Auston Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koolboss

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I remember posting about trading both Nyland and Matthews for a number one D and a good winger. This was when we were winning games and Matthews was hurt. Was pretty bold back than but it would make so much sense now.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

mikeo1

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver
He doesn't fight for the puck like he used to and gives up way too early on plays. I'm guessing he's afraid of injuring his shoulder again and is trying to coast on talent, but it isn't working.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
Somethings up. Matty is a sensitive kid. He's not even getting frustrated which is the most worrisome part. No emotion to his game

You’re not going the must be hurt route, right?

I think he’s playing not to get hurt and is pissed he’s the not The Man.

Frig. Is there ever a question mark that McDavid, Crosby or Ovechkin won’t be on the number one power play? Of course not, but that’s life for Matthews under Babcock.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
There are rumours from people I know within the industry that he is absolutely miserable in Toronto. Not necessarily anything to do with the organization/coaching but he is really unhappy and wants to be closer to Arizona or a US market. I have to preface this by saying that it was told to me that they were rumours but i was extremely extremely disappointed to hear it. Not saying it has anything at all to do with his play but apparently based on what they're hearing they're having a really hard time seeing him being a longterm Leaf. They just kept saying he is really really unhappy here...like also just in the city of Toronto...which I find nuts.

That's ironic considering Dreger was reporting Matthews camp is looking for an 8 year contract and Dubas is looking at a 5 year contract.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
If only we had a certain winger that could help him get scoring again. Kapanen is good, but Nylander, Brown, Marleau, Hyman, Johnsson, haven't been able to do it. Am I missing anyone else? I can't think of them.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
You’re not going the must be hurt route, right?

I think he’s playing not to get hurt and is pissed he’s the not The Man.

Frig. Is there ever a question mark that McDavid, Crosby or Ovechkin won’t be on the number one power play? Of course not, but that’s life for Matthews under Babcock.
No. I was insinuating something in his life. His mind is just not in it

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I feel a story like this would have come to light sooner, and he wouldn't be making long-term plans with endorsement deals and such, which are predicated on him being here. He also didn't start the year playing like this. I just think his game is off right now, and he needs to fight harder for pucks, but for as great as he has been we forget he's a 21-year-old. I guess we'll see soon enough, his time as an RFA is coming up soon enough.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I think he's given up on Babcock. After his dominant performance in Tampa (he had zero points, but was a beast), he was given Johnsson & Brown to work with. He also gets 16-18 minutes of ice time while other young stars get 20-24.

Reactions: HomerJLeafs

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
Like we know for sure that he was unhappy with Babcock at the end of the last season and Babcock isnt doing any favours to "please" him or just dont piss off Matthews this season either.
Also that Kronwall hit was huge for him menthaly.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Huge moment in the game . The Leafs kill a penalty and Marner/Matthews/Tavares are on a line. All of a sudden Matthews is FLYING. He is 100% engaged... Im thinking to myself, finally Babcock is pairing Marner/Matthews together to change up the looks. Matthews does not want to play for this coach. Babcock is favouring Tavares and its making Matthews rage. Babcock completely refuses to play Marner/Matthews together and I think they are dying to play with each other. Especially Matthews who after 3 years does not have a skilled reliable line mate.

*IF anyone thinks Nylander is a line-mate that players love playing with, your 100% wrong. Im not even talking the last 19 games. Im talking the last 3 years. Nylander is not trust-worthy, reliable and when he checks out the Matthews line is basically in survival mode, borderline PK mode.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I heard the same thing about McDavid as he just wants to play in Toronto. He is only scoring bc that’s the only way he can justify his contract. Now I only heard this from a friend of a friend of a friend who said he is closed to Father McDavid’s dog sitter who over heard something. Even though it is a rumour, I just feel very disappointed if McDavid’s heart is really not in the Oilers.

Seems like we could just swap "problems" in this case.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
let Arizona offer sheet him if he's unhappy here, you can't make someone perform who isn't happy and it's affecting their game.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Babcock is a strange dude. Who knows how his brain works. I don't really even want to know. He knows Nylander is a loser though, so smarter than Dubas.

This is revisionist history. If anything, Babcock was the one who kept saying he expects Nylander to be in the lineup this season, forcing Dubas' hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad