Auston Matthews vs. Elias Pettersson

Who would you take going forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
As they should, but I have no idea whether the neutrals or trolling here, but if people are actually serious I am absolutely speechless.

I think its a lot of fans sick and tired of the leafs trying to say Matthews even belongs in the same sentence as McDavid, these results probably reflect the hatred of homerism of leaf fans way more than it does believing that EP is better than AM

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
TIL Pettersson has only ever played 9 hockey games in his life LOL

I’d accept the “puh, well it’s only been 9 games” argument if I hadn’t actually seen him play. He doesn’t stop getting better.

The detractors are implying that Pettersson is just insanely lucky and his play/statistics will inevitably regress to the norm. Basically a rookie version of Chris Kontos.

Thing is, these people haven't seen him play. His goals aren't tap-ins and unintentional bounces off his butt. EP actually has elite playmaking skills, puck handling, shooting, etc. His play is attention-grabbing even when he is not on the score sheet.

The detractors will find out soon enough.

Hugh Mungus

Feb 1, 2017
nucks nation
Crazy theory: what if Pettersson isn't just a 9 game beneficiary and is really the real deal?

If that's the case I take him over Matthews.

Leafs fans making this thread toxic for no reason. It says "going forward", we all know Matthews is better right now, although it might not be that way by the end of this year.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
I keep seeing posts about Leafs fans “melting down”, but most seem to be having a chuckle at this thread. The rest of Canada’s inferiority complex is shining hard ITT.
Literally every single Canadian team in the last 5 years has had more success than the Leafs. I think its Leafs fans with the inferiority complex when they brag about being a cup contender when they cant even win in the playoffs and keep choking.

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
I think it's a big compliment to Pettersson's play that this is even a discussion.

Matthews is a fantastic player. I'd probably say he has less raw skill than EP, but that's also more of a compliment to Pettersson than a slight on Matthews.

It'll be fun to see how things play out over the course of the season. He could slow down, but he's blown me away so far with the skill he's shown and how consistently good he's been in every game. Even on the rare occasion he doesn't register points.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
All this swagger from a fan whose team has been abysmal for FIFTY years.

And NO, the center of the universe does not inspire envy. Now you are sounding like that Zapp Brannigan guy from Futurama.

I actually like Matthews et al. But you guys have obviously never seen Pettersson play.

Rudeboyting

Oct 31, 2018
The detractors are implying that Pettersson is just insanely lucky and his play/statistics will inevitably regress to the norm. Basically a rookie version of Chris Kontos.

Thing is, these people haven't seen him play. His goals aren't tap-ins and unintentional bounces off his butt. EP actually has elite playmaking skills, puck handling, shooting, etc. His play is attention-grabbing even when he is not on the score sheet.

The detractors will find out soon enough.

Agreed. Ive cracked up 2-3 times reading the responses from the detractors, as you put it, and about on par with what I thought I’d read :laugh:

Btw, he’s actually been rather unlucky tbh. No offense to Canucks fans, but I have that “I feel sorry for him” feeling I get with McDavid watching his line mates flub the can’t miss opps he sets up routinely. Open cage right on the door step. I get 2nd hand embarassment.

His point totals are not matching the eye test.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
Yeah. No kidding about EP's mostly sad sack linemates. The Canucks' defence has its 2 best passers injured. And even when completely healthy, they do not have the likes of anyone like Karlsson around.

EP's linemates have been a slowly recovering Boeser and _____ interchangeable other guy. Until the last game, Boeser has been slow and seemingly reluctant to shoot. Horvat is often stuck playing with scrubs on the 2nd line.

Not saying Pettersson is going to outdo anyone, just saying his skill set matches the hype.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Agreed. Ive cracked up 2-3 times reading the responses from the detractors, as you put it, and about on par with what I thought I’d read :laugh:

Btw, he’s actually been rather unlucky tbh. No offense to Canucks fans, but I have that “I feel sorry for him” feeling I get with McDavid watching his line mates flub the can’t miss opps he sets up routinely. Open cage right on the door step. I get 2nd hand embarassment.

His point totals are not matching the eye test.
players don't score on 100% of scoring chances, or even most of them. Pettersson's shooting percentage is high, as is his oish%. yes he's flashy out there, but you're kidding yourself if you actually think his production is lower than it should be. he's not a 136 point caliber player, let alone better than that but getting unlucky

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Remember when after the first 5 games this season Leafs fans were saying Matthews is better than Mcdavid. Now suddenly when Matthews disappears and gets injured sample size starts to matter again

You do realize the Leafs fans saying he was better than McDavid were in the vast minority right?

Rudeboyting

Oct 31, 2018
players don't score on 100% of scoring chances, or even most of them. Pettersson's shooting percentage is high, as is his oish%. yes he's flashy out there, but you're kidding yourself if you actually think his production is lower than it should be. he's not a 136 point caliber player, let alone better than that but getting unlucky

Oh...it’s you. :laugh: You sound a little too angry about this.

I know what I’m seeing. I think I will take a hard pass on “CantLoseWithMatthews” ‘ s take.

Thank you though brother.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I already posted all the stats that show he's scoring at a much higher rate than he should be at the moment a bunch of pages back. It of course went unaddressed. It's also possible for him to be both extremely lucky right now and talented, those aren't mutually exclusive.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I already posted all the stats that show he's scoring at a much higher rate than he should be at the moment a bunch of pages back. It of course went unaddressed. It's also possible for him to be both extremely lucky right now and talented, those aren't mutually exclusive.
If you watch the games, and actually use your eye test, you’ll notice that Pettersson has set up a crazy amount of easy scoring chances that would have been buried with a proper top 6 forward beside him.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
His shooting percentage is high because he’s an efficient shooter and if he doesn’t have a clear shot he uses his insane playmaker abilities.

Reactions: vcanuck

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
If you watch the games, and actually use your eye test, you’ll notice that Pettersson has set up a crazy amount of easy scoring chances that would have been buried with a proper top 6 forward beside him.
I have watched 6 of the 9 games he has played. The eye test confirms the stats, he's very skilled but only producing chances in short bursts.

Feel free to actually address the stats though.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Loui Eriksson on a line with Pettersson looks like this (Rantanen's pops):
Loui+Eriksson+Florida+Panthers+v+Dallas+Stars+jnK1Fo7cxt9l.jpg

Patrick Marleau on a line with Matthews looks like this

3db48a3bde49e3a76ded88c8c25e4f25.png

loui-meme.png

irrefutable evidence, even Leafs fans can't rebuke this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad