Austria: Austrian Prospects

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Why? They claim they're going to start the season with just three foreign players, so there should be ice time for some of the prospects, no?
Interesting. So the last import would be defense?

Most teams seem like they'll get fewer imports this year, to what extent I guess remains to be seen. But I think a rule of thumb is don't rush to where all the other young prospects are rushing, because that's just the way to get crowded out. Remains to be seen if a player like Richter resigns. But as it is, KAC is very crowded. They have Haudum, Obersteiner, With the addition of Hochegger you'd have 4 guys vying for the 9 spot, and with another import signing or Richter, you'd have 4 guys without any shot at the 9 spot before injuries. That translates to like 5-6 shifts a game and it's hard to develop or adjust to a level of play with that kind of ice time.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
An Austrian newspaper reports that Fabian Hochegger has signed with Klagenfurt and Fabio Nickl wants to sign with Rögle (Sweden).

Update: This newspaper report has been proven wrong. Now that the QJMHL has announced it will start October 1st, both players are heading back to North America.

Meanwhile Marco Rossi will train with KAC for a week.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Meanwhile Marco Rossi will train with KAC for a week.

marco-rossi-waehrend-seiner-ersten-einhe-768x512.jpg

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
After Belarus reached into the gold pot with Ivan Lodnia, I said that any players with shocking Austrian passports were free to make themselves known.

And lo and behold. KAC signs Daylon Groulx of the Ottawa 67s.
https://www.kac.at/de/news/spieler/ec-kac-nimmt-daylon-groulx-unter-vertrag
I would say defense is currently a more pressing need than forward. Groulx is physical, decent size at 6' 182, and plays with an edge but that doesn't necessarily mean he plays good defense. If he could develop into a solid bottom 6 forward for Austria, however, that would be really nice. Someone you could put out on the ice to try to kill the momentum of the opposing top lines, kill penalties, stuff like that.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
@kabidjan18

What do you expect from the Salzburg and Klagenfurt youngsters (in Austria, that would probably mean 22 and younger) in the upcoming season? Some have already played a good role last year, others who are already 21/22 seem to have been stuck in the minors/with the youth teams a little too long. Others seem to be bound to remain depth players (Witting, Pilloni).
Could this already be a make-or-break season for some of the players, considering that they are likely to get more opportunities this year? Are we going to see more players being loaned out to other Austrian ICE HL clubs?

Salzburg F:

Yannic Pilloni (22): Already played a lot last year.
Julian Klöckl (22): Very little or no EBEL action, will play for Zell am See now. No ICE HL future?
Nico Feldner (21): Already with a good role last year.
Marcel Zitz (21): Very little or no EBEL action. Has been leapfrogged by others.
Paul Huber (20): Already with a good role last year.
Maximilian Rebernig (20): Very little or no EBEL action.
Tim Harnisch (19): Very little or no EBEL action.

Salzburg D:

Paul Stapelfeldt (21): Very little or no EBEL action.
Lukas Schreier (20): Already played a lot last year.
Kilian Zündel (19): Very little or no EBEL action.

Klagenfurt F:

Daniel Obersteiner (22): Already with a good role last year.
Samuel Witting (22): Already played a lot with Salzburg last year.

Dennis Sticha (22): Very little or no EBEL action.

Klagenfurt D:

Kele Steffler (22): Very little or no EBEL action.
Niklas Würschl (21): Very little or no EBEL action.
David Maier (20): First season in Austria.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
@kabidjan18

What do you expect from the Salzburg and Klagenfurt youngsters (in Austria, that would probably mean 22 and younger) in the upcoming season? Some have already played a good role last year, others who are already 21/22 seem to have been stuck in the minors/with the youth teams a little too long. Others seem to be bound to remain depth players (Witting, Pilloni).
Could this already be a make-or-break season for some of the players, considering that they are likely to get more opportunities this year? Are we going to see more players being loaned out to other Austrian ICE HL clubs?

Salzburg F:

Yannic Pilloni (22): Already played a lot last year.
Julian Klöckl (22): Very little or no EBEL action, will play for Zell am See now. No ICE HL future?
Nico Feldner (21): Already with a good role last year.
Marcel Zitz (21): Very little or no EBEL action. Has been leapfrogged by others.
Paul Huber (20): Already with a good role last year.
Maximilian Rebernig (20): Very little or no EBEL action.
Tim Harnisch (19): Very little or no EBEL action.

Salzburg D:

Paul Stapelfeldt (21): Very little or no EBEL action.
Lukas Schreier (20): Already played a lot last year.
Kilian Zündel (19): Very little or no EBEL action.

Klagenfurt F:

Daniel Obersteiner (22): Already with a good role last year.
Samuel Witting (22): Already played a lot with Salzburg last year.

Dennis Sticha (22): Very little or no EBEL action.

Klagenfurt D:

Kele Steffler (22): Very little or no EBEL action.
Niklas Würschl (21): Very little or no EBEL action.
David Maier (20): First season in Austria.
Pille - I believe he's the 2nd unit PK? He's really good defensively. Give him enough open space he can also occasionally create some offense. I don't know that he'll ever take on a role that's not 4th line Center and PK.
Klockl - left club
Felds - he played 4th line during the pre-season. Not really ideal, he's not crazy good at battles or defending. His shot is his main weapon and he has limited ways to get to it, at this level. We might see him back down at some point with Zitz.
Zitz - is injured right now. But does have his work cut out for him as far as catching the others.
Huber - great at battles but defense is a work in progress. Big body, likes to shoot. Disruptive on the forecheck and in the cycle-Jamie Benn-esque. Line 3 in preseason, could move up depending how he develops technically/systematically.
Max - a super underrated 4th liner. Good shot blocker and not bad in battles. I'd like him on the 4th line.
Tim - he still falls over whenever people touch him. I'm not sure he's ready, yet. 4th line in the pre-season but he's not a 4th liner. Probably back down as well...
Stapi - not as good as the younger players.
Schreier - what you see is what you get. Smaller, physically weaker, very limited offensive ability. Decent defensively.
Zundel - he'll probably get more time this season. A bit more explosive than Schreier so more offensive potential. traditionally good defensively, but had some troubles getting bodied off vs. Munich.
Obersteiner - just a good player, his ceiling might be a bit limited, but he has the speed to run with the IceHL guys and enough playmaking to score some points.
Witte - really wants to slow down the game and really struggles to do so vs men. The writing was on the wall in Salzburg. Joins his brother, that is nice, not sure KAC is a better hockey destination though. He's not really a bottom 6 grinder.
Sticha - he could be more of a bottom 6 type, but still has work to do
Steffler - his defense, his skating, his shot could all be improved. I still think he has potential. He's always had the offensive potential/puck-moving ability, but he's never really be able to turn into the defensive brute + the puck-moving ability.
Wurschl - smaller frame than Steffler, and was returning from injury last year. Like Steffler I still hope he can be good as a puck-moving D, he has a big shot, but he's on the clock.
Maier - he looked amazing in the pre-season...he's a bit like Sam Girard, much more of a crafty-defenseman than an actual stay-at-home, clear the crease style defenseman. But he's got a lot of offensive skill.

If any players were to break out... Maier could literally open his career as a 25+ point defenseman in the IceHL. He is that offensively gifted. Defensively, I'd like to see him become more brutal in his own area. And Huber scored 3+1 in 4 games in the pre-season, which doesn't mean much. But he's a guy who could be slotted up the lineup and perform decently well, he has to work on puck-handling and defense though as well. I'd be between those for the ROTY equivalent award. A lot pends on development. Like can Paul Huber surpass Mario Huber offensively? Can David Maier show more offensive poise/prowess than say Unterweger? Both teams are rather skinny on legios which means they might struggle, but that might give more chances for young players. Some of the old guard is also potentially declining with age. We'll see.

And then Daylon Groulx of course. With a bit of defensive development I see him becoming a really solid 4th liner for KAC this year. He's much more of a bruiser than anyone they have in system right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: HungryFrank

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010

Thanks a lot! So the eyes should very much be on David Maier. With Paul Huber, I think the eyes are already on him after last season.

Anyone else on your radar? Jannik Fröwis (20) is probably bound to play a lot again with Dornbirn. Martin Urbanek (18) should get a shot under the new Villach coach. In Linz, Niklas Bretschneider (20) is something of an unknown after three years in North America.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Thanks a lot! So the eyes should very much be on David Maier. With Paul Huber, I think the eyes are already on him after last season.

Anyone else on your radar? Jannik Fröwis (20) is probably bound to play a lot again with Dornbirn. Martin Urbanek (18) should get a shot under the new Villach coach. In Linz, Niklas Bretschneider (20) is something of an unknown after three years in North America.
Hmmm...Haudum is not new at all but maybe he could rebound because he was dealing with some injuries last season and he's also gotten bigger.

Frowis is a long term project. I'm not high on Urbanek...but that is just my opinion. I suppose we have to watch Lanze too though. He's stuck in a backlog of players, but the solution to that is just to be better than the other players...

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
I suppose we have to watch Lanze too though. He's stuck in a backlog of players, but the solution to that is just to be better than the other players...

Lanzinger just left the Graz vs Villach preseason game while bleeding from his nose after a check into the board. Hopefully no concussion.

Update: He has played in the first two regular season games, so he's fine.

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010

Nickl (*2001) was training with KAC in Klagenfurt and the team was hoping he would join them, but he seems to prefer Rögle BK (SHL) where another prospect from Klagenfurt is already playing: Marco Kasper (*2004).

Edit: But it was reported that the QMJHL wants to start in October, right? So either the Nickl to Rögle report is a hoax or they expect the October date will not hold.

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Thimo Nickl

Matthew Zator:
"Nickl’s biggest asset is his passing as he’s got great strength and accuracy on every type of pass imaginable. His skating and two-way game are also very impressive and he’s got a powerful point shot that generates rebounds more often than not."

Josh Tessler:
"In terms of his playing style, Nickl is a strong passer. His cross-ice, stretch, and bounces passes always seem to be accurate. His shot selection is quite sound and often times will generate quality rebounds on the power play. In the defensive zone, Nickl can be physical at times and will look to make smart backchecks along the half wall."

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Former Atlanta Thrashers scout Bernd Freimüller on Benjamin Baumgartner and Senna Peeters (source mostly in German, translated by me):

Baumgartner (*2000)

Summer 2016 (tournament in Salzburg):
"Excellent puck-handler, capable of carrying the puck into the offensive zone and distribute it there. Dynamic, mobile and agile, his foot work allows him to get away from opponents in traffic."

December 2017 (Division I World Junior Championship):
"Explosive, is flying with and without the puck."

April 2018 (Division I World U18 Championship):
"Hands, feet and vision are excellent. More of a set-up guy than a finisher, should shoot more often. Makes players around him better."

December 2018 (Division I World Junior Championship):
Hampered by face injury, not a good performance.

December 2019 (Division I World Junior Championship):
"One of top pure skaters here with excellent edge work. Shakes off opponents along the boards and plays great passes from there. Excellent motor, catches your attention with every shift and creates scoring chances in narrow spaces. Top player in the tournament, already has impact in senior league."

Peeters (*2002)

February 2018 (U16 four nations tournament, Salzburg):
"Great foot work and precise passes. Capable of shooting from the wing at high speed."

December 2019 (Division I World Junior Championship):
"Both goal-scorer and set-up man. Not big, but goes to the net to score on rebounds, deflections or loose pucks. Quick hands, can create something out of nothing. Really quick reactions around the net. Precise passes and good dekes. Is never going to be a big defensive player, but toes the line. Needs more stamina and strength for puck support. Has scoring upside – the question is: for the NHL or lower leagues?"

Reactions: kabidjan18

Luceni

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2006
Austria
Senna Peter's wasn't drafted. Any chance that he could be signed as UFA for a NHL-team? I'm really high on him.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Senna Peter's wasn't drafted. Any chance that he could be signed as UFA for a NHL-team? I'm really high on him.
He still has two more years of draft eligibility. He will have his chances to get taken next year, I mean he'll play in Sweden, in NA, and at the WJC, in the upcoming year, so he will have many chances to be seen. 03 is a bad class for Austria, barring some unforeseen change. There's Finn Van Ee, Christoph Tialler, Max Thierich, and Lukas Necesany. All have their faults, but we will see conclusively in the WJC how they've developed since. And if they make a strong impression, they have a shot.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Fabian Hochegger loaned to KAC, but supposedly for the farm team in the Alps Hockey League.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Marco Rossi has signed his Entry Level Contract with Minnesota and is expected to be loaned to Zürich until the NHL season starts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->