copied by teams in the playoffs.

Bednar and staff adjusted by bringing the D in closer to one another in their own zone for mutual support and pulled the forwards in as well having them make shorter passes that were supportable. The Avs forwards were coming off the boards and skating to the middle of the ice taking away the movement and steering of the Pens F3.

It's been a while since I've seen the Avs forced to adjust to this degree and I'm glad to see they are able to easily turn on a dime.

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
Wow, the comeback is going to be epic
nailed-it-the-office.gif

ikonos

Jun 24, 2008
The Avs players turned it up but also recognize that the coaches made adjustments between the 1st and 2nd. Pens in the first were employing a tight 2 man forecheck on the Avs D limiting their decision making. The Pens had their D pulled up into the NZ and with F3 denied the passing and skating lanes the Avs normally employ. Colorado could NOT get through the NZ and every puck carrier/receiver was immediately forechecked.

The PP in the 1st was atrocious so there is a technique there that will be copied by teams in the playoffs.

Bednar and staff adjusted by bringing the D in closer to one another in their own zone for mutual support and pulled the forwards in as well having them make shorter passes that were supportable. The Avs forwards were coming off the boards and skating to the middle of the ice taking away the movement and steering of the Pens F3.

It's been a while since I've seen the Avs forced to adjust to this degree and I'm glad to see they are able to easily turn on a dime.
That PP and most of 1st period felt like Penguins knew exactly where the puck is going and are always there to intercept it. They played a great game for the first 35 minutes and the first goal by Avs turned the tide around. When the Avs are moving their feet, you can feel they are always in the game.

Reactions: katfude

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
I thought it was over when Pens were up 2-0. That makes me worse than an asshole I think. Those who thought it was over when it was 4-0 are less of an asshole
After Walker hit the post (pretty sure it was Walker) and then Crosby tipped that one in just seconds later to put them up 3-0, I thought it was over. The 4th goal just cemented the idea. Walker's goal (I still don’t know how that found it's way thru 4 bodies) and Trenin's right before the end of the 2nd brought life back into the arena. It was a morgue, other than obnoxious Pens fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad