Avalanche have won only 5 of past 27 games

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
Few months ago, all I saw were Avs threads boasting how they are on fire. Now those some people are gone. It was incredibly annoying, but than again I am a leafs fan so i understand

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Few months ago, all I saw were Avs threads boasting how they are on fire. Now those some people are gone. It was incredibly annoying, but than again I am a leafs fan so i understand
The team went from 17-7-5....to....22-23-11.

I think I know why people stopped saying they were on fire.

Reactions: Cappuccino

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Try last 10, last 20, last 30, or ”this year”. Anything else is moronic.

How is last 30 any less arbitrary than last 27? It's just a "rounder" number. 30 doesn't actually mean anything. In fact, 30 is arguably an even more arbitrary number than 27, since 27 is near exactly 1/3 of an 82-game season (27.33).

Reactions: Irish Blues

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
What is strange is their advanced stats are actually improving dramatically. Score effects have some impact here, but they do not tell the whole story.

It does continue a narrative about the Avs wildly over or under-performing their underlying advanced stats, which is not based on a small sample size.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Why do you keep saying he?

As I said, this is a stat I saw, not purposely researched. And, like any stat that emphasizes the extremes of any streak, it seemed normal to me and to 99% of any sports fan who seen streaks laid in similar fashion thousands of times.

I’m a Habs fan who lives in Toronto. What on earth could possibly be the case where I’d have an agenda against the Colorado Avalanche?

It's the Roy trade all over again eh. It's causing you to post stats and numbers to intentionally make the Avs look bad because they look so good otherwise.

Reactions: koyvoo

Duffalufagus

Jan 4, 2017
The nhl sched is a grind and these kids, without a supporting cast, have been swallowed by that grind.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
It's been an utterly pathetic collapse. I don't expect management will do anything about it, and certainly not ownership anything about management. Which is unfortunate since both management and coaching (and scouting...) should be cleaned out considering they oversaw 2016/17 as well. But I expect none of that will happen. Passive Joe will continue to rule the roost, scouting will continue to be incompetent, and Bednar -- a decent enough coach but one who clearly isn't good enough for this team -- will get another crack next season most likely.

The top line was overplayed the first half of the season and is pretty clearly burnt out, mentally and physically. The rest of the forward group, aside from Soda, who is awesome, is a pathetic group of passengers -- that was plain as day all offseason and Sakic did nothing about it. The defense has no #1 D, has two inconsistent younger players (Z, Girard), a couple of bottom pairing plugs (Nemeth, Cole), an aging top pairing D, and an awesome #3. And goaltending has been a joke.

Unfortunately I think management, like many fans, has jumped aboard the 'draft picks and prospects (aka Makar) will save us' train. Wonder the over / under on ~two years until someone else burns out and pulls a Duchene from sheer burnout and frustration with the losing culture that has enveloped the organization.

This is all coming from a remarkably hacked off fan who saw some of this crap coming all offseason so keep in mind it might not be 100% rational.

I feel ya, Avs have actually done a lot better as far as metrics goes, so just as their great start to the season wasn't sustainable, neither is their current play. That being said it's actually alarming that the most sustainable group during their good run was their top line.

Reactions: MacBradley

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
If you truly want to evaluate 1/3 of the Avs' season, you'd actually look at their last 82 periods (27 games + the 3rd period of the 28th game).

Any other time frame and you CLEARLY have an agenda.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Avs goaltending has fallen apart and with it the rest of the team which further exposed their lack of depth..

Also Jared Bednar twice now has been at the helm of an epic in-season collapse. If he can't turn it around in the last 25 games, he clearly has to be shown the door.

I will state it again. This sub and the hockey world in general is crazily undervaluing good coaching.

Leafs hire Babcock after finally fixing their management and all of a sudden they look like a powerhouse after years of suckage.

Islanders were pinned to compete with the Canadiens and the Sens for last place. What happened? Trotz happened... And Julien to a lesser degree....

Vegas should have finished last the previous season. What happened? Gallant happened....

Philly all of a sudden going on a hot streak after getting rid of Hakstol? Surprise....

STL bounces back big time after firing an inept coach in Yeo? Surprise...

And so on....

Roster building and asset management is incredibly important. There are certain dumpster fires that are very hard to turn around for any coach in one year. Oilers might be such a case right now.

Still. One constant alongside nepotism and bad drafting for the Avs over the last decade has been rookie coaches that turned out to be bad...

The results have been accordingly...

The Avs shouldn't throw money at Stone, Panarin, etc at all this offseason. Ultimately these guys won't put us over the hump and only clog up our capsituation longterm.

What they should do is throw money at Q and hope that he like Denver/Colorado enough to forget about the bad blood spilled when he got blamed for a completely bled dry roster in his first go-around with the Avs...

Honestly Avs need a coach like Bill Peters a coach that coaches great metrics and also a up tempo system. What is Bednar like in terms of system? Is he more restrictive or more up tempo? From the Avs games I've seen, he seems to make sure the Avs play a more safer game where they allow a ton of overall chances but not necessarily the highest quality ones.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
Honestly Avs need a coach like Bill Peters a coach that coaches great metrics and also a up tempo system. What is Bednar like in terms of system? Is he more restrictive or more up tempo? From the Avs games I've seen, he seems to make sure the Avs play a more safer game where they allow a ton of overall chances but not necessarily the highest quality ones.

Bednars system - shoot from the point, get rebound, repeat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad