Speculation: Available Coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrjiggyfly

Jun 1, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
No way Capuano. Even if it turns out that the Islanders just don't have a good team and it wasn't all his fault. You just can't turn off a new fan base by hiring a guy that so many people see as being a poor coach.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Therrien is now on the market. :sarcasm:

giphy.gif

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
Capuano would not be the right hire in my opinion. He's more suited for the A. If Foley hires that guy, they'll never win the Cup in 6 years.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Anybody mind giving me cliff notes on Capuano?

While they are in the same conference as my team, I don't know anything about their play style.

- Uh oh. Read about Capuano on an Isles blog...he is a physical, dump and chase coach. While that style used to win, it's outdated and ineffective.

Name of the game now is 200" play and speed, speed, speed.

Last edited:

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Im wondering how much a dark horse Marc Crawford would be. With the Senators rise in the eastern standings, I wonder how much of it is from things Marc has implemented as an assistant. The guy would undoubtedly be hungry to be the HC of an NHL team again.

HankHenry

Feb 15, 2017
Eastern ON
Im wondering how much a dark horse Marc Crawford would be. With the Senators rise in the eastern standings, I wonder how much of it is from things Marc has implemented as an assistant. The guy would undoubtedly be hungry to be the HC of an NHL team again.

This would not surprise me. Name coach who's had a lot of success and been around a long time being able to adapt with the changes in the game over the years.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Sheldon Keefe is a perfect fit for this franchise. Young coach with playing background, impact performance at every stop. I'd lock him up before someone else does.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
Read somewhere that he is rumored to take over Buffalo, which in turn would make Dan Bylsma available. Bylsma is even more interesting due to his relatively low age, I think.

No! No! 1000 times No! Have not been a fan of Bylsma these past two years. Definitely not a coach to develop a team.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Willie Desjardins is now available. I'd be curious to see what he would do with a functional roster. He was dealt a rough hand (Injuries alone knocked the team on its collective butt) in Vancouver and probably deserves a second chance somewhere.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I don't think it's too weird to not have a coach yet. Like Knish said, there's a few more candidates now, and all a coach can do prior to the expansion draft is give input on the draft. I think the hockey operations team thinks they've got that part handled fairly well.

It might make some sense to hire someone soon so they can have their choice of assistants prior to them getting hired by other teams, but that's the only real benefit I see to moving a coach hire up a little bit.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I don't think it's too weird to not have a coach yet. Like Knish said, there's a few more candidates now, and all a coach can do prior to the expansion draft is give input on the draft. I think the hockey operations team thinks they've got that part handled fairly well.

It might make some sense to hire someone soon so they can have their choice of assistants prior to them getting hired by other teams, but that's the only real benefit I see to moving a coach hire up a little bit.

That's still a pretty significant responsibility though, the coach is going to have to spend the most time with the players, and will probably have some insider info on certain players and their habits.
Plus the longer a coach can spend with the mgmt. the better he can understand the philosophy they want to implement.

A great coach can be better than any player we end up with in our opening day line-up if we play our cards right, it'd probably be a good idea for him to have a say in who we pick in the draft.

I think they should hire a coach before the expansion draft at least, they may have just been waiting to see who would be let go at the end of the season, Ruff and Desjardins already let go so far.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I just figure they'd have hired a person already if they thought they needed someone's input on the draft. Right now they're hundreds of hours deep on draft prep and a coach isn't really going to come in and make any major impacts. Sure, they'll know a few guys, but the scope of their player expertise is fairly limited to guys with which they've spent time in the locker room.

Someone like Ruff isn't going to come in and change everyone's mind on draft strategy, so it doesn't seem like a make or break situation to get the coach in ASAP, in other words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad