SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
BdqXR2nIEAAlYx-.jpg

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Kimmo however is friendly and gracious at the STH events where he signs, smiles and chats with fans.

I guess some players just don't like to make the extra bread off the fans by spending a couple hours signing... and also, in some cases, make people rich by their selling off his signature... I have some of his signatures from the Organization's events, so I have no need for others. Love they guy and will sorely miss him when he's gone... but not as much as the team will when they need his replacement(s) to fill his mighty shoes.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
It's common practice for athletes to sign when they're younger and as they "grow up" they don't do it as much, if at all. Most players just will start doing private signings where their is no interaction with the fans.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Going to the Giroux signing tonight. Getting my jersey signed by him. Getting a shadow box for it as well. Hopefully this is the start of a great collection.

Also have a Ron Hextall signed stick from when he gave a up a terrible goal in a practice. He broke his stick and came over to me and my mother(I was like 8 or 9 at the time) and handed to her over the glass. Good guy Hexy.

Graig Mctavish can go suck a large one, I remember we were waiting in the lot after the practice and we asked him for it as we were walking back to the car. He just kept walking and didn't even acknowledge us. My mother asked and again and he gave a slight turn around and kept walking. She proceeded to give him a little taste of her philly spirit.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
It's common practice for athletes to sign when they're younger and as they "grow up" they don't do it as much, if at all. Most players just will start doing private signings where their is no interaction with the fans.

Then there are those who get a fortune and supplement their income charging insane fees per autograph... Wasn't there a big deal about Pete Rose with that?

I think I remember hearing about players who will only sign for money -- I imagine though that they would have to participate in Organizational activities calling for them to meet and sign for the fans... or participating charities -- and there are some who just hate it and you can tell as they ignore you... like the player at a Flyers STH Meet and Greet who talked to the worker beside him who was helping/protecting him and totally ignore me, not even catching my eye with his ((CoughJEFFCARTERCough)) and the I moved on to the player beside him, Danny Briere, who always focuses on you 100%, keeps full eye contact while it's you turn, and gives a sincere smile... and signs the autograph slowly and legibly and adds a little personal phrase on it to you... One player does what he HAS to do for the Organization and his sweet contract, while the other does what he feels he should do for the fans who are the only reason he makes the megabucks, and seems to fully appreciate them.

Then there are cases such as I encountered in a sports memorabilia store down the street from the MLB Hof in Cooperstown where Clete Boyer was there to sign and there was a short line and he took all the time you wanted with him and chatted about anything you wanted to talk about concerning baseball and his experiences with it... Reminded me of Charley Manuel... nice guy... honest and sociable. It was like when we talk to Bernie, Dorney or the Hound in the Atrium; down to Earth guy who understands that while he was the one with the talent, he was also beholding to the fans and not the other way around. Sadly I've found that not all pro athletes feel or act that way.

... Sorry... I got on a roll there and just went with it. LOL

hckyplayer8

Don't bang the glass
Mar 26, 2011
Grand Forks,ND
That's unfortunate. Really want to add Kimmo's sig to my collection.

Not crazy large but I have Recchi, Leclair and an unknown from a Santa Sack lol.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
That's unfortunate. Really want to add Kimmo's sig to my collection.

Not crazy large but I have Recchi, Leclair and an unknown from a Santa Sack lol.

A tip on deciphering the name of the unknown signature... this is from personal experience with pucks I got at the Fan Club Meeting of past players, and the discovery that many signature look nothing like the name of the player LOL... I figured out the players number, which is a lot easier than the name, and went to http://flyershistory.com/rosternum.htm and found all the players who wore that number... then I went to Google Images and found the players signature one at a time... and compared them to what I had signed that was unknown.

FWIW: It is unbelievable how some players signatures contain what appears to be letters that are not even in the spelling of their names. LOL

HTH Good luck

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
Anybody know if Kimmo was participating in last years carnival?

Yeah he was.

Funny story, my buddy saw that Kimmo was wearing a walking boot at the carnival last year. He asked him what was wrong and, of course, Kimmo said he was fine. But while he was waiting for his picture to print, he ran into Kimmo's wife who told him that he blocked shot a couple of games ago and broke his foot.

Now, I thought he was just screwing with me when he told me this, but a month or so later, Kimmo got shut down because of....a broken foot!

So if you anyone is an aspiring journalist, don't bother getting your info from Homer, just ask Kimmo's wife.

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
I remember someone saying that after last year's carnival here on this forum. Must have been you.

I did catch Timmo two Carnival's back. I got two things signed by him.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
I remember someone saying that after last year's carnival here on this forum. Must have been you.

I did catch Timmo two Carnival's back. I got two things signed by him.

That was my buddy :laugh: I think he goes by pughater on here.

EDIT: And there he is :laugh:

Last edited:

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
Yea, I am just watching the weather (for the carnival). Might have some snow. I hate flying in with that kinda weather. Hopefully no flights are delayed.

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
I got a jersey and a photo signed last time. This time, I want to get an unopened Giroux figure signed on the outside of the package (on the label on the front). And, I have a canvas square that looks like a jersey with the logo. Want his signature on that.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Had a friend at the game tonight in Nashville and he managed to get this signed for me. Another thing to add to my set up when I get the gamer, along with the stick I already have.

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
Cool. Only one I missed at the carnival that I should have gotten was Raffl. I will have to try and catch him next year...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00