GDT: Avalanche at Blues @ 2:00 PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
Jesus, watching this now. The only thing the Blues care about is starting ****. Sorry to the fans that paid for this. This is the laziest they have looked in maybe 3 seasons. Almost like they didnt want to win. Are they trying to tank for the Wild? I wouldnt mind it as a result because I think ANA isnt getting past the 2nd round so home ice is still a good possibility. But damn, its kind of hard to believe. They actually looked like they didnt give a **** against the Sabres as well. Sabres are just terrible.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
They really need to just focus on playing hockey and stop getting into these useless scrums that only ever results in penalties and goals against like in this game. ****ing pointless BS. Stay with what got you here.

Now Im going to read what Im assuming is a joke of a thread on the main board.

illninofan*

Meh, they're still not a "rival" to me. I don't hate the avs. Patrick Bordeleau is a nuisance, but that's about it. :dunno:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I guess it's just me, but this team dosnt look like they have given a **** since December.

Fred Murtz

Jan 20, 2009
Brenden Morrow crosschecking major on John Mitchell. Am I missing something? Was it off camera?

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
poor kid :D
OZN0G4G.jpg

Lil' puss:laugh:

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
I guess it's just me, but this team dosnt look like they have given a **** since December.

Ever since the January 10th, 2-1 loss in the Canucks game (when they got Steen and everyone back), the Blues have (imo) noticeably been a different team. Before that point their offense and powerplay was smooth and seemed effortless, since then generating scoring anywhere (except shorthanded) has seemed like a chore. Plus their effort put forth, night in night out has waned imo. Before that point they would start terrible in the 1st, and be the best team in the NHL for the 2nd and 3rd, now...you never know if they're gonna show up at all.

Last edited:

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Plus their effort put forth, night in night out has waned imo. Before that point they would start terrible in the 1st, and be the best team in the NHL for the 2nd and 3rd, now...you never know if they're gonna show up at all.

bluesman11

Robert Johnson
Mar 19, 2010
Plus their effort put forth, night in night out has waned imo. Before that point they would start terrible in the 1st, and be the best team in the NHL for the 2nd and 3rd, now...you never know if they're gonna show up at all.

You're right when they're off, they're off, but the flip side is they're 1st in the conference and only two points behind for the league lead with a game in hand.

While playing shorthanded which has shown their holes in the top six, without the extra top six center and two of their best wingers out.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
Did Landeskog dive on that entanglement with Backes or did he just trip?? I was in the bathroom and my girlfriend said he dove like he was on the swim team?

That is an accurate description. Though I think his toe picked the ice.

BigB

We Want Big Macs!
Nov 25, 2011
USA
Ever since the January 10th, 2-1 loss in the Canucks game (when they got Steen and everyone back), the Blues have (imo) noticeably been a different team. Before that point their offense and powerplay was smooth and seemed effortless, since then generating scoring anywhere (except shorthanded) has seemed like a chore. Plus their effort put forth, night in night out has waned imo. Before that point they would start terrible in the 1st, and be the best team in the NHL for the 2nd and 3rd, now...you never know if they're gonna show up at all.

Pretty fair assessment in my opinion as well. It has been a struggle and fluid motions are long gone. Slow to pass and forcing guys to literally stop at the blue lines before getting a pass. No speed generation can be had this way.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'm gonna stop looking at the thread on the main board. The constant bickering still going on about the Backes/MacKinnon thing is unbelievably annoying.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
I'm gonna stop looking at the thread on the main board. The constant bickering still going on about the Backes/MacKinnon thing is unbelievably annoying.

The title is ultimately misleading, and instead should be is backes a gutless worm. Not one post has any substance in an argument about rivalry.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Honestly, Backes has basically entered Brown/Cooke territory in that whenever he does something remotely borderline there will be a post on the main board with hordes of other fans chiming in about how "gutless" he is.

I commend Kings fans for having to deal with all the abuse Brown gets on HF, it really is annoying to see constant people **** on your team's captain.

illninofan*

I'm going to relax and enjoy the show, no need to be supet. I say good for Backes. To the teams who hate him:

r4q8mo9.png

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Honestly, Backes has basically entered Brown/Cooke territory in that whenever he does something remotely borderline there will be a post on the main board with hordes of other fans chiming in about how "gutless" he is.

I commend Kings fans for having to deal with all the abuse Brown gets on HF, it really is annoying to see constant people **** on your team's captain.

I wouldn't say that. Whenever I notice someone saying those things it's generally (70% of the time) a hawks fan.

Also not sure why anything that dinosaur says is taken with an ounce of seriousness.

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis

It's not just you. I very much agree.

Can't win them all. But you can look like getting curb stomped bothers you a bit.....piss poor effort, and then gooning it up makes it worse. Steen and Backes lately....****! Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon....

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
I dont usually post in other team's GDT's, but I must say, I am a fan of your guys' arena. This was my 3rd time there and it always amazes me that I dont think there is one bad seat in the entire arena.

Also, most the fans were great too. There were a couple Blues fans getting awfully defensive with another Avs fan after 3-0, but other than that it was a great environment and definitely a great place to enjoy a hockey game.

Cheers!

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I am probably going to get some hate for this, but I slightly agree with the people critiquing Backes. I think they are blowing it way out of proportion, but Backes was in the wrong. Let me reiterate that I m a huge Blues fan and a Backes fan. I am just willing to say when my team or players I like make mistakes. The whole situation could have been handled better by a variety of people.

The Bordeleau hit on Shattenkirk was BS. He could have been called for boarding, roughing, charging or elbowing. The refs blew it by missing the call. They further blew it by not letting Jackman settle the score right then. Bordeleau chickened out by avoiding a fight with either Ott, Lapierre or Jackman on later plays. That was gutless. If he had faced the music, MacKinnon would have never been in danger. If Blues could have settled the score with Bordeleau, then rest never would have happened.

Now for Backes. He did show some restraint, but it reminded me a little bit of the abhorant Emery/Holtby incident. A grizzled vet on a team that is getting stomped and playing uninspired takes out his frustrations on a younger player who wants no part of the fight. Tonight was no where near as bad, but that is only a measure of degree not the situation itself. Backes was gunning for MacKinnon. Backes hit him first, and it was a couple paces after MacKinnon got rid of the puck. He came in off balance to hurry up and avoid an interference for hitting him late.. MacKinnon pushed him down on a reverse check, perfectly acceptable to protect himself from the hit. Backes used it as an excuse to fight him. Backes took him down immediately and hit him with short shots on the ground. Backes wouldn't let the refs break it up either. He kept giving him short elbows while the ref was trying to pull him away.

What did MacKinnon do to deserve that? He had a really good game and made the Blues look bad. Fighting is part of hockey, It is a rightfully used as a punitive measure. But it is a punitive measure against dirty or physical play. It is a part of hockey for players who want to fight or break the unwritten rules. Legally check a star all you want, and hit him within the bounds of the rules. However, it is wrong to take him to the ground and elbow him repeatedly for beating your team on the ice. This was purely a case of "If we can't beat them on the ice, we'll beat them on the ice."

Backes could have done a lot worse. The Avs deserved some retribution for the Bordeleau hit. But Bordeleau deserved it, not MacKinnon. Backes is too much of a hot head. I love the fire at times. I hate the stupid penalties and fighting out of frustration when the Blues are losing. That was what this was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad