Austria: Austrian Prospects

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
austrianposttermrankings2019-20.png

2019-20 End of the Season Prospect Tier Rankings

Here's my most recent Austrian hockey prospect rankings.

This year is pretty exciting because a couple good friends of mine are hoping to get drafted. We'll see. The U20 WJC was completely unexpected but it was kinda the culmination of years of highs and lows, and many different types of tears. Now the draft to look forward to, it's very exciting.

The Breakdowns for the Austrian 2020 Draft Prospects are Below
Senna Peeters
A candidate for the 2020 NHL Draft, Peeters played once for the Austria U16 team back in early 2018 and then not again for almost two years. The news of Peeters’ eligibility for the U20 WJC felt like a huge turning point for Austrian hockey even before the tournament. Like the cavalry arriving to aid wearied warriors appearing on the hilltops at the break of dawn. Peeters is still a relatively raw player. More explosiveness would grant him more separation from defensemen, more strength would improve his ability to win battles or protect the puck, and his defensive skills are still a work in progress. That said, if you put him in front of the net, he will score you goals. Relentlessly, in fact. He’s also a very good passer and can deke and dangle as well as anyone else in the system. He’s a long way from reaching his full potential, and being picked at the NHL draft this summer would be a fantastic start to that process.
Benjamin Baumgartner
The hero of the U20 WJC. Draft boards say there’s a possibility that he gets picked in the NHL draft, and I desperately hope that is in fact what happens. He’s fast, he strong for his size, a fantastic play-maker, always seems to find a way to be around the puck. For years he has been a consistent staple for the Junior National Teams. Even for mid-season friendlies when teams would consist largely of names that even people knowledgeable about Austrian hockey would scratch their heads at, Baumgartner would reliably be present. He’s always been there, and in ways, he’s always been the heart and soul of the Austrian Junior National Teams. His success at the Pro level in Switzerland has put him on some radars, he is a candidate for many young player of the year awards. And he deserves everything he’s earned at this point and more.
Thimo Nickl
Austria’s breakout star for the Drummondville Voltigeurs, Nickl is a defenseman with a large frame and imposing body who can play defensively and mix in offense as well. He has a cannon of a shot, and he figured out a while back that, when in doubt, putting the puck on net was never a bad option. He is a good skater and will continue to improve in that department. His stickhandling is solid, and he has some playmaking ability. His agility has also improved over the years, and this has helped him both offensively and defensively. Nickl played a large role in the Austrian U20 team’s promotion to the Elite WJC in 2020-21, where he will be eligible. He is projected to go in the early-middle rounds of the 2020 NHL draft, which is extremely exciting for Austria, and entirely deserved on his part.
Marco Rossi
You really can’t say enough about Rossi. 120 points in 56 games speaks for itself. He has incredibly decision making with the puck, is built like a tank, and moves play with his ability to get to the puck, stay on the puck, and then get the puck to a secure location. He is slated to be the highest drafted Austrian since Thomas Vanek some 17 years ago. He did not attend the WJC D1A this season in order to focus on maximizing his draft potential in the 2020 draft. However, he will be eligible to play with the U20 team next season in the Elite WJC. After thoroughly dominating the Canadian Junior leagues for two years, he will likely be returning to Europe for his next season if he is does not make the NHL straight out of his draft year.

Also, Leon Wallner made the Central Scouting Midterm List. He is a longshot, but his description below.
Leon Wallner
More than anything else, Wallner is a really smart player. Also a very skinny player who ironically enjoys playing in front of the net as much as anywhere else on the ice. He’s a good skater, a good passer, and has deft touch. Some players inexplicably always find ways to constantly be on the puck. What they do with this can be good or bad. Aside from his obvious need to put on muscle weight, Wallner’s biggest problem is that he feels like he is rarely around the puck. His ability to hound the puck, harass opposing defensemen, and set the pace of the game needs to improve. His play with the puck or in scoring situations is more than adequate. Presumably, his ability to pressure should increase with work on weight training, power skating, and time in the film room. And he is young, he has plenty of time to improve. This would be the next step.

Last edited:

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
austrianposttermrankings2019-20.png

2019-20 End of the Season Prospect Tier Rankings

Here's my most recent Austrian hockey prospect rankings.

This year is pretty exciting because a couple good friends of mine are hoping to get drafted. We'll see. The U20 WJC was completely unexpected but it was kinda the culmination of years of highs and lows, and many different types of tears. Now the draft to look forward to, it's very exciting.
Excellent post.

singlesliceofcheese

May 9, 2018
Great post! I definitely learned a thing or two.

I really think the fact that four Austrians may be drafted this year is a testament to how far their pro and semi-pro leagues have come in developing talent. I'm hoping Austria can have a breakthrough like Switzerland has recently. Speaking more to the future, I think Marco Kasper is a special player. I like his skating ability from what I've seen (which is pretty limited). He'll be playing in Sweden's J18 league next year, so that'll definitely help his stock. I'd also keep an eye on Moritz Lackner who played in Sweden last year.

Reactions: kabidjan18

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
I really think the fact that four Austrians may be drafted this year is a testament to how far their pro and semi-pro leagues have come in developing talent. I'm hoping Austria can have a breakthrough like Switzerland has recently.

While it seems they are doing some good work developing young players in places like Klagenfurt, Salzburg and perhaps Vienna, I think there are far too few rinks and far too few children playing hockey for Austria to blossom like Switzerland. Still, Hannes Biedermann (who does statistics and monitoring for the Klagenfurt club) is convinced that Austria is only beginning to enter a phase with a much stronger crop of youngsters than before, mainly due to the improved development work of the last 5+ years.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
As much as I honestly wish that there was some sea change coming, I don't really see it.

2000 and 2001 were two really strong years. And then 2002 was supposed to be an off year and it turned into a strong year because of Senna. And then 2003-2004 are supposed to be the next 2 strong years. However, 03 looks a bit weak. 04 at this point is an unknown quality outside of Marco Kasper.

Even the group that just passed through right now is a bit weird. Critics outside of Austria you could understand, but even the Austrian media and hockey community in my opinion labeled most of those guys as lost causes. And understandably, because they did fail to achieve anything significant for years. But the system was also very brutal to them. And many of them saw the end of the road at some point over the years. These are about to be many of my personal unofficial opinions haha, so take them with a grain of salt.

Salzburg as a program has a lot of problems. Petersson as the U18 coach is fine. Levijoki is a lackluster farmteam coach. The players under him don't improve even slightly under his guidance. He's so results oriented as opposed to development oriented, they spend the vast majority of time on team concepts and strategies rather than career development. And his strategies are outmoded so they lose games. Every single player who played up this year in the EBEL team said (and I definitely noticed it, it's certainly the case that) they improved more in a few weeks with Coach McIlvane than in many cases 2-3 years with Teemu. The U18AKA program is well structured but there are just no talented Austrian kids in that program right now. There are only like five to begin with. We'll see about the 04-05 class, they don't look bad, but 02-03 has been very disappointing. If you have kids, definitely send them to the U18AKA program at Salzburg, but get them out before the farmteam.

Or better yet, just send them to KAC, their program is way better. I have a lot of Salzburg pride, but KAC's program is better. Pete Kasper is like the invisible hand moving inside Austrian hockey. If anyone is to blame for the revival of Austrian hockey almost single-handedly, it's probably him. He has a macro-strategy for Austrian hockey. In the public eye, his only role is to put out the occasional article on how to change the points rule so that people can ridicule him. And his ideas are probably a bit far-fetched, and I think he knows that, but people are allowed to dream. He's really overseen this large KAC project though, that I think is turning out to be a success. I say that, despite having relationships with many KAC people, I'm not as well-versed on the internal things in KAC so there could be problems I'm completely ignorant of. But from the outside, it looks like they're doing a very good job with their far more limited resources.

Vienna and Linz are a long way from a good place. I know some players at both, I know some staff members, and I believe in them, but their project is a long way from fruition. If you tell anyone in mainstream Austrian hockey that a player from Vienna or Linz could be good, they will still laugh at you, and probably rightfully so. If they follow the KAC development track theoretically they could start producing good talents in 2-3 years. But there's a lot of politics going on now, and most people are better able to understand that situation than myself.

The Swiss track is harder to follow now for a few reasons, new import rules have made it less accessible, and also what I'd maybe describe as less activity on that front. Less recruitment.

I think/hope we're probably out of the quagmire that we found ourselves in the 93-95 classes especially, but speaking even broader the 91-99 classes, where talent was either completely absent or there was just one really good kid. But even getting to a place like where Latvia, or Belarus, or Germany are would be a step.

I really have the utmost respect for the WJC D1A champions this year, because I didn't really feel like the system really made them, but rather that they were a bunch of really brave kids who just never gave up even though they were convinced they would fail, everyone else was convinced they would fail, and they were rightly convinced that no one knew or cared about them. It's not an exaggeration to say that (at least for the core group), each of their stories could have been its own article. Now that they've succeeded, some people might rush in to claim some responsibility for their success. To that, I only refer to a tweet from Hannes Biedermann.

Now that KAC is established and consistently producing talent, I do think there is some merit to the idea that things are on the right trajectory but it's still a long way from the 4-5 hubs we'd need minimally to produce prospects consistently. For instance, there will probably be 0 Austrians picked in the CHL draft this year. That is the expectation. And so, there probably will be no Austrians picked in the NHL draft next year. So I'm excited, but cautiously so. The first objective needs to be the current generation reaching its potential, after that is ideal but still somewhat unknown.

Also, I've seen and spoken to Lackner. He is on my radar.

Reactions: wingerdinger

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
As much as I honestly wish that there was some sea change coming, I don't really see it.

Thanks a lot for those insights. Pretty sobering that even the second best program (Salzburg) is only meh when you give it a closer look.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Alexander Appleyard (@Appleyard) on Benjamin Baumgartner:

"In terms of skill set Baumgartner is a plus skater with great edge-work and a nice burst that means he can pull away from opponents once he gets separation. He also possesses soft hands that, combined with good vision, mean he can feather beautiful passes to danger areas and anticipate openings that not many players see. He is a play-maker first and foremost, though he has a decent shot when he uses it. Additionally, he is by no means scared to go to danger areas, even though he is a bit undersized. While diligent defensively, he does not possess instinctively high defensive zone awareness, and there is no doubt that going forward he will be a winger both in Europe and if he can reach the NHL."

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
One thing Austria hasn't had is a top flight goaltender. Divis was good but not an NHL regular.

Anything on the horizon?

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
One thing Austria hasn't had is a top flight goaltender. Divis was good but not an NHL regular.

Anything on the horizon?

I don't think so. Not even all of the EBEL/BAHEL teams afford themselves goaltender coaches. Goaltending is pretty much an afterthought throughout the Austrian program. Maybe that will change once there are several top flight skaters so that the goaltending deficit becomes more obvious.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015

Anything on the horizon?
Not really. Schmidt is ok (great guy btw), but not NHL caliber. Of the older guys, Kickert is finally rounding into form, but he's no world-beater. Stefan Muller is decent. Marvin Kortin was supposed to be good, he's turned out to be ok. Sebastian Wraneschitz might be ok. I'm not aware of many quality goalie prospects either, they don't come up in convos I have with coaches and other people on the ground, and I tend to value that more for goalie prospects.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Not really. Schmidt is ok (great guy btw), but not NHL caliber. Of the older guys, Kickert is finally rounding into form, but he's no world-beater. Stefan Muller is decent. Marvin Kortin was supposed to be good, he's turned out to be ok. Sebastian Wraneschitz might be ok. I'm not aware of many quality goalie prospects either, they don't come up in convos I have with coaches and other people on the ground, and I tend to value that more for goalie prospects.
Anyone in the EBEL from another country that is considering playing for Austria?

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Anyone in the EBEL from another country that is considering playing for Austria?

Last year, the following foreign goalies played for Austrian EBEL clubs:

8th year in Austria:
JP Lamoureux (turning 36, Canada/Salzburg) – non-EU citizens have to be in the country for ten years if they want to become Austrian citizens

3rd year in Austria:
Rasmus Rinne (turning 30, Finland/Dornbirn) – EU citizens have to be in the country for five years if they want to become Austrian citizens

2nd year in Austria:
Lars Haugen (Norway/Klagenfurt) – is not going to return

1st year in Austria:
Juha Järvenpää (Finland/Dornbirn)
Ryan Zapolksi (USA/Vienna)
Jeff Glass (Canada/Linz)
CJ Motte (USA/Innsbruck) – left for Coventry Blaze (EIHL) halfway through the season
Scott Darling (Canada/Innsbruck) – is not going to return
Christopher Nihlstorp (Sweden/Graz) – is not going to return
Brandon Maxwell (USA/Villach) – is not going to return

So no, there is no-one in sight.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Thanks Guys...so they best get to developing their own. Schmidt was their number 1 at the last Junior tourney.

singlesliceofcheese

May 9, 2018
While it seems they are doing some good work developing young players in places like Klagenfurt, Salzburg and perhaps Vienna, I think there are far too few rinks and far too few children playing hockey for Austria to blossom like Switzerland. Still, Hannes Biedermann (who does statistics and monitoring for the Klagenfurt club) is convinced that Austria is only beginning to enter a phase with a much stronger crop of youngsters than before, mainly due to the improved development work of the last 5+ years.
Your point on the sparsity of rinks is true and it's also a worthwhile to point to include, as Switzerland has ~80 more rinks than Austria (Ice hockey rinks in the world | Statista). Still, Switzerland's junior program has been lagging a bit compared to several years ago, whilst the Austrian program is improving gradually, so it may not be impossible-- hell, it would still be noteworthy if they even come somewhat close to what the Swiss have done recently. I'm hoping if some of these players do well in the NHL (Rossi should at least), then hopefully more people will invest in the infrastructure within the country.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Your point on the sparsity of rinks is true and it's also a worthwhile to point to include, as Switzerland has ~80 more rinks than Austria (Ice hockey rinks in the world | Statista).

Right. If you factor in population and area, you get the following numbers:

Switzerland:1 rink per 54k inhabitants1 rink per 527 square km
Austria:1 rink per 115k inhabitants1 rink per 1,089 square km
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY]

[/TBODY]
Popularity of the game: Here are some attendance numbers from 2018-2019.

Average of the domestic club with...

...the 5th highest home attendance in the country:
Switzerland: 6,356
Austria: 2,590

...the 9th highest attendance:
Switzerland: 6,077
Austria: 1,467

...the 13th highest attendance:
Switzerland: 4,432
Austria: 659

The Swiss club with the 17th highest attendance in the country still ranks above the #8 club in Austria.

Still, Switzerland's junior program has been lagging a bit compared to several years ago, whilst the Austrian program is improving gradually, so it may not be impossible-- hell, it would still be noteworthy if they even come somewhat close to what the Swiss have done recently. I'm hoping if some of these players do well in the NHL (Rossi should at least), then hopefully more people will invest in the infrastructure within the country.

I don't think that e.g. Thomas Vanek's success has had any tangible effect of that kind, but it's true that improved programs are in place at Klagenfurt and Salzburg, as mentioned earlier here, so we'll see.

singlesliceofcheese

May 9, 2018
Right. If you factor in population and area, you get the following numbers:

Switzerland:1 rink per 54k inhabitants1 rink per 527 square km
Austria:1 rink per 115k inhabitants1 rink per 1,089 square km
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Popularity of the game: Here are some attendance numbers from 2018-2019.

Average of the domestic club with...

...the 5th highest home attendance in the country:
Switzerland: 6,356
Austria: 2,590

...the 9th highest attendance:
Switzerland: 6,077
Austria: 1,467

...the 13th highest attendance:
Switzerland: 4,432
Austria: 659

The Swiss club with the 17th highest attendance in the country still ranks above the #8 club in Austria.

I don't think that e.g. Thomas Vanek's success has had any tangible effect of that kind, but it's true that improved programs are in place at Klagenfurt and Salzburg, as mentioned earlier here, so we'll see.

Yeah, hockey in Switzerland is definitely more popular. Their league has had some amazing success at marketing the game. To regard Vanek, this is probably true. However, Vanek has never really been an elite player. He had a few good seasons, but still. I'm pretty high on Rossi and if he has a better career in the long run, I won't be surprised. We'll see if Rossi turns into anything special and what effect it'll have on Austria's interest level.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Yeah, hockey in Switzerland is definitely more popular. Their league has had some amazing success at marketing the game. To regard Vanek, this is probably true. However, Vanek has never really been an elite player. He had a few good seasons, but still. I'm pretty high on Rossi and if he has a better career in the long run, I won't be surprised. We'll see if Rossi turns into anything special and what effect it'll have on Austria's interest level.
I think it has a lot less to do with how successful exactly you are in the NHL, so long as you're in the NHL, and more with how much you're into giving back to the Austrian hockey scene. Thomas Vanek has given some contributions, financially to the Graz youth program I think, and he played a couple times for Austria. But he's not a huge force in the Austrian hockey scene, other players report much more often, try much harder to engage the Austrian media, etc. If Marco is very active, gives a lot of interviews to Austrian media, interacts more with the federations, returns in offseasons to work with and inspire Austrian kids, shows up to many international tournaments, etc, then even if he say scores the same or fewer points than Vanek, I think he can inspire more change than Vanek. Which is not a knock on Vanek. He seems to tempermentally be a more private and quiet person, enjoys time away from the hockey world and the hockey scene, and that's totally fine. But any of these kids can make a big impact if they really want to, and I think some of them are more likely to, and others are a bit more like Vanek termpermentally, and that's good as well.

Reactions: singlesliceofcheese

singlesliceofcheese

May 9, 2018
I think it has a lot less to do with how successful exactly you are in the NHL, so long as you're in the NHL, and more with how much you're into giving back to the Austrian hockey scene. Thomas Vanek has given some contributions, financially to the Graz youth program I think, and he played a couple times for Austria. But he's not a huge force in the Austrian hockey scene, other players report much more often, try much harder to engage the Austrian media, etc. If Marco is very active, gives a lot of interviews to Austrian media, interacts more with the federations, returns in offseasons to work with and inspire Austrian kids, shows up to many international tournaments, etc, then even if he say scores the same or fewer points than Vanek, I think he can inspire more change than Vanek. Which is not a knock on Vanek. He seems to tempermentally be a more private and quiet person, enjoys time away from the hockey world and the hockey scene, and that's totally fine. But any of these kids can make a big impact if they really want to, and I think some of them are more likely to, and others are a bit more like Vanek termpermentally, and that's good as well.
I think that's quite the cogent point, actually. I know it's not the same country, culturally speaking, but Mats Zuccarello has done wonders with growing the sport in Norway with his charity games and all that. Mats obviously isn't an elite level player (very solid player, mind you), so I definitely think there's merits within that claim. Still, I don't think having an Austrian player divulged more in media would hurt, though.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Devin Little on Marco Rossi:

"While a guy like Byfield has the physical gifts to impose his will on his opponents, Rossi has to rely on his hands, his feet and his brain. (...) Although Rossi scored 39 goals this season, he gets praised the most for his ability to read and create plays. 117 assists over his two seasons with the 67’s are evidence of his ability to move the puck into scoring areas. While his scoring touch could fade a bit once he reaches the NHL, his ability to make a play should not – his hockey IQ is simply too high."

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
An Austrian newspaper reports that Fabian Hochegger has signed with Klagenfurt and Fabio Thimo Nickl wants to sign with Rögle (Sweden).

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
KAC is really not the place to be right now for prospects but I suppose it's a comfort zone for him, somewhere he can safely layover.

Why? They claim they're going to start the season with just three foreign players, so there should be ice time for some of the prospects, no?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad