Avalanche 2020-2021 Potential Lineups

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I do think Graves can play a similar meat and potatoes game to Mayfield, who was Toews’ regular partner on Long Island. If one of them can switch to the right, it’s definitely an option. Graves is used to playing with a speed merchant offensive minded blueliner but Toews is less of an absolute maverick and more positionally sound defensively than Makar at this point so perhaps it’ll feel less like Makar dragging Graves around and more of an actual “pairing”.

This would also let EJ side into a mentor ship role with Byram and kick Cole out of the top 6. Timmins is groomed to replace EJ eventually.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I'm thinking....

Saad - Mack - Rantanen
Landy - Naz - Burakovsky
Nuke - JTC - Donskoi
Calvert - PEB - LOC/Jost

Girard - Makar
Toews - Johnson
Graves - Timmins
Cole

Grubauer
Francouz

That's what I would do. Saad can score 30 on that line and be a real good puck retrieval player for that group down low.

Yeah, exactly this.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I'm thinking....

Saad - Mack - Rantanen
Landy - Naz - Burakovsky
Nuke - JTC - Donskoi
Calvert - PEB - LOC/Jost

Girard - Makar
Toews - Johnson
Graves - Timmins
Cole

Grubauer
Francouz

That's what I would do. Saad can score 30 on that line and be a real good puck retrieval player for that group down low.
Yeah, the great thing about this one is no one is really slotted higher than they should be, even on defense. (Other than Saad, I guess, but that one's fine.)

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I'm going to like every lineup posted in this thread without even reading it because I don't think there's a bad lineup you can make with the players we have.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I'm going to like every lineup posted in this thread without even reading it because I don't think there's a bad lineup you can make with the players we have.
Donskoi ---- Mackinnon --- Rantanen
Landeskog ---- Kadri ------- Compher
Burakovsky --- Jost -------- Saad
Calvert ----- Bellemare ---- Nichuskin

Cole ------ Makar
Graves --- Johnson
Toews --- Girard

I tried but it's still not that bad (apart from Cole lol) :laugh:

Reactions: MarkT

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah, the great thing about this one is no one is really slotted higher than they should be, even on defense. (Other than Saad, I guess, but that one's fine.)

I think you could even make the argument that Saad is a borderline first line player. His offensive production is more along the lines of a 2nd liner... But you look at his shot generation numbers vs. his on ice sh% numbers and you get a guy who probably would be more productive on a line with guys who can convert on more of the scoring chances they generate.

It really would not surprise me to see Saad have a career year lining up next to Mack and Mikko for a full year. 30/30 sort of season.

Where I really think he and the Avs in general will benefit from having him, is right in front of the net. That's his wheel house for scoring goals and the Avs really needed another guy like that in our Top 6.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
My way too early prediction...

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Burakovsky - Kadri - Nichushkin
Saad - Compher - Donskoi
Jost - Bellemare - Calvert

Graves - Makar
Girard - Toews
Byram - Johnson

Scratch: Cole, Dries, O'Connor

Saad probably starts on Line 2, but Bednar juggles things constantly and I think the third line I posted is interesting.

Dries is a place holder for the random AHLer we can expect to make the team out of camp.

I think Kaut will get called up quick.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Saad - MacKinnon - Burakovsky
Landeskog - Kadri - Rantanen
Nichushkin - Compher - Donskoi
Calvert - Bellemare - O'Connor
Jost

I'm not even going to try the defense because there are so many possible combinations and permutations there depending on what happens with Byram and Timmins

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
Landeskog - MacKinnon - Burakovsky
Saad - Kadri - Rantanen
Nichushkin - Bellemare - Donskoi
Calvert - Compher - O'Conner
Jost

Toews - Makar
Girard - Johnson
Graves - Cole
7- Gilbert
AHL call up- Timmins

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Landeskog - MacKinnon - Burakovsky
Saad - Kadri - Rantanen
Nichushkin - Bellemare - Donskoi
Calvert - Compher - O'Conner
Jost

I wonder which PP unit Saad will go on?

I fully expect Bednar to keep only putting G and Makar together if we are down a goal. So I expect something like this.

Toews - Makar (If tied or with a lead) / G - Makar (Down a goal)
G - EJ (If tied or with a lead) / Toews - EJ (Down a Goal)
Graves - Cole
Timmins

I really hope that Bo and Timmins push Graves and Cole out of the lineup and that both can play the PK. We probably won't be able to unload Cole this season without sacrificing a pick. So we might as well just let his contract expire and keep the depth, or flip him at the trade deadline. I also expect Graves to be our expansion fodder. Keeping 8 D men with the team isn't ideal, but I really hope at least one of our young Dmen are ready to take the next step.

If somehow everything goes perfectly I hope this is what we are rolling come playoff time.

Bo - Makar
G - Timmins
Toews - EJ
Graves
Cole

I suspect EJ will still be better than Timmins all year, but I'd rather we lighten his load to avoid yet another injury.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
There’s so many different options that I could see playing out on defence to start the season and so much of it hinges upon how Byram and Timmins play in camp. It does seem like there’s more pairing options in which Timmins could play.

Toews - Makar
Girard - Johnson
Graves - Cole

Graves - Makar
Girard - Toews
Byram - Johnson

Toews - Makar
Girard - Johnson
Graves - Timmins

Girard - Makar
Toews - Johnson
Graves - Timmins

Girard - Makar
Toews - Johnson
Graves - Cole

Right now we’re looking at a 6,7,8,9 D of Byram, Cole, Timmins, and Gilbert. Good depth, but tough decisions to be made on the lineup.

Reactions: MarkT and Richard88

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Saad-Mackinnon-Rantanen
Landy-Kadri-Bura
Nuke-Bellemare-Donskoi
Calvert-Compher-Kaut

Girard-Makar
Graves-Toews
Byram-Johnson
Cole

Timmins can go back and forth to the AHL

Reactions: MarkT and Outbreaks

duckbear

Mar 31, 2016
This might not be the place for this but while these lines are all good, doesn't this look better? I wouldn't loved watching this 2nd line eat up 2nd pairing defenders, and all it would have cost us is Graves/Saad. Sad.

Landeskog MacKinnon Rantanen
Hall Kadri Burakovsky
Nichushkin Compher Donskoi
Calvert Bellemare Jost
O'Connor

Toews Makar
Girard Timmins/Johnson
Byram Johnson/Timmins
Cole rotates in frequently to give rest to rookies.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Graves - Markar is not a good thing.

3Uaf.gif

Also if Toews and Girard form a pairing, Toews will be RD.
Seriously. Get Graves away from Makar for gods sake. I’m a fan of:

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Saad- Kadri - Burakovsky
Nichushkin - Compher -Donskoi
Calvert - P.E.B - Kaut

I think Kaut would be amazing on the 4th line with those two or even on the 3rd line and switch him and Donskoi. I think Kaut is gonna be a 30-35 point player very soon.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Is there something I am missing on Kaut? I know he had conditioning issues during his call up but hardly anyone is even mentioning him as a 4th liner even going so far as to put Jost/LOC over him. I know a lot of you guys keep up with prospects really well, someone set me straight please.

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
We all know better than to put Jost as the extra forward.

You know right well Bednar will be starting the season with him on the third line in replace of Nuke because he "had a real good camp"

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Girard-Makar
Toews-EJ
Graves-Cole

This will obviously be the starting lineup on D. I'd like Timmins in there but Cole is a trusty vet.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Is there something I am missing on Kaut? I know he had conditioning issues during his call up but hardly anyone is even mentioning him as a 4th liner even going so far as to put Jost/LOC over him. I know a lot of you guys keep up with prospects really well, someone set me straight please.

I would assume it's just because he hasn't really locked down an NHL job yet. He's only played in the NHL for that 9 game stint last year.

LOC's older, has more games in the NHL, and is more of traditional low maintanence 4th liner. If Kaut doesn't make the lineup out of camp, he'll likely go to the AHL and be their first call up so he can continue to work on his development.

A 4th line job is there for him to take though if he can beat out LOC and Jost, which is certainly possible. Kaut looked real solid in his games last year.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Ok, I'll give my annual sneaky best line up no one agrees with....

Landeskog-Bellemare-Nichushkin
Saad-Kadri-Burakovsky
Calvert-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Kaut-JTC-Donskoi

Cole-Makar
Toews-EJ
Byram-Girard

Grubauer
Francouz

Edit: The reasoning for my line combos..

1st line- will feature the most handsome man on the planet and two misfits. Could be some hidden chemistry there.

2nd line- nothing changes

3rd line- you can never break up MacK and Mikko even if an asteroid the size of Idaho hits the earth.

4th line- whynot

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad