Auston Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finn16

Feb 15, 2018
IF IT WAS YOU, and you had 2 shoulder injuries in the year before you had a chance at an $80M contract, wouldn't you be more cautious / hesitant?

No explanation is necessary. Just a simple Yes or No, please.

Your changing what you have been saying...Matthews being more cautious/hesitant makes sense. You have suggested that he should refuse to take any contact and essentially play with "bubble wrap on". You also said 99% people would do the same...

That is NOT the same thing as playing cautious.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Your changing what you have been saying...Matthews being more cautious/hesitant makes sense. You have suggested that he should refuse to take any contact and essentially play with "bubble wrap on". You also said 99% people would do the same...

That is NOT the same thing as playing cautious.
I didn't say he should refuse to take a contract. :huh: I think he should sign and get on with his career.

What I said, or at least what I meant to say was :

"99% of people who were on the verge of signing a BIG contract, especially if they had injury issues, would do everything they can to avoid injury and ruin their chance of a big payday - even if it hurt their production."

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Racing down the left side and then going high glove is his bread and butter, and it has served him well. However, teams have picked up on it.

He has also been unable to hang out in front of the net. Early in the season, he was always there. Now... he floats around the perimeter of the net, hoping a puck will spill out.

Me thinks the hit by Trouba, when Matthews actually drove hard to the net, really shook him up / scared him. It wasn't much of a hit, yet it cost him a month. Maybe he's worried about his ability to stay healthy.

A player like Matthews can't be scared or forced to the perimeter if his bread and butter is scoring and not perimeter playmaking. This is just a slump, so I'm not going to full on panic, but to give an example, a scared, perimeter playing Eric Lindros was basically nothing compared to what he was in his prime. Matthews is no Lindros, but he can't be soft.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
ScorScorScorGoalGoalGoalGoalPerPerPerPerPoinAdjuAdjuAdju
PlayerGPGAPTS+/-EVPPSHGWSS%GAPTSSPSGAPTS
Jack Eichel25489140229-4664250159159.70.350.550.903.6025.0111180291
Patrik Laine203105631686654001661117.20.520.310.833.0122.813374207
Auston Matthews178948017427742001757216.40.530.450.983.2123.7118103221
Connor McDavid25711621232848961822578714.70.450.821.283.0640.3148262410

[thead] [/thead]

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
We may actually have that situation.

Like I said many times...

If it was me, I'd encase myself in bubble wrap.
If you'd play hard and risk the big contract, you're a better person than me.

Yeah, but by playing bad, you're also risking the big contract, aren't you?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Like I said, if it was you, wouldn't you also be afraid to lose a big contract? I would.

In all honesty I've never had $100 million in front of me, so I can't answer your question.

I do know that I'm unusually competitive at sports, I hate to lose/get beat. I've sprained an ankle, pulled my chest muscles on both sides, broke four fingers in one game, numerous minor strains/sprains, pulled my hammy, hyper-extended my elbow and knee, had my nose broken multiple times, lost a tooth, multiple black eyes on multiple occasions, split my head open just above my eyelid, split the back of my head open on the ice, multiple concussions, had my big toenail ripped off, bruises / bone bruises were very common, took a baseball bat to the side of my head, took a baseball bat to my shin, been beaned (baseball) so many times I can't count them, had my hands, feet, legs, ears raked by cleats, heat exhaustion, dehydration (hospitalized for a few hours the last two). I'm sure there are more that I don't remember and that was all for the love of competition and I still love to compete, even after all that abuse. If you are a competitor, it's hard not to compete at an all out level. I personally feel like I'm being shady if I sandbag my effort, I might have a different opinion if I had $100 mil on the line.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
In all honesty I've never had $100 million in front of me, so I can't answer your question.
...I might have a different opinion if I had $100 mil on the line.
It's like that one comedian said (I can't remember his name) :

"For a million dollars, I'd suck Mike Tyson's <bleep> in front of my parents. How bad could it be?"

Imagine 80 times that million dollars. A LOT of money, indeed.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Yeah, but by playing bad, you're also risking the big contract, aren't you?
Yes, but by how much?

If you play like a slug for the remainder of the season, you'd still get $8M/yr minimum - just based on Matthews' pedigree and past accomplishments.

If you ruin your shoulder, you could lose it all.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
After being injured twice this season, Matthews probably feels vulnerable. That vulnerability is making him cautious. It would make me cautious.

Plus, I guarantee his agent and parents are in his ear - reminding him how much he has to lose.

You do know that insurance is available if they are that concerned with injury.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I see Marner bringing it nightly and his payday is on the same date as Matthews.

Reactions: al secord

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I don't know what to say. Again, I would just avoid injury until I signed, but that's just me.
What an absolute nonsense argument you've been making in this thread. I mean really, it's just batshit.

I'm sorry, but if this was really about "paying off his poor mom's debt", he likely could have signed for 10x8 last year and insured it. He could probably do it right now! That's not enough? And in regards to his old man getting hurt before his big payday, doesn't the same thing apply?

Instead, he's going to coast through the season and just not care? You really think that makes Matthews look better? You really think that's a smart play for him?

It's just nuts.

It's too much.

Reactions: Finn16

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
What an absolute nonsense argument you've been making in this thread. I mean really, it's just bat****.

I'm sorry, but if this was really about "paying off his poor mom's debt", he likely could have signed for 10x8 last year and insured it. He could probably do it right now! That's not enough? And in regards to his old man getting hurt before his big payday, doesn't the same thing apply?

Instead, he's going to coast through the season and just not care? You really think that makes Matthews look better? You really think that's a smart play for him?

It's just nuts.

It's too much.
Fair enough. I don't want to argue anymore so... :)

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I see Marner bringing it nightly and his payday is on the same date as Matthews.

It's also kind of funny now that Matthews is semi lobbying or discussing the possibility of playing with Marner, like Marner's turned into the franchise player Matthews is supposed to be. It's like a St Louis vs Lecavalier situation where the little guy consistently surpasses the big glamorous centerman. Anyway, good for Marner, but to truly get going as a contender we need these guys to be one upping each other all the time.

Reactions: Erdinger

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Yes, but by how much?

If you play like a slug for the remainder of the season, you'd still get $8M/yr minimum - just based on Matthews' pedigree and past accomplishments.

If you ruin your shoulder, you could lose it all.

No you wouldn't. You think if Matthews is scoring 1.3-1.5PPG and has another injury, that teams won't give him 11M+ per season?

Playing well will net more money, regardless of injuries, especially at this point in his career. Crosby was injured in his contract year coming off an ELC, that didn't stop him.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
It's also kind of funny now that Matthews is semi lobbying or discussing the possibility of playing with Marner, like Marner's turned into the franchise player Matthews is supposed to be. It's like a St Louis vs Lecavalier situation where the little guy consistently surpasses the big glamorous centerman. Anyway, good for Marner, but to truly get going as a contender we need these guys to be one upping each other all the time.

If that is the case, I sure don't like the thought that a guy who is supposed to be a line driver is looking for someone else to drive Matthews line. #someoneelse Confidence might be lacking a bit or maybe he played like s#!t to force Babcock to put Marner on his line. #selfish?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I didn't say he should refuse to take a contract. :huh: I think he should sign and get on with his career.

What I said, or at least what I meant to say was :

"99% of people who were on the verge of signing a BIG contract, especially if they had injury issues, would do everything they can to avoid injury and ruin their chance of a big payday - even if it hurt their production."

Yeah I don't think its a bad theory but if it's true it does not say a lot about Matthews integrity. Consider Leaf favorites like Salming, Clark, Gilmour ... not a me first type of players. It's probably the smart move but not the move I would want if he was my teammate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad