Avalanche have won only 5 of past 27 games

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
They've gained 11 points in the standings solely because they lost after regulation, instead of before.

Colorado's true record is 22-34, it's just that the NHL wanted to be creative with how these losses are quantified. No ties anymore, so this is the new standard.

It's even refered to as "OTL" in the standings, so the league readily admits that it's still a loss.

Every team has benefitted from it, of course, not just Colorado. Didn't mean to single them out. It's just that they seem to benefit more than the rest. :laugh:
Except 3 on 3 is not hockey. If OT was 5 on 5 then I agree with you that we shouldn't award loser points. Losing in 3 on 3 is not the same as 5 on 5.

Reactions: AvsFan29

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
they will just end up with the #1 and #2 picks in the draft :)
;)
upload_2019-2-14_9-26-24.png

;)

Akustiikka

Dec 16, 2018
So from one good game to loose 3-0 at home.

I know lot of people dont want to blame the first line, but they really are not clicking atm. Rantanen had a bad game. He lost the puck way too often due to bad puck control. He had a breakaway and missed by a mile (maybe unlucky puck bounce).

First goal they conceded came from awfull pass by Gabe from their own zone, and Rantanen missed the marking in the end. There were few good individual efforts by Nate and Mikko, but they were individual efforts, nothing together. Nathan had few good moves, but nothing meaningful. Most of the time he was invisible on the ice.

Goaltending was okay, defence was okay. Depth wasnt the problem. 4th line played well. They are not scoring, and top line is cold.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
So from one good game to loose 3-0 at home.

I know lot of people dont want to blame the first line, but they really are not clicking atm. Rantanen had a bad game. He lost the puck way too often due to bad puck control. He had a breakaway and missed by a mile (maybe unlucky puck bounce).

First goal they conceded came from awfull pass by Gabe from their own zone, and Rantanen missed the marking in the end. There were few good individual efforts by Nate and Mikko, but they were individual efforts, nothing together. Nathan had few good moves, but nothing meaningful. Most of the time he was invisible on the ice.

Goaltending was okay, defence was okay. Depth wasnt the problem. 4th line played well. They are not scoring, and top line is cold.

The season is most likely over.

Our playoff chances are down to 29.5% after today's loss, and will be even lower after all of tonight's games.

We need to go 14-6-4 just to have a 75% chance at making the playoffs.

If we go 11-11-2, we have a very high chance of a top 5 pick.

I can't see us even winning 11 of the final 24 games.

Hopefully 2 top 10 picks will be a big boost to the team next season.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Worst bottom-9 in the NHL.

Worst goaltending in the league the last two months.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Goaltending yes. Worst bottom 9? We are middle of the pack in secondary scoring.

Also, Edmonton exists

You win. Edmonton's is worse.

But define secondary scoring? If we're throwing Tyson Barrie into the mix, then yeah, I can see it.

But just looking at the forwards, my god, it's bad. The only player outside of the "big 3" with more than 30 points is Carl Soderberg (34 points). He, Compher, Calvert, and Nieto are all solid. After that, it is a complete train wreck.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
You win. Edmonton's is worse.

But define secondary scoring? If we're throwing Tyson Barrie into the mix, then yeah, I can see it.

But just looking at the forwards, my god, it's bad. The only player outside of the "big 3" with more than 30 points is Carl Soderberg (34 points). He, Compher, Calvert, and Nieto are all solid. After that, it is a complete train wreck.
Yah...its not ideal lol Barrie is also a huge defensive liability and has personally cost us 5+ games this year.

The Ottawa pick looks like a top 5, and I wouldn't be surprised to see us get into the top 10, with an outside shot at a second top 5.

Hopefully those picks / FA signings will give our top guys some better support.

We already have 2 of the top 5 highest scoring players over the last 2 seasons, so hopefully we can build on that.

We also have Makar on the way, and he should provide some offense.

Nothing is going to happen this year.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Yah...its not ideal lol Barrie is also a huge defensive liability and has personally cost us 5+ games this year.

The Ottawa pick looks like a top 5, and I wouldn't be surprised to see us get into the top 10, with an outside shot at a second top 5.

Hopefully those picks / FA signings will give our top guys some better support.

We already have 2 of the top 5 highest scoring players over the last 2 seasons, so hopefully we can build on that.

We also have Makar on the way, and he should provide some offense.

Nothing is going to happen this year.

I agree, the team is burnt toast this year.

And I also agree, as bad as they've been, there are some serious reinforcements on the way - Ott '19, Makar - along with a boat load of cap space.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I agree, the team is burnt toast this year.

And I also agree, as bad as they've been, there are some serious reinforcements on the way - Ott '19, Makar - along with a boat load of cap space.
We can probably expect a new coaching staff aswell. Hopefully new goalies. Grubauer has been the worst goalie in the league this year.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190216-145808.png
    Screenshot_20190216-145808.png
    477.6 KB · Views: 5

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Been in lottery contention for what feels like 10 years.
Won the Central in 2013, and made the playoffs last year. Other than that, it's been a mess. Our rebuild with Duchene got us nowhere. Well, it got us some good picks Like MacKinnon, Rantanen, Makar.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Won the Central in 2013, and made the playoffs last year. Other than that, it's been a mess. Our rebuild with Duchene got us nowhere. Well, it got us some good picks Like MacKinnon, Rantanen, Makar.
Those 3 look to be the pillars along with Jack Hughes.

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
Avs have been a one and done team for the past ten years when it comes to making the playoffs. Frustrating.

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I’m just happy we might have a chance of getting one of Hughes or Kakko and Makar coming up next year. Goaltending has been pathetic but so has most of the team. Top line and Soderberg are the only ones producing at the moment. I honestly wouldn’t be angry if the team mailed it in and got a chance to have another top pick. #losermentality

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad