Auston Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
good point, I never had a agent or a financial adviser to guide me, but i probably wouldn't have listened if I had!
I'm sure you would be more cautious. It just human nature to protect yourself.

I mean, if a person knew that if they avoided injury for 4 months, they could :

1) Pay off their parent's debt - parents who gave up their lives to help them live their dream;
2) Help their parents retire;
3) Get an $80M contract and never have to worry about money, again,

99% of people would encase themselves in Bubble Wrap.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
So avoid all physical contact, look like a shell of your former self and still demand 10+mil a year? Wow, it's unbelievable how entitled these young guys are. If he looks like this the rest of the season and still demands 10+ a year, I hope he sits out the whole season next year. Sick of this kind of attitude. Hopefully that's not his attitude.
I don't know, of course. I'm just applying common sense to the situation.

Last edited:

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I'm sure you would be more cautious. It just human nature to protect yourself. I mean, if you knew that if you avoided injury for 4 months, you could :

1) Pay off your parent's debt - parents who gave up their lives to help you live your dream;
2) Help your parents retire;
3) Never have to worry about money, again;

99%+ of people would encase themselves in Bubble Wrap.
So now we can’t expect our players to compete, because they have to pay off their families debts.

It’s too much.

ITS TOO MUCH!!!!!

Reactions: Finn16

Finn16

Feb 15, 2018

1) Pay off their parent's debt - parents who gave up their lives to help them live their dream;
3) Never have to worry about money, again;

So your saying if Matthews were to get injured he would not be able to do any of the following:

1.Pay off his parents debt who gave up their lives to help him live his dream
2) Help his parents retire
3) Never have to worry about money again.

Than why wouldn't he sign before the season started? I don't understand why he would risk his entire familys well being when he could fix it all in an instant.

All of that could have been accomplished months ago...So I can't see how any of that could be a factor in this.

:edit Oh and your last part about never having to worry about money again made be laugh....as if when a players RFA contact expires they forgot about becoming a UFA and making even more money.

Reactions: ToneDog

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
So your saying if Matthews were to get injured he would not be able to do any of the following:

1.Pay off his parents debt who gave up their lives to help him live his dream
2) Help his parents retire
3) Never have to worry about money again.

Than why wouldn't he sign before the season started? I don't understand why he would risk his entire familys well being when he could fix it all in an instant.

All of that could have been accomplished months ago...So I can't see how any of that could be a factor in this.
Maybe he felt he could get more money after this season? Or maybe he wants Arizona / Las Vegas to make him an offer (sheet)? Or maybe he felt invincible before the season and now realizes he's playing with fire?

The truth is, I don't know.

I do know that when you try and understand a person's actions : self preservation / common sense usual rule the day.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
:edit Oh and your last part about never having to worry about money again made be laugh....as if when a players RFA contact expires they forgot about becoming a UFA and making even more money.
After being injured twice this season, Matthews probably feels vulnerable. That vulnerability is making him cautious. It would make me cautious.

Plus, I guarantee his agent and parents are in his ear - reminding him how much he has to lose.

jimmycarter

Jun 12, 2010
He just isn’t playing hockey like good players do right now. As soon as he starts playing hockey like good hockey players do, he will be a good hockey player again.

It’s pretty simple.

EXPECT THE LEAFS

May 7, 2016
Shoulder injuries (rotator cuff specifically) can especially be weird... even when they're good enough to go, they really aren't good enough to go. And the issue seems to come and go. My left shoulder hasn't been 100% since like my late teens.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

What if as a result of avoiding injury, you played worse and consequently get paid less than you could have?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
What if as a result of avoiding injury, you played worse and consequently get paid less than you could have?
We may actually have that situation.

Like I said many times...

If it was me, I'd encase myself in bubble wrap.
If you'd play hard and risk the big contract, you're a better person than me.

Finn16

Feb 15, 2018
im starting to think we overrate matthews, good goal scorer. but no mcdavid or pettersson. i think we need to pull back a little, i'd say hes 4th best just on our team, which is a middle of the pack team

his goal scoring rate per game is dropping fast, and soon wont even match a ROOKIE like pettersson. a rookie. nevermind not having the vision to be able to match assists..

we got a goal scorer. but we should stop comparing him to mcdavid.

tavares should be captain if we want to win anything soon. i wont think his meek attitude can lead

There definitely has been overrating of Matthews and hes definitely no McDavid but he is without a doubt better than Petterson who is a good young player but no where close to as good as some of the hype hes getting, Kind of like boeser he has taken some teams by surprise but will his totals will drop next season and Matthews is already on pace for more assists than Petterson is and I don't even think he trys to pass to some of these plugs on his line sometimes Plus petterson is really bad and overrated defensive player who gets a lot of slack for playing on the canucks since there a bad team overachieving. I'm not even sure if the can handle being a number 1# long term people talk about Matthews being injury prone and Petterson can't even stay healthy for one season and he is not even an LEGIT rookie he spent a season maturing in sweden.

We need to see Matthews for what he is and pay him accordingly, hes not McDavid but hes going to be one of the best after him.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

I don't really understand Millennial logic. It used to be that a person willing to put knives on their boots and carry a piece of lumber in their hands, who took a beating day in and day out...who needed to be helped out of bed when they were juniors because of the beating that they took did it because they were competitive warriors. They weren't looking for a day at the spa. I completely misread the game. I used to think the difference between a great player and an NHL caliber player was the person's commitment to being an athlete at an early age.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Shoulder injuries (rotator cuff specifically) can especially be weird... even when they're good enough to go, they really aren't good enough to go. And the issue seems to come and go. My left shoulder hasn't been 100% since like my late teens.
and it never will be, shoulders and knees, once you tear those ligaments the joints are looser than they should be, movement within the joint equals injury. My surgeon equated a torn ligament to a old elastic band, that gave me a pretty good visual of what's going on in my joints.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I don't really understand Millennial logic. It used to be that a person willing to put knives on their boots and carry a piece of lumber in their hands, who took a beating day in and day out...who needed to be helped out of bed when they were juniors because of the beating that they took did it because they were competitive warriors. They weren't looking for a day at the spa. I completely misread the game. I used to think the difference between a great player and an NHL caliber player was the person's commitment to being an athlete at an early age.
I'm not a Millennial. I wish I was.

I'm an old man (well, not that old) who uses common sense whenever he can and common sense tells me that Matthews hesitation, his caution, comes from his fear of being hockey's version of Marcus DuPree.

Finn16

Feb 15, 2018
Laughing at the fact that pettersson isn't a better player? Well this post will not age well as it becomes painfully obvious, even to the ones who don't stay up late enough to watch his games ;)

I do watch Canuck games and Petterson is no where remotely close to Matthews and even Canucks fans would have no issue admitting this.

I get Leaf fans like do do the whole grass is always greener on the other side but Petterson doesn't even deserve to be in this discussion.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
Then why don’t their points per game prove that?

And how many people would honestly trade Matthews for Eichel? Nobody who cares about the Leafs would do that and everybody who cares about the Sabres would gladly do that swap if they were honest.

Auston is better.

And then you add in that Eichel's contract was 2 years ago. Everything goes up.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015

I'm an old man (well, not that old) who uses common sense whenever he can and common sense tells me that Matthews hesitation, his caution, comes from his fear of being hockey's version of Marcus DuPree.
So why isn't it the case that every player disappears on their final elc year? It's usually quite the opposite. That's the year they step it up a notch.

Pretty much what you're saying is "Matthews is probably more of a big sissy compared to other star players, so it's not his fault."
I mean... that's not exactly making a good case for they guy you know...

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Matthews needs the kind of fear than Tavares and McDavid has. Saying that he is too good to slump for too long is wrong headed. I once heard McDavid claim that he trains really hard because he fears someone will catch up to his skill. Tavares is constantly training like he has one leg out of the league. Matthews needs to understand that he has only one direction to go unless he out works and out trains everyone else. Money is a byproduct of success. It isn't the reason for it.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
And how many people would honestly trade Matthews for Eichel? Nobody who cares about the Leafs would do that and everybody who cares about the Sabres would gladly do that swap if they were honest.

Auston is better.

And then you add in that Eichel's contract was 2 years ago. Everything goes up.
The only thing I agree with is your final sentence. There is cap inflation on the 10 mil aav. But ONLY if Matthews contract is also for 8 years.

You didn't address my other argument about Nylander. It seems the leafs have to pay their players more than their direct comparables. Why?

When the "eye test" said Pastrnak is way better than Nylander, and his career high's were much better than Nylanders, we were all told that those things "don't matter", and that Nylanders average ppg during his elc was similar to Pastrnaks. So now that DOESN'T apply to Matthews comparing to Eichel? WHY? This doesn't seem very fair...

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Matthews needs the kind of fear than Tavares and McDavid has. Saying that he is too good to slump for too long is wrong headed. I once heard McDavid claim that he trains really hard because he fears someone will catch up to his skill. Tavares is constantly training like he has one leg out of the league. Matthews needs to understand that he has only one direction to go unless he out works and out trains everyone else. Money is a byproduct of success. It isn't the reason for it.
did you watch the Oilers/Flames game on Saturday? McDavid was used and abuse all night, the guy just kept coming, Mathews right now is nowhere near being on the same level as McDavid regardless of what some leaf fans would believe.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
So why isn't it the case that every player disappears on their final elc year? It's usually quite the opposite. That's the year they step it up a notch.

Pretty much what you're saying is "Matthews is probably more of a big sissy compared to other star players, so it's not his fault."
I mean... that's not exactly making a good case for they guy you know...
I am going to assume most guys don't have 2 shoulder injuries in their final elc year.

I'm also going to assume most guys didn't have a father who missed his chance at a payday when he blew out his shoulder as a baseball player.

Add them together, and I understand his caution.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

IF IT WAS YOU, and you had 2 shoulder injuries in the year before you had a chance at an $80M contract, wouldn't you be more cautious / hesitant?

No explanation is necessary. Just a simple Yes or No, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad