Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
hqdefault.jpg

Game Day: Avalanche at Maple Leafs
Terry KoshanMore from Terry Koshan
GAME DAY: Avalanche at Maple Leafs

COLORADO AVALANCHE (20-17-8) at TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (28-14-2)
Monday, 7 p.m., Scotiabank Arena;
TV: TSN4, Radio: 590 AM
THE BIG MATCHUP
Mikko Rantanen vs. Mitch Marner

Taken six picks apart in 2015 — the Avalanche selected Rantanen at No. 10 after Marner went No. 4 to the Leafs — the two are pieces of a high-end draft that included a couple of guys named Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel. Forget those two for a minute: Marner and Rantanen each could take the game on Monday under control and be the deciding player. Rantanen has 190 points in 210 career games; Marner has 188 in 203. Each is electrifying and worth the price printed on any ticket.
FIVE KEYS TO THE GAME
1. Be determined
Leafs coach Mike Babcock scoffed, nicely, at the idea that the Avalanche might be more desperate considering it has lost nine of the past 10. Toronto has won just twice in its past six games, failing mostly to put together a full 60 minutes. Colorado is in a tight wildcard race in the West, while the Leafs have the Boston Bruins nipping at their heels. “Can they be more desperate than us?” Babcock said. “I don’t know about that. You know you need the points, you need that feeling where you’re floating instead of grinding. You have to earn it.”
2. No rust here?
Frederik Andersen has been a spectator of Leafs games since Dec. 22, but has practised a handful of times in coming back from a groin injury. The goaltender didn’t think he would have much catching up to do, never mind that he also has to get past a brief illness. “I think once I get my energy back from this flu, I’m sure I will feel really refreshed and so hopefully that is something that is going to benefit us,” Andersen said. Against Colorado in his career, Andersen is 2-2-0 with a .938 save percentage and a 1.77 goals-against average.
3. Stop the top
Colorado’s No. 1 line of Nathan MacKinnon between Gabriel Landeskog and Mikko Rantanen is among the most dangerous in hockey, with Rantanen and MacKinnon in the top five in NHL scoring through Saturday. The Avs aren’t deep, so contain the big men and the Leafs give themselves a better shot. “We just have to make sure we are above them and they have to really earn what they’re going to get,” Leafs centre John Tavares said. “Extremely talented. It will be a tough matchup.”
4. Road considerations
The Avalanche has been a prolific club on the road, scoring 86 goals in 25 games — the most in the NHL before games on Sunday. Colorado also has given up 86 on the road, and though the Leafs have little interest in getting in a track meet, they have the horses to keep pace if the game veers that way. The Leafs, in 23 home games, have scored 74 goals and given up 59. Toronto is 6-12-1 when the opponent scores first; Colorado is 6-14-6.
5. Penalty for your thoughts
Leafs Nation feels some frustration when the topic of penalties arises, but some positive feelings could arise with the Avs in town. As the Leafs continue to wind their way out of power-play woes — when they had a power-play goal against Boston on Saturday, it was their first in six games — Colorado arrives with the dubious distinction of being shorthanded 95 times on the road, easily the most in the NHL. Still, Toronto has had just 55 power plays at home, one more than the Dallas Stars, who have the fewest.
MAPLE LEAFS LINES
LW-C-RW
Zach Hyman-John Tavares-Mitch Marner
Andreas Johnsson-Auston Matthews-Kasperi Kapanen
Patrick Marleau-Nazem Kadri-William Nylander
Par Lindholm-Frederik Gauthier-Connor Brown
Defence pairs
Morgan Rielly-Ron Hainsey
Jake Gardiner-Nikita Zaitsev
Travis Dermott-Igor Ozhiganov
Goaltenders
Frederik Andersen
Garret Sparks/Michael Hutchinson
AVALANCHE LINES
LW-C-RW
Gabriel Landeskog-Nathan MacKinnon-Mikko Rantanen
Tyson Jost-Alex Kerfoot-J.T. Compher
Matt Nieto-Carl Soderberg-Matt Calvert
Sven Andrighetto-Sheldon Dries-Colin Wilson
Defence pairs
Sam Girard-Erik Johnson
Ian Cole-Tyson Barrie
Ryan Graves-Mark Barberio
Goaltenders
Semyon Varlamov
Philipp Grubauer
INJURIES
Avalanche — D Nikita Zadorov (lower body), LW Vladimir Kamenev (shoulder).
Maple Leafs — F Tyler Ennis (ankle).
SPECIAL TEAMS
Power play
Avalanche: 25.3% (6th)
Maple Leafs: 22.6% (8th)
Penalty kill
Avalanche: 76% (27th)
Maple Leafs: 80.5% (12th)

Andersen ready to return to Leafs crease
Terry KoshanMore from Terry Koshan
Andersen ready to return to Leafs crease
ts20190109ed02-1-e1547408336417.jpg

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

LastOne2100

Jan 2, 2017
Forward skill and goaltending can't make up for lack of effort, a bad system, and terrible defense forever.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Babcock after the game: "We didn't play hard enough, weren't heavy enough. Need to be heavier next game and work".

Meanwhile we keep icing completely ineffective lines over and over. Babcock has to go.

Lines are fine. Problem is no one's trying. Everyone's coasting. Still coach's problem, but it's not the lines.

For the 3rd, Babs probably should play Lindholm-Goat-Brown for half the period, just to wake up all the passengers we got right now.

Reactions: ThewThew

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Hopefully Marleau can walk by each person in the dressing room to make them a better player immediately. Maybe he can linger around the coaches too.
Problem is bigger than any single player, though some individuals have cost us goals.

It's bad, lazy hockey

ItalianLeaf

Nov 2, 2006
Babcock is gonna be on the hot seat after this season. No doubt in my mind. This Defense and an attention to detail deficiency is unbelievable. The issue I have is, its not just this year that they have had this issue. Its been a few years now. What the hell is Babcock preaching/teaching!

Reactions: ToMaLe and hudster

Cynical

Aug 23, 2014
Jake Gardiner may have the lowest hockey IQ out of anyone on the Leafs. This guy never hustles, and has a habit of hanging onto the puck in his own zone until someone takes it away from him. If he has any value around the league, trade him.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Good teams usually pick it up once January hits. When you have an overpaid ego maniac clown of a coach you underachieve. These lines have 0 chemistry. The PP has 0 chemistry. That’s coaching.

Leafs should trade Babcock to Arizona.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToMaLe and hudster

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
It’s an 82 game season. There are ups and downs. Is this the first year you’ve watched hockey?

I get your point but don’t make it seem like Gardiner doesn’t have these type of lapses on a consistent basis. That’s the real problem...every D looks bad every now and again but with Jake it’s a near consistent pizza every few games.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Dubas cannot be this f***ing STUPID he needs to get Gardiner the F out and get a stable D-man

Gardiner single handed lost us the Game 7 and he hasn't improved; he still hides like a girl when the hit is coming and then cannot even win a freakin one on one battle when he is fresh of the bench and the other guys had been killing penalty for a good 30 seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad