Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
First round for Canadians:

Pospisil vs Karlovic
Auger-Aliassime vs Qualifier
Shapovalov vs Fucsovics
Raonic vs Albot

Bouchard into the final round of qualifying.

Reactions: discostu

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
First round for Canadians:

Pospisil vs Karlovic
Auger-Aliassime vs Qualifier
Shapovalov vs Fucsovics
Raonic vs Albot

Bouchard into the final round of qualifying.

Some good matchups. Both Raonic and Pospisil avoid a seeded player. Felix getting a qualifier gives him an easier start to the tournament and hopefully helps get his confidence up.

Good on Genie. She seems to be doing well after a horrible 2019.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Some good matchups. Both Raonic and Pospisil avoid a seeded player. Felix getting a qualifier gives him an easier start to the tournament and hopefully helps get his confidence up.

Good on Genie. She seems to be doing well after a horrible 2019.

Raonic actually got in as the #32 seed thanks to withdrawals. Not that I expect much from him but that helps him.

Felix is having a good week in Adelaide and got a nice potential R2 draw as well. Could face Vasek in R3 but that could also be Monfils.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Raonic actually got in as the #32 seed thanks to withdrawals. Not that I expect much from him but that helps him.

Felix is having a good week in Adelaide and got a nice potential R2 draw as well. Could face Vasek in R3 but that could also be Monfils.

Yeah, I saws Monfils on the schedule for Pospisil. That'll be a tricky one if he gets there.

Good for Raonic to get a seed. The stat I heard is that it would have been the first grand slam he would have played in unseeded since 2011.

He's usually pretty consistent in slams, and I expect him to go a couple of rounds at least.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Yeah, I saws Monfils on the schedule for Pospisil. That'll be a tricky one if he gets there.

Good for Raonic to get a seed. The stat I heard is that it would have been the first grand slam he would have played in unseeded since 2011.

He's usually pretty consistent in slams, and I expect him to go a couple of rounds at least.

Basically first ever in the main draw. He was in the qualifying draw of USO 2010 and AO 2011 then was already seeded 26th for the FO. Hard to believe it's been 4 years since he last won a title. In fact alst year was the first time since 2010 that he did not reach at least one final, and he only played in 4 tournaments in 2010.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
- Venus Williams vs. Coco Gauff. Wimbledon rematch.
- Speaking of Coco Gauff, there's potential USOpen rematch with Osaka in the 3rd round as well

Reactions: kihei

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Fernandez gets the win! She was down 1-4 in thr first but won the next 5 games. She is into the final qualifying round.

Diez goes down in the second round.

Schnur and Bouchard play later.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Selfishly, I really don't want the tournament postponed because I live for the slams and the AO is usually a blast being the first tournament of the year and all but this seems like a really bad idea considering the air quality down there.

At some point, the well being of the players and fans has to take precedence over the almighty dollar.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Bouchard loses in typical Bouchard fashion. She showed flashes of skill in the first set but also committed way too many errors and was anything but clutch in the deciding game when she was broken for the set. Then she quickly went down love-5 in the second set before mounting a semi-comeback that ran aground at 6-3. Sort of her career in a nutshell.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Yup, just the teenager left in qualifying for the Canadians.

Fernandez is looking for her first senior GS appearance. She lost in the junior finals at the AO last year (but won the French Open junior title).

Another rising star in Canadian tennis :)

Reactions: MsMeow

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Nice to see Felix play well in Adelaide before the AO, was a bit worried about his form coming in but he looked better. Denis played a horrible match against Humbert but I think overall he should still feel real good about his game.

Wish Milos could stay healthy, when his serving is on he can still beat basically everyone except the big 3, but he hasn't been healthy in years now.

Should be a fun AO! I'm hoping for Fed or a non big 3 member to win, but if I had to wager it would be hard not to bet on Nole who looks to be the clear favourite.

Reactions: Tuggy

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Bouchard loses in typical Bouchard fashion. She showed flashes of skill in the first set but also committed way too many errors and was anything but clutch in the deciding game when she was broken for the set. Then she quickly went down love-5 in the second set before mounting a semi-comeback that ran aground at 6-3. Sort of her career in a nutshell.

I get it that she's Canadian, a looker and a media darling, but the Bouchard ship has sailed. She's a has been, and now with Andreescu completely overtaking her, time to put an end to ramming Bouchard down our throats as if she's ever going to come close to winning a major ever again.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I get it that she's Canadian, a looker and a media darling, but the Bouchard ship has sailed. She's a has been, and now with Andreescu completely overtaking her, time to put an end to ramming Bouchard down our throats as if she's ever going to come close to winning a major ever again.

I'm not her biggest fan or anything, but I think she's come into this year ready to compete, and seems more focused. Yes, Bianca is clearly the Canadian to watch in the WTA, but, I'm still hoping she can find some return to form.

Similar to the the men's side, it's nice having multiple Canadians doing well on tour. When one is slumping, another may be peaking and going deep in tournaments. Fernandez looks to be another that people will be able to follow.

Reactions: Tuggy

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005

Well as a woman who doesn't care what she looks like, I still want to hear how she and all the other Canadians are doing. I don't think anyone is shoving her down our throats, we're a bunch of fans who talk about tennis. That's it.

Reactions: Tuggy and kihei

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Looks like Rafa has a far tougher draw than usual--potentially Krygios, Thiem, Medvedev, Nole. That's a tall order.

Reactions: discostu and Tuggy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad