Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Getting my popcorn read for the inevitable stupid that's about to transpire

source.gif

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
AV had the team playing the best and most watchable 5-on-5 hockey Flyers fans have seen in a decade last season before the pause. It confirmed what I thought was possible for the Flyers to play like under AV, but it also could have been a mirage given everything that transpired after the league shut down in March 2020.

The Flyers played one period in the playoffs under AV's regular season structure and then he abandoned it because he was scared of the Habs' speed. Might have been acceptable if he didn't use the same style against a completely different opponent in the Isles.

He then goes ahead and uses some of the dumbest coach's challenges that I have ever seen... multiple times... in the playoffs. I was apoplectic when Hak used a stupid challenge in an early regular season game (the was the moment I wanted Hak fired; just a complete lack of understanding of the risk/reward of challenging a call in the dying seconds that would put you shorthanded in OT). That was the end of my thinking AV could properly coach in game; it's fireable to get that so wrong once... to do it multiple times in a single playoff series.....

So, then the Flyers come into 2021 getting outplayed and often dominated for ~20 straight games with no semblance of what made the team successful last season. What are the signs that he can ever get this back on track?

This on top of his already noticeable warts:

*Didn't watch any tape of the Flyers before coming into his first training camp.
*Giving full control of the PP to Therrien.
*Keep Lappy on staff.
*Insistence of dressing players like Stewart, Andreoff, Prosser. This isn't an era where those guys should be the 20th option, let alone the "next" option.
*Love affair with Boss Hagg.
*Treating Kev like he's the Swiss army knife franchise centre.
*Treating Provy like he's an actual #1 defenseman and making lineup decisions to accommodate him instead of reducing his workload.
*Not playing Giroux and Voracek with players that maximize their impacts. Hilariously, he keeps them together 5-on-5 where they should be separated and keeps them separated on the PP where they should be together.

I am not convinced there is a better option out there and I am sure the Flyers a somewhat averse to going with another guy without NHL experience after three straights disasters in Stevens, Berube, and Hakstol. So unless the Flyers are convinced that Julien, Gallant, Babcock, etc. are better options, then AV is here to stay until the decision makers feel otherwise. And he may get a longer rope given the chaotic nature of the last two seasons. Other franchises aren't using that as an excuse, though.

TLDR: AV's negatives outweigh his positives, so I am not comfortable with him behind the bench. I'm not sure his ego will allow him to make the changes necessary to give the team a better chance to succeed, but we're stuck with him for a while.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
AV had the team playing the best and most watchable 5-on-5 hockey Flyers fans have seen in a decade last season before the pause. It confirmed what I thought was possible for the Flyers to play like under AV, but it also could have been a mirage given everything that transpired after the league shut down in March 2020.

The Flyers played one period in the playoffs under AV's regular season structure and then he abandoned it because he was scared of the Habs' speed. Might have been acceptable if he didn't use the same style against a completely different opponent in the Isles.

He then goes ahead and uses some of the dumbest coach's challenges that I have ever seen... multiple times... in the playoffs. I was apoplectic when Hak used a stupid challenge in an early regular season game (the was the moment I wanted Hak fired; just a complete lack of understanding of the risk/reward of challenging a call in the dying seconds that would put you shorthanded in OT). That was the end of my thinking AV could properly coach in game; it's fireable to get that so wrong once... to do it multiple times in a single playoff series.....

So, then the Flyers come into 2021 getting outplayed and often dominated for ~20 straight games with no semblance of what made the team successful last season. What are the signs that he can ever get this back on track?

*Didn't watch any tape of the Flyers before coming into his first training camp.
*Keep Lappy on staff.
*Insistence of dressing players like Stewart, Andreoff, Prosser. This isn't an era where those guys should be the 20th option, let alone the "next" option.
*Treating Provy like he's an actual #1 defenseman and making lineup decisions to accommodate him instead of reducing his workload.
*Not playing Giroux and Voracek with players that maximize their impacts. Hilariously, he keeps them together 5-on-5 where they should be separated and keeps them separated on the PP where they should be together.

I am not convinced there is a better option out there and I am sure the Flyers a somewhat averse to going with another guy without NHL experience after three straights disasters in Stevens, Berube, and Hakstol. So unless the Flyers are convinced that Julien, Gallant, Babcock, etc. are better options, then AV is here to stay until the decision makers feel otherwise. And he may get a longer rope given the chaotic nature of the last two seasons. Other franchises aren't using that as an excuse, though.

TLDR: AV's negatives outweigh his positives, so I am not comfortable with him behind the bench. I'm not sure his ego will allow him to make the changes necessary to give the team a better chance to succeed, but we're stuck with him for a while.
Get the hell out of here with your well thought out and not emotional driven points. Who the hell do you think you are?

Great post.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
They were always winning in spite of him. He just got even worse in the playoffs and carried that forward.

There’s other problems with this team but he and his assistants are the biggest ones, without question.

Reactions: Larry44 and BiggE

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
AV isnt the best coach out there, but he has had success. I am not giving him a free pass on this mess of a year, but the Covid break and severely compressed schedule essentially takes away extensive practice time. This is a grin and bear it season. I also plant much of the blame on the players themselves. The roster is full of under performers. They are not necessarily bad, but just not playing well under the circumstances and brutal schedule.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I can’t bear how incredibly smug the whack-a-mole NHL vet coaches are: Babcock, Tortorella, Therrien, Vigneault, etc. Laviolette is extremely prideful as well, but at least he makes up for it with his entertaining psychopathic behavior.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013

*Keep Lappy on staff.

Agree with all but Kev, who has been more than adequate in his acquisition and Giroux and Voracek.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
AV isnt the best coach out there, but he has had success. I am not giving him a free pass on this mess of a year, but the Covid break and severely compressed schedule essentially takes away extensive practice time. This is a grin and bear it season. I also plant much of the blame on the players themselves. The roster is full of under performers. They are not necessarily bad, but just not playing well under the circumstances and brutal schedule.
Really? I'd say most of the team is either playing at or above what I expected of them.

Couturier
Giroux
Voracek
Farabee
Hayes
JVR
Laughton
NAK
Raffl
Ghost
Sanheim
Braun
Gus
Hagg
Myers
Elliott

Last edited:
Reactions: AdamParrot

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Flyers weren't the same team in the bubble, they didn't have the legs they did in the spring, JVR was the worst culprit, but it was a team problem

*Keep Lappy on staff.

I'm sure he watched tape, that was "coach speak" that everyone starts training camp with a blank slate

Therrien was a mistake.

Lappy is harmless and liked in the clubhouse, new coach wants someone as a go-between

Stewart played 160 minutes, six rookie forwards played more last year. Andreoff and Prosser are short-term options on a COVID taxi squad, because you want real prospects in LHV playing 20 minutes a night, not sitting for a month.

Hagg is cheap, he was the #7 last year who played only b/c Ghost had to get surgery. This year he had a horrid start, but the last nine games has been solid. Gus has played 18 games, Hagg 20 out of 25. If Gus wasn't so godawful until he was benched, he'd be ahead of Hagg. Obviously, they didn't like Friedman.

Kev has some limitations, but he's been a solid 2C (15 ES points in 24 games), he's one of the best PK forwards and he's solid on PP). Why wouldn't you use him as a swiss army knife?

Provorov should be off the PP (see Therrien), but his real problem is finding a RHD, the chemistry with Ghost is long gone, and no one else seems a good fit.

G & Voracek aren't bad together, and Laughton is a good complement to their skill package. It's temporary, I think AV is waiting for Patrick to regain his mojo before moving G back to LW, and maybe Laughton to 4C.

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
So AV is getting out of the roster what is expected....or above....except from a few.
Nope. That list is based strictly on their individual quality of play - like their decision making, passing, skating, etc - relative to what I expect from them.

Nothing that AV or the staff has any control over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad