Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Chapter 1 of the Leafs/Matthews saga has gone according to script. :nod:

Couldn't have scripted it better.

Chapter 1:
Tank to 30th .. Draft #1 overall = generational franchise C

1297851130725_ORIGINAL.jpg

& ----> playoffs in year 1, and Calder as best rookie in the league and 3rd in the league in goals. While setting all new standards for Leaf rookies in goals and points.

1297966612146_ORIGINAL.jpg

Chapter 2:
Leafs name Matthews captain, he leads Leafs to playoffs and the beginning of consistent playoff competitors streak like the Wings.

Toronto%20Maple%20Leafs%201950-51%20F%20jersey.jpg

Chapter 3:
Bettman says "Auston, put down your Conn Smythe, and come up here and get the Stanley Cup".

coupe.jpg
&
trophy_connsmythelg.jpe

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Well deserved, kid was a beast for us! Best season by a rookie since Malkin IMO, although he still had stiff competition in Laine, who also had one of the top rookie years since Malkin.

member 262271

Yaaaasssssssss! Well deserved Auston, great short and sweet speech too. Had many a laugh over the jets fans who can't admit it was Matthews all the way.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Laine must be pissed. Second overall to Matthews in the draft and very distant second to him in the Calder votes. He will be as motivated as ever next season.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Laine must be pissed. Second overall to Matthews in the draft and very distant second to him in the Calder votes. He will be as motivated as ever next season.
I'm sure Matthews won't need this as motivation for next season, however I wonder if he knows or cares that he was 3 votes short of wining all 1st place votes. Laine got those other three 1st place votes and those same voters are the only ones who gave Matthews those three 2nd place votes, which is significant since Matthews didn't get any 3rd, 4th or 5th place votes.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
:laugh: it's not that. like Laine/Murray, Werenski all were great. but i think when you look at the Ballot and see that 164 people out of 167 voted for Matthews first place...

WHY YOU REBEL?!

:laugh::laugh:

we're a very worked-up-able bunch.

i don't usually go into the specific team boards unless it's something pertaining to us and them linked so I don't know why they would be overtly insecure or whatever. i legitimately hope they do well. I mean, I hope we smoke them when we meet in the Cup Final in a year or two, - but other than that I really wouldn't see why they'd be insecure about anything.

Because they were hot garbage for a decade and landed Yung Sidney Crosby, and now anyone who is mentioned in the same breath as him strokes their massive inferiority complex.

It's like holy ****, yes McDavid is the best player in the league. Everyone knows it. Of course he's the bar everyone is going to be measured against.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Well, Lawless isn't a reporter in Winnipeg anymore. He's working PR for Vegas.

IMO, if Matthews was playing for like the Canes or NJ, or any other non Canadian teams Lawless would not have written that article.

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
Dominic Moore said that Matthews called him to welcome him to the team after his signing.

Is there any doubt of who our next captain should be? Fantastic.

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
Dominic Moore said that Matthews called him to welcome him to the team after his signing.

Is there any doubt of who our next captain should be? Fantastic.

That's a step above in this decade. All hail King Auston, long may he reign. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad