Speculation: Available Coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
I look at the coach coming in and being a tie-breaker. A couple of guys that are about the same, the coach is an extra set of eyes to push it one way or another. I would love to see Ruff added. I think he can do a great job with whatever type of team he has given. He has run a system with a great goalie and solid defense and gone to the SCF. He has had a run and gun team and taken them to the ECF. I would love to have Ruff back running either of my favorite teams.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Wow!!!!!

Darryl Sutter was just fired!

Back up those money trucks Foley! Start this thing with a bang. No need to wait anymore.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
The question is, would Sutter want to coach in Vegas?

Why wouldn't he? Where do you think he's gonna meet more Albertans?

In all seriousness I think Sutter would be a good coach if the Knights choose to go a certain way with their expansion drafting. I don't know when he plans on retiring but if you give him a couple of years with a roster that suits his style he may be able to ride into the sunset muttering, mumbling, sputtering and happy as a clam.

Last edited:

patricafdw

Mar 21, 2017
Göteborg
Lot of options out there.

These are now the ones that were fired mid- or post season (that haven't yet signed with anyone new):

Gallant
Capuano
Hitchcock
Therrien
Ruff
Sutter
Desjardins

I wish I had the NHL knowledge to make my own mind up on who would be the best choice but I don't know one bit what each coach represent.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I don't know if Sutter is suited for a roster that the Knights will certainly have. The Kings still have a solid roster and they declined under him.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Sutter fits perfectly imo. There has been many statements that imply Vegas is going to try and be competitive in the short term.

Give a experienced, well respected coach a shot at it for 2-3 years and if it doesn't work out, he retires.

Now if there was some hidden gem out there I would prefer that guy...I.e. some Euro or Junior coach who just hasn't gotten a shot yet, but that's unlikely.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
As a former Kings fan I'd pass on Sutter. He is inflexible and not the type of coach that McPhee is going to be looking for, where he specifically said he wants a coach who is up to date. Sutter should have been fired a couple years ago to be honest.

I expect him to retire to his farm. I think he's done.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Another name surfacing is Todd Rierden, which is interesting because I am sure McPhee is well aware of him with his Caps connections.

Primakov!

Dec 9, 2003
Yesteryear
Sutter to Vegas. If you can bet on it down there, that's a LOCK!

Why would you think that?

The interview with George McPhee does not make Darryl Sutter a good candidate at all. In fact, Sutter would be the complete opposite of what McPhee said he would be looking for in a coach.

As he noted in his remarks, he has built teams in the past that play exciting hockey and that's what he expects to have in Las Vegas. His explosive Capitals teams won five divisional titles in six years, but never were able to translate that to postseason success. They still were a lot of fun to watch and it looks like they were a bit ahead of their time as so many more teams play that attacking style now.

"I don't like that sit back style of hockey," McPhee said. "I like pressuring pucks all over the ice. I love the way Pittsburgh played this year and they won the Stanley Cup. We'll be doing the same kinds of things."

Article Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->