GDT: Avalanche vs Oilers 03/16/24 @8:00PM MST (Emergency GDT) These bragging rights are good for 19 days.

How many MacK points tonight?

• Total voters

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Let's not big brain this. The solution to Miles Wood playing like ass is NOT to move him up to the 2nd line and move Nichushkin to the 3rd line.

Also Bednar's never been a spread the wealth kind of guy, at most he does this with his top 2 lines but never down to the third and 4th.
My idea with those lines is to make all four lines as effective as possible. I think Wood would be a good winger for Mitts - a north south player who can work with him along the boards and is also 100% shoot first. Rantanen with Mitts is a no brainer, and having Wood there to do the dirty work lets Rantanen play more like the finesse player he really is.
Meanwhile, Colton gets Nichushkin so that Colton can be the support player on the line, and Nuke can feast on weaker competition. Nuke and Duhaime would also ideally help cover up some of Colton's defensive deficiencies.

We've seen the 3rd line with Colton and Wood doesn't seem to work without LOC, so let's split them up and use them as the support guys on their lines rather than expecting either of them to drive a line.

The Hockey Guy irritates people.

I'm the people.
What do you have against the Hockey Guy?

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
I vote we just rotate Cogs and Parise as healthy scratches until someone gets hurt and we need both of them. In the playoffs, that will likely sort itself out.
We’ll need both of them in the playoffs (injuries will hit and they’re just both hardworking vets who will do whatever it takes to win) so rotating them as the 12/13 forwards so both are fresh and ready to go as needed for hopefully a deep playoff run makes the most sense. Look what rest has done for Georgie (so far)

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
My idea with those lines is to make all four lines as effective as possible. I think Wood would be a good winger for Mitts - a north south player who can work with him along the boards and is also 100% shoot first. Rantanen with Mitts is a no brainer, and having Wood there to do the dirty work lets Rantanen play more like the finesse player he really is.
Meanwhile, Colton gets Nichushkin so that Colton can be the support player on the line, and Nuke can feast on weaker competition. Nuke and Duhaime would also ideally help cover up some of Colton's defensive deficiencies.

We've seen the 3rd line with Colton and Wood doesn't seem to work without LOC, so let's split them up and use them as the support guys on their lines rather than expecting either of them to drive a line.
I see what you're saying, but often "spreading the wealth" ends up making all the lines slightly worse, and it's something Bednar doesn't really do. Also Wood would be completely outmatched on line 2.

I agree that Wood and Colton aren't working, but the solution isn't moving Wood up. If anything, it's moving him down to line 4.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I see what you're saying, but often "spreading the wealth" ends up making all the lines slightly worse, and it's something Bednar doesn't really do. Also Wood would be completely outmatched on line 2.

I agree that Wood and Colton aren't working, but the solution isn't moving Wood up. If anything, it's moving him down to line 4.
Yeah, my other thought was:
Lehky - Mack - Drouin
Nuke - Mitts - Mikko
Cogs - Colton - Parise
Wood - Trenin - Duhaime

That's a true "bottom six" like Bednar likes, where either line could be the 3rd line on a given night.

I don't respect his opinion.
Is there a specific reason? I'm genuinely curious.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Bednar isn’t going to put one of the top-4 forwards on the 3rd line to balance the lines. Not what he does.

These days, it seems like he’s even more determined to load up the top line than usual. Even in the Vancouver game when the Avs were paper thin upfront he was spot-shifting Mittelstadt with MacKinnon and Rantanen.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Watching Darnell Nurse in overtime try to create space for himself against noted defensive wizard Nathan MacKinnon and MacK looked completely disinterested, only for Nurse to fire a shot right into MacKinnon's blade and out of play was hilarious. I knew that would happen as soon as he started his stop and go bs.

Would be so much easier to laugh at this, if our guys didn’t do similar things half of the time

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Lehky - Mack - Drouin
Nuke - Mitts - Mikko
Cogs - Colton - Parise
Wood - Trenin - Duhaime

That's a true "bottom six" like Bednar likes, where either line could be the 3rd line on a given night.

This is far more likely to happen, if he changes anything.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Reading 20 pages of the Oilers PGT was just too funny. MacK sucks, and never amounted to anything before Makar was here, we're a super great drafting team(!!), Bettman is the reason we got Walker and they got Henrique, that was the best the Avs could play and they only managed to squeak by with an OTW, and oh yeah.. the refs won the game for the Avs because you can't touch them without getting called lmao

My favorite moment was when someone posted a video of a "missed call" when Colton(?) was "holding" McD, but when you see it, McD was holding Colton's stick the entire clip. Joke of a franchise and they don't even have the ability to look inside themselves and realize that idiot fans who are crazy is a big reason nobody wants to sign there

AvalancheRy

Feb 13, 2009
Avs top line was off all night and the Colton line was a disaster. They have another gear.

Makar was also rough with the puck.
I was looking at the Hockey Stat Cards for last night and somehow it shows Makar having positive stats. I was kinda surprised because he seemed very shaky. The third line def struggled.

But that second line and Walker were awesome.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Also I'm so glad the Oilers didn't get Walker. He'd be a godsend for that D core right now and instead we get to utilize him :nod:
Imo that trade is underrated. We dumped Johansen and got Walker. Fantastic trade. Dumping Johansen itself would have cost us second probably.

Not to mention we got pick back too. Sick.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Lehky - Mack - Drouin
Nuke - Mitts - Mikko
Cogs - Colton - Parise
Wood - Trenin - Duhaime

I'm not sure why you even bother. Knowing the Avs 1/3 those guys will be out of the lineup pretty soon.

Feldlazarett.jpg

Reactions: Snow Arc

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York

What do you have against the Hockey Guy?
Dude, you sound like we are going to be serious contenders this year.

Reactions: MarkT

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
In my opinion the Avs weren’t at their best last night either, not that they played poorly, but that was their ‘B’ game. They’ve got a little more in them for sure.

Skinner was sensational for Edmonton. Best game I’ve ever seen him play. Georgiev was good too, maybe the competition with Annunen is good for him.
If not for Skinner, Avs win by a couple/three. In regulation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad