GDT: Avalanche vs Oilers 03/16/24 @8:00PM MST (Emergency GDT) These bragging rights are good for 19 days.

How many MacK points tonight?

• Total voters

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
In my opinion the Avs weren’t at their best last night either, not that they played poorly, but that was their ‘B’ game. They’ve got a little more in them for sure.

Skinner was sensational for Edmonton. Best game I’ve ever seen him play. Georgiev was good too, maybe the competition with Annunen is good for him.
A bunch of them seem to have the flu, and Rants was AWOL.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Also… I thought JMFJ was real good tonight, even dunked on McDavid in a one-on-one tonight.

The Mittelstadt pass was unreal to see live. What vision. I know the Avs are hot, but Bednar’s gotta swap the top-6 around. Drouin/Mittelstadt is a little awkward together.
I think having two pass first guy in the same line isn't the best. I would prefer having a shooter (Mikko/Mack), a passer (Drouin/Mitts) and defensive forward (Lehk/Nuke) on each line.

Edit: At the same time it's hard splitting up Mack and Mikko due to their chemistry.

Reactions: NorthernAvsFan

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I watched the game on my phone and didn't catch this little move from MacKinnon:

This has to be one of the best MacKinnon plays I've seen since the Blues game 5 go ahead goal.

Ive seen MacKinnon younger at 16. He is the only player I ever seen that can go from 1st gear to 5th without going thru 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. Very powerful legs. Something in the water outta Cole Harbour for him and Syd to come from the same minor hockey system

AvalancheRy

Feb 13, 2009
In my opinion the Avs weren’t at their best last night either, not that they played poorly, but that was their ‘B’ game. They’ve got a little more in them for sure.

Skinner was sensational for Edmonton. Best game I’ve ever seen him play. Georgiev was good too, maybe the competition with Annunen is good for him.
The Avs and playing against goalies who randomly become prime Patrick Roy, name a more iconic duo.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Avs top line was off all night and the Colton line was a disaster. They have another gear.

Makar was also rough with the puck.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Avs top line was off all night and the Colton line was a disaster. They have another gear.

Makar was also rough with the puck.

The top line was good in terms of controlling play, but they lacked the finer execution for sure.

I’d consider moving Wood off line 3 for Trenin. I really like what Trenin can do in terms of cycling the puck and defensive play.

I thought Makar was solid last night… he got robbed a couple times by Skinner and played well defensively. A couple bobbles, but none that really hurt them. It’s easy to forget how much responsibility he has to take on.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The top line was good in terms of controlling play, but they lacked the finer execution for sure.

I’d consider moving Wood off line 3 for Trenin. I really like what Trenin can do in terms of cycling the puck and defensive play.

I thought Makar was solid last night… he got robbed a couple times by Skinner and played well defensively. A couple bobbles, but none that really hurt them. It’s easy to forget how much responsibility he has to take on.
I thought there were several instances, much like the last several weeks, where Makar turned pucks over in situations he didn't need to make tough plays. It's becoming a bad habit with him.

I would leave that 4th line for now. They were tremendous last night. The 3rd line will be very interesting once Kovalenko comes over because who sits? I would say Cogliano but he seems to be gelling nicely with Trenin and Duhaime.

The 3rd line hasn't been the same since O'Connor went down.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I think having two pass first guy in the same line isn't the best. I would prefer having a shooter (Mikko/Mack), a passer (Drouin/Mitts) and defensive forward (Lehk/Nuke) on each line.

Edit: At the same time it's hard splitting up Mack and Mikko due to their chemistry.

We won a Cup when Bedsy split them up. The time has come to try again

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Until McDavid and Draistl committ to defense, they will never win a Stanley Cup. And frankly, it's a crying ass shame these two premium players don't understand or adapt to counter this glaring weakness!
I still think the McDavid hate off the puck is a little overboard. Draisaitl is the real problem. He's probably the worst off the puck/defensive player in the entire league.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I thought there were several instances, much like the last several weeks, where Makar turned pucks over in situations he didn't need to make tough plays. It's becoming a bad habit with him.

I would leave that 4th line for now. They were tremendous last night. The 3rd line will be very interesting once Kovalenko comes over because who sits? I would say Cogliano but he seems to be gelling nicely with Trenin and Duhaime.

The 3rd line hasn't been the same since O'Connor went down.
I think Bednar is going to have to get creative, because you're right - I don't think Wood and Colton work without O'Connor. Duhaime might be able to fill that role though - he seems very similar to LOC.

With all the depth though, maybe they can try spreading the wealth?
Lehky - Mack - Drouin
Wood - Mitts - Rantanen
Duhaime - Colton - Nichushkin
Cogs - Trenin - Parise

When Kovalenko comes in, you start rotating Cogs and Parise every second game, and staple the kid to Trenin.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I still think the McDavid hate off the puck is a little overboard. Draisaitl is the real problem. He's probably the worst off the puck/defensive player in the entire league.
I don't see McDavid's issue as a lack of effort - he just seems to be really bad at playing defense. Drai meanwhile really seems to think it's not his responsibility to do things when the other team has the puck.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
No forward really deserves to come out of lineup, but you have to get Kovalenko into some games to see what you have with him.

Because injuries are going to come and he’ll be in the lineup at some point.

I love Cogs, but he’d be the odd man out for me. I like what the Avs have in terms of size with Duhaime and Trenin, so I’d keep them in the lineup.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I don't see McDavid's issue as a lack of effort - he just seems to be really bad at playing defense. Drai meanwhile really seems to think it's not his responsibility to do things when the other team has the puck.
Yeah that's how I see it as well. He puts in some effort but clearly he isn't great at it, but obviously its something that you can clearly deal with.

Drai is a liability because the dude literally doesn't expel any effort at all if the Oilers aren't on offense.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
No forward really deserves to come out of lineup, but you have to get Kovalenko into some games to see what you have with him.

Because injuries are going to come and he’ll be in the lineup at some point.

I love Cogs, but he’d be the odd man out for me. I like what the Avs have in terms of size with Duhaime and Trenin, so I’d keep them in the lineup.
I vote we just rotate Cogs and Parise as healthy scratches until someone gets hurt and we need both of them. In the playoffs, that will likely sort itself out.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Yeah that's how I see it as well. He puts in some effort but clearly he isn't great at it, but obviously its something that you can clearly deal with.

Drai is a liability because the dude literally doesn't expel any effort at all if the Oilers aren't on offense.

Edmonton will hate the day when they re-sign Drai to 14-15mil a season. End of their cycle.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
I think Bednar is going to have to get creative, because you're right - I don't think Wood and Colton work without O'Connor. Duhaime might be able to fill that role though - he seems very similar to LOC.

With all the depth though, maybe they can try spreading the wealth?
Lehky - Mack - Drouin
Wood - Mitts - Rantanen
Duhaime - Colton - Nichushkin
Cogs - Trenin - Parise

When Kovalenko comes in, you start rotating Cogs and Parise every second game, and staple the kid to Trenin.
Let's not big brain this. The solution to Miles Wood playing like ass is NOT to move him up to the 2nd line and move Nichushkin to the 3rd line.

Also Bednar's never been a spread the wealth kind of guy, at most he does this with his top 2 lines but never down to the third and 4th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad