Auston Matthews vs. Elias Pettersson

Who would you take going forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Just checking here, because there are some sad people who judge a player negatively all because he beat their favourite player in a poll at another thread.

Instead of being reliant on statistics, trying use the eye test as well and have the ability to understand his circumstances and the level of players he plays with on a daily basis.

I have watched 6 of the 9 games he has played. The eye test confirms the stats, he's very skilled but only producing chances in short bursts.

Feel free to actually address the stats though.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
LOL oh look YET ANOTHER poll in which a player with significantly less experience and proven production winning over a Leafs player. Zzzz classic HFBoards.

Tbh I think a lot of people are voting for EP to get a reaction out of leafs fans. At least that’s why I did anyways haha. Could EP be better going forward? Sure why not? Can anyone really make a proper analysis this early into his career. No and this poll probably shouldn’t have been made

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Pettersson has more potential to grow as a player, both figuratively and literally.

He's 6'2'', but only 176 lbs. He has very little balance against bigger players right now, yet despite all that he has been phenomenal.

He's very promising player and one of the better youngsters (at least looks like) in the game. But honestly, I don't see him being better than AM.

Sniperr

Feb 13, 2015
Voted Pettersson because I think Perttersson will be the better ice hockey player. The hype is absolutely real. Matthews is obviously the safer choice.

Reactions: ehhedler

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
Tbh I think a lot of people are voting for EP to get a reaction out of leafs fans. At least that’s why I did anyways haha. Could EP be better going forward? Sure why not? Can anyone really make a proper analysis this early into his career. No and this poll probably shouldn’t have been made

TL;DR - I have no integrity.

Reactions: 1specter

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Matthews is much better than Pettersson.

Leave it up to HF to not be able to put recency bias aside.
What recency bias?
Matthews was a PPG player last year.
Some people expect EP to do better than that. It seems like a reasonable expectation. Both are great young players. Clearly homerism aside neither is ‘much better’ than the other.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
What recency bias?
Matthews was a PPG player last year.
Some people expect EP to do better than that. It seems like a reasonable expectation. Both are great young players. Clearly homerism aside neither is ‘much better’ than the other.
Matthews has shown to be an elite player for 155 games.

Pettersson has shown to be an elite player for 9 games.

Im not doubting that Pettersson is gonna be an elite player, but to say he's close to Matthews is just not the case. Its been 9 games. He might (and probably will) have similar point totals to Matthews in the future when he hits 155 games, but right now its way too early to put him at Matthews level.

Let Pettersson show it for a full season, then maybe this can actually be a discussion

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
He's very promising player and one of the better youngsters (at least looks like) in the game. But honestly, I don't see him being better than AM.
Pettersson creates so much with his intelligence, and his stick-handling and craftiness with the puck are arguably top-tier in the NHL. He has so naturally gifted with the puck -- powerful, snappy shot; crisp, perfect passes; the ability to swivel, fake out defenders and stick-handle smoothly and deceptively in tight spaces.

He is such a dangerous player every time he has the puck, and for the first time in years there has been a Vancouver player who makes the crowd "ooh" and "aah" several times per game.

He also has great speed and edgework. He can stutter-step and carve a path around a defender, and he can wait patiently with the puck for just the right moment to strike. He has a complete skill set, and every single skill is of a high-level quality. He is one of the most talented finesse players in the game -- based only on everyone's play this season thus far, he has been arguably the best.

Until the last couple of games, he has been playing with Loui Eriksson and Nikolay Goldobin. There is so much room for improvement still. What you're seeing right now is one player imposing his will on games.

Like Brian Burke said a few weeks ago, there is no ceiling to what this player is capable of. He has so far transcended all expectations, so it's tough to predict a limit to his potential.

Last edited:

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon

Im not doubting that Pettersson is gonna be an elite player, but to say he's close to Matthews is just not the case. Its been 9 games. He might (and probably will) have similar point totals to Matthews in the future when he hits 155 games, but right now its way too early to put him at Matthews level.

Let Pettersson show it for a full season, then maybe this can actually be a discussion

Read the thread again. Obviously AM is the better player since he's more proven but..

No one is asking who is better right now.

The question is who do you take in the future.

As of now EP is tracking to have the better rookie season than Matthews all while playing with lesser linemates/worser team.

Reactions: PopaneNightscare

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Well this is called Hockey Futures board for a reason. Technically we should wait until players retire to assess who is better. EP will always have played two less seasons than Matthews and that won’t change. If we wait for 155 games then some will say let’s see if he can keep it up for 300 games. Just like many said after Barzal’s rookie season.
Anyways I expect both to be stars and don’t really buy the one is much better than the other argument. As I said I expect that EP will do better than a PPG this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad