Auston Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
This guy is done for the year. He's so afraid of getting injured he just casually skates those 16-18 minutes and that's it. Hopefully after he signs the contract he will be fearless again, but until that, the guy won't do anything risky. He knows exactly that another injury can ruin that sweet contract.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I love Matthews, but I’ve always maintained $9 million was a fair contract. Unfortunately, Eichel was given $10 and there’s no way around that.

Leafs should keep him at $10 million. Won’t be any less, but don’t make it any more. Dubas cannot make the same mistake he did with Nylander. $10 million now, and if you prove yourself, the world is yours when you then UFA.

Reactions: New Liskeard

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Is there anything the Leafs could do to hold him back from the All Star game?
Looks like a guy that needs to lay on a beach and gather himself.
you don't tell millennial's what to do, they tell you............

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
In Matthews' defense...

Let's think about it from Matthews' perspective. You're 21 years old and you are months(?) away from the pay day that you've always dreamed about - one that will set you, and your family, up for life.

Then, out of no where, Trouba reminds you that you are human and it can all be gone in a blink - BEFORE you sign that contract. You come back and Kronwall provides a 2nd reminder of your athletic mortality.

So... What would you do?

Me, I'd avoid contact and anything that might end my career or kill my pay day. Wouldn't you?

He already missed time to injury last season as well. If that were the case, shouldn't he have signed a contract extension after that? Tough to know for certain how willing either the team or player have been to do so to this point.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I love Matthews, but I’ve always maintained $9 million was a fair contract. Unfortunately, Eichel was given $10 and there’s no way around that.

Leafs should keep him at $10 million. Won’t be any less, but don’t make it any more. Dubas cannot make the same mistake he did with Nylander. $10 million now, and if you prove yourself, the world is yours when you then UFA.
Eichel is the perfect comparison. Similar ppg as Matthews. Similar career highs. Also suffered through nagging injuries.

Maybe 10.5 (due to cap inflation) times 8.

If Matthews doesn’t it want it to be 8 years, then there should be significant aav reductions.

Anything higher than that, and Dubas got taken to the cleaners yet again.

BlueStorm

Aug 14, 2010
Halifax
In Matthews' defense...

Let's think about it from Matthews' perspective. You're 21 years old and you are months(?) away from the pay day that you've always dreamed about - one that will set you, and your family, up for life.

Then, out of no where, Trouba reminds you that you are human and it can all be gone in a blink - BEFORE you sign that contract. You come back and Kronwall provides a 2nd reminder of your athletic mortality.

So... What would you do?

Me, I'd avoid contact and anything that might end my career or kill my pay day. Wouldn't you?

I agree...

Matthews wasn't always able to join the traveling teams when he was young due to the cost. His mother worked two jobs (Star Bucks and as a waitress) at one point and cleaned hotel rooms other years to help fund his hockey development. He chose to play in a pro league for $400,000 US to repay his mother who he is extremely close with. He could have played with Boston College or in the WHL during his draft year but he wanted to make money. His mother and sister moved to Switzerland and lived with him during his season there. He was the first high ranked draft prospect to choose a European pro route.

His father was a pitcher who had a shot at the pros but blew out his shoulder. When Auston played with the US national team he broke his leg requiring surgery, then in Switzerland missed 7 games due to a back injury. Now he has had two fairly significant injuries in less than 3 seasons with the Leafs. He plays on a soft team with no Lucic types to deter hits and the abuse a talented young star will face.

This isn't proof by any means that he is coasting until the 8 year deal gets signed but given 4 injuries in the past 5 seasons and a father who's pro career was sidelined after a shoulder injury (Matthews has had both shoulders injured now in Toronto) it's not a huge leap to think he's avoiding a potential career ending injury that may cost him $80+ million.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I agree...

Matthews wasn't always able to join the traveling teams when he was young due to the cost. His mother worked two jobs (Star Bucks and as a waitress) at one point and cleaned hotel rooms other years to help fund his hockey development. He chose to play in a pro league for $400,000 US to repay his mother who he is extremely close with. He could have played with Boston College or in the WHL during his draft year but he wanted to make money. His mother and sister moved to Switzerland and lived with him during his season there. He was the first high ranked draft prospect to choose a European pro route.

His father was a pitcher who had a shot at the pros but blew out his shoulder. When Auston played with the US national team he broke his leg requiring surgery, then in Switzerland missed 7 games due to a back injury. Now he has had two fairly significant injuries in less than 3 seasons with the Leafs. He plays on a soft team with no Lucic types to deter hits and the abuse a talented young star will face.

This isn't proof by any means that he is coasting until the 8 year deal gets signed but given 4 injuries in the past 5 seasons and a father who's pro career was sidelined after a shoulder injury (Matthews has had both shoulders injured now in Toronto) it's not a huge leap to think he's avoiding a potential career ending injury that may cost him $80+ million.
Great info. I did not know that. But I heard from someone about 2 weeks ago that I trust that he was playing to avoid injury and that he and Leafs were close on signing an 8 year deal. Now that makes even more sense to me.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
It;s like he has turned into a big:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

overnight.. the guy is either injured again or he needs to talk to the scarecrow to see where he got his heart.

BlueStorm

Aug 14, 2010
Halifax
Great info. I did not know that. But I heard from someone about 2 weeks ago that I trust that he was playing to avoid injury and that he and Leafs were close on signing an 8 year deal. Now that makes even more sense to me.
That's pretty much what I said... whether or not he thinks he's close right now to signing or it comes this summer, if he's playing soft to avoid injury in the next month or next 3 months it still answers his recent play. I was just providing some background info to back up this theory. Right now those hypothetical 4 first round picks from Arizona looks better.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

overnight.. the guy is either injured again or he needs to talk to the scarecrow to see where he got his heart.
the scarecrow didn't have a brain, the tin man didn't have a heart now is that a coincidence or what?

upload_2019-1-21_14-50-17.jpeg

upload_2019-1-21_14-50-49.jpeg

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
Eichel is the perfect comparison. Similar ppg as Matthews. Similar career highs. Also suffered through nagging injuries.

If Matthews doesn’t it want it to be 8 years, then there should be significant aav reductions.

It's easy for you to say that.

But are prepared for the consequences? So training camp comes and Matthews camp is still saying they aren't even talking about anything less than 12M.

And then the regular season starts. And then the first 10 games. Then Dec 1st is approaching. You and the majority will be praising Dubas the whole time....right? Right?

So you're advocating the Leafs play next year with Matthews sitting at home rotting. Basically throwing a full season in the Dumpster. ThrowMoreWaffles wants the Leafs to play next year without Matthews! Either that or advocating trading him in the off season. That's what you're really saying when you write things like "Dubas better not pay more than $10M.

The point is there is no leverage with players of Matthews' caliber. He's going to get whatever he wants or he won't be playing.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
It's easy for you to say that.

But are prepared for the consequences? So training camp comes and Matthews camp is still saying they aren't even talking about anything less than 12M.

And then the regular season starts. And then the first 10 games. Then Dec 1st is approaching. You and the majority will be praising Dubas the whole time....right? Right?

So you're advocating the Leafs play next year with Matthews sitting at home rotting. Basically throwing a full season in the Dumpster. ThrowMoreWaffles wants the Leafs to play next year without Matthews! Either that or advocating trading him in the off season. That's what you're really saying when you write things like "Dubas better not pay more than $10M.

The point is there is no leverage with players of Matthews' caliber. He's going to get whatever he wants or he won't be playing.
He has a career high of 69 points. McDavid had 100 points and a Hart before getting that contract.

How come other teams don’t have to give such outrageous contracts for such players?

You know how the gm’s of other teams can give out reasonable contracts so easily? That’s what I want Dubas to do.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I agree...

Interesting. Well written, too.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

Like I said, if it was you, wouldn't you also be afraid to lose a big contract? I would.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

* In a perfect world, he'd get $8M or $9M.
* With Eichel getting $10M, that's the floor.
* Unless he gets a Offer Sheet from another team, I'm hoping they find middle ground at $11M.
* My fear is he will ask and get $12M.

Given his family history, a shoulder injury could turn Matthews into a financial liability very quickly.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Like I said, if it was you, wouldn't you also be afraid to lose a big contract? I would.

McDavid had a serious injury during his first year as well. Instead of cowering away from hits, he put up 100 points and won the Hart trophy.

Matthews can float to try and avoid injury this year... but it should damn well affect his contract negotiations.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
McDavid had a serious injury during his first year as well. Instead of cowering away from hits, he put up 100 points and won the Hart trophy.

Matthews can float to try and avoid injury this year... but it should damn well affect his contract negotiations.

You're moving away from Nylander and now targeting the Matthews future contract? lol

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
* In a perfect world, he'd get $8M or $9M.
* With Eichel getting $10M, that's the floor.
* Unless he gets a Offer Sheet from another team, I'm hoping they find middle ground at $11M.
* My fear is he will ask and get $12M.

Given his family history, a shoulder injury could turn Matthews into a financial liability very quickly.
So Eichel puts up similar numbers to Matthews and also battles through injuries... so why is his contract the floor and not the ceiling?

You’re pretty much saying the starting point is the leafs getting screwed over... and we just have to hope we’re only slightly screwed over.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

Fair enough but, as other have said, as desperate and demanding as this fan base is, they will want him signed. Heck, they wanted Nylander signed and he`s no Matthews.

Truth be told, if I was Dubas, and Matthews got an offer sheet for $10M+, I`d let him go and take the Draft Picks because I think he`s Mr. Glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad