Avalanche 2020-2021 Potential Lineups

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
People say that Kaut needs playing time and on the other hand that he can’t learn much in the AHL.

Could he learn by practicing and being around the team, without playing much?
(Having practice, extra practice as a scratch, and also being around skills coachs.)

I’d like to hear this Board’s thougths on the value of practicing in the NHL as way to develop a player instead of playing in the AHL.

I don't believe that players like Byram or Kaut can't learn anything playing in the WHL or AHL.

There's always things you can learn. If you're dominating offensively because you're better than most players, then you should be taking advantage of that, and learning how to dominate defensively AND offensively at the same time. Learning how to improve the weaknesses in your game without sacrificing your strengths.

What you learn in practice is how you should play. What you learn in games is how you are playing. Then you can work with the coaches to make adjustments in practice and test out your improvement again during games. That's what development is.

If you're just practicing you're never really testing yourself, and therefore you're not really growing your game that much. You're just assuming that you can do in games what you do in practice. Which usually isn't the case, especially when you're a youngster playing against men in the NHL.

Reactions: MarkT and McMetal

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Yeah, I don't see the development value in practicing at all. Game reps are always the best way to get better, specifically in environments that are challenging to you. That's the only way a real competitor can grow their game.

In Byram's case, he is just way too good for the WHL. He won't be challenged there, and so his game will stagnate at best. At worst, he'll start to develop lazy habits that come from simply being able to out-talent anybody he plays, habits that will get him burned at the NHL level. That would actively harm his development, and even though he was a "free" 4OA pick, he's too valuable to risk that.

With Kaut, I think he needs to be in the NHL too. He showed well while he was there, and proved he could at least hang and contribute with the big boys and not be a liability. If you want to continue to challenge him and force him to get better, he needs to be up there getting shifts in, even if it's only 4th line minutes.

I know we're competing for a cup, but unless you're trading these guys to get better, you can't let 1st round picks stagnate and screw up their development or else your window will slam shut hard. They both need to be given every opportunity to make the team, and tie goes to the rookie in this case. If they cost you a couple games in the regular season it doesn't matter, give them the reps and they'll hopefully be ready for when the games actually matter.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
In retrospect, I just really want to see Calvert - MacKinnon - Burakovsky. I don't really care about the rest. Calvert and MacKinnon have clear chemistry and I am a strong believer that Calvert is actually a top 6 winger who has been miscast as a 4th liner due to his play style. Meanwhile, watching Burakovsky's highlight reel, most of his goals come when he plays with MacKinnon, but I don't think Burakovsky - MacKinnon - Rantanen works because who the heck plays defence on that line?

Plus, that line frees up Landeskog and Rantanen (and by extension Saad) to help elevate other lines. It's a win-win!

Reactions: MaKarter

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Too much time in the AHL leads to stagnation. By 100 GP they need to be moved on.
I don’t disagree. But if they’re moving on, they need to be moving on to a situation that provides advancement.

mid hes going to come here and play less than 10 minutes on the 4th line, I’m not sure that’s actually better.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
In retrospect, I just really want to see Calvert - MacKinnon - Burakovsky. I don't really care about the rest. Calvert and MacKinnon have clear chemistry and I am a strong believer that Calvert is actually a top 6 winger who has been miscast as a 4th liner due to his play style. Meanwhile, watching Burakovsky's highlight reel, most of his goals come when he plays with MacKinnon, but I don't think Burakovsky - MacKinnon - Rantanen works because who the heck plays defence on that line?

Plus, that line frees up Landeskog and Rantanen (and by extension Saad) to help elevate other lines. It's a win-win!

Since Bednar is the head coach, you’ll undoubtedly see that line combo at some point.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
My team, would be the following, and based on the following:
* Balance the talent and become less top heavy
* Play as many players on their preferred side, specialty position as possible
* Stick with chemistry as much as possible

Landeskog - Mackinnon - Burakovsky
Saad - Kadri - Rantanen
Nichushkin - Jost - Donskoi
Calvert - Bellemare - Compher

Graves - Makar
Toews - Johnson
Girard - Cole

Grubauer
Francouz

Callups: O'Connor, Kaut, Timmins
Potential callups: Newhook, Bowers, Byram

Long term defense: Graves, Makar, Toews, Girard, Byram, Timmins

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
Defense only.

If Byram makes the team:
Graves - Makar
Toews - Girard
Byram - Johnson
Cole
Call up: Timmons

If Byram doesn't make the team:
Toews - Makar
Girard - Johnson
Graves- Cole/ Timmons
Cole/ Timmons

Reactions: MarkT

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Saad - Mackinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Kadri - Burakovsky

Toews - Makar
Girard - EJ
Graves - Timmins/Cole

Grubauer
Francouz

Callups: O'Connor, Kaut, Bowers

- Saad is a fast, defensive and better scorer near the net. Motivated for a new contract;
- Landy is slowing and frequently injured, dropping to the 2nd line with Kadri defensively shields Bura;
- Jost (last chance) is surrounded by bigger & stronger defensive players;
- Toews is better than Graves (likely traded or exposed);
- EJ protects the smallish Girard and allows Timmins more time;
- Graves drops to shutdown and mentoring Timmins;
- Cole is the odd player out of the lineup, but will be used for injuries or relief.

Reactions: MarkT and LTC Pain

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Saad - Mackinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Kadri - Burakovsky

Toews - Makar
Girard - EJ
Graves - Timmins/Cole

Grubauer
Francouz

Callups: O'Connor, Kaut, Bowers

- Saad is a fast, defensive and better scorer near the net. Motivated for a new contract;
- Landy is slowing and frequently injured, dropping to the 2nd line with Kadri defensively shields Bura;
- Jost (last chance) is surrounded by bigger & stronger defensive players;
- Toews is better than Graves (likely traded or exposed);
- EJ protects the smallish Girard and allows Timmins more time;
- Graves drops to shutdown and mentoring Timmins;
- Cole is the odd player out of the lineup, but will be used for injuries or relief.

Throwing Landy on the 2nd line also means he'll have a lower production which may help negotiations a bit.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Saad-Kadri-Burakovsky
Nichushkin-Compher-Donskoi
Jost-Bellemare-Calvert
O'Connor

Graves-Makar
Girard-Toews
Byram-EJ
Cole, Timmins

Grubauer
Francouz

I'd like to see a Toews-Makar pairing and for Graves to play lower but I had to get Byram in there. I don't want Byram or Graves on the right side either so Graves sticks with Makar for now. Toews is better than EJ so I put him in the top four but I guess you could swap the two of them.

I also think O'Connor might be a better fit than Jost in that 4th line role but Jost likely won't be scratched so he gets that spot.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
According to NHL.com Avs have the best 1st line, and 5th best 2nd line in the NHL.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Throwing Landy on the 2nd line also means he'll have a lower production which may help negotiations a bit.

4le5wj.jpg

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Bura - Mack - Rants
Landy - Kadri - Saad
Jost - Compher - Donskoi
Calvert - Bellemare - Nuke
O'Connor

Toews - Makar
Girard - EJ
Graves - Cole
Gilbert

Gru/Frank

22 man roster - $173,614 in cap space

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
How do you guys see the goaltending situation ending up? 32 Grubauer, 24 Francouz seem about right? Or is there any chance that Francouz could play more than Grub?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don’t think the Avs need to commit to PEB being an every day NHL’er.

I love him and loved what he brought, but he became less and less effective with each passing game last year kinda like Soderberg did in the year prior. The season probably caught up with him. Give him lots of nights off. It gives us an opportunity to have a look at other players while also keeping him fresh because his defensive presence, PK’ing and faceoff ability will be much needed in the playoffs.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Bednar likes a set and forget lineup. He even prefers to play the same in a b2b. Maybe situations force his hand this year but hard to change your stripes now.

I am concerned with the third goalie situation. I get that it doesn’t matter until it does. Maybe Grubi and Frank can stay healthy but they are going to have to cover in case there’s a covid situation that knocks one or both out. The third should be a guy you are comfortable with playing for a couple weeks if it comes to that. I don’t like this playing with fire and then having to make a trade to get in a guy off the street level option. Just properly sign someone this time? They have to carry 3 regardless. At this point I hope the plan is just to poach someone from waivers.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I don’t think the Avs need to commit to PEB being an every day NHL’er.

I love him and loved what he brought, but he became less and less effective with each passing game last year kinda like Soderberg did in the year prior. The season probably caught up with him. Give him lots of nights off. It gives us an opportunity to have a look at other players while also keeping him fresh because his defensive presence, PK’ing and faceoff ability will be much needed in the playoffs.
PEB along with Calvert and Nieto were excellent in the round robin, especially in that Dallas round robin game where they hemmed Dallas in their zone every shift. He got less impactful as the playoffs wore on, but that was clearly in part due to the fact that injuries disrupted the lines, since Calvert was out and the 4th line was effectively a mish-mash of whoever was available. If PEB can rediscover a consistent game together with Calvert and whoever Nieto's replacement ends up being then I doubt Bednar drops him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad