Auston Matthews Versus John Tavares

Which player would you rather have for the next three years?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Well Leafs have both so we don't need to choose. But Matthews is better imo already and will be for the rest of thier careers.

They are debatable right now but honestly it's hard to imagine Matthews not improving by a fair bit.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Leafs fans actually think AM is a top 5 centre? I’m just going to list some centres I think are better and not arguable at all in order of team.

Getzlaf
Bergeron
MacKinnon
Seguin
McDavid
Barkov
Kopitar
Crosby
Malkin
Stamkos
Tavares
Backstrom
Kuznetsov
Scheifele

And that’s not including guys like Eichel, Drai, Carter who are probably better but up for argument.
Yeah,.. no. Matthews is better than Kuznetsov easily.

In same true tier as Barkov, Getzlaf, Bergeron, Seguin, Tavares.

Only guys I'd say on that list that are clearly better are McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, Backstrom, Scheifele, Kopitar and MacKinnon.

AM34 is in the 10-15 range

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
They're pretty even in my books. Though Matthews is more likely to improve so I guess I'd go with him. But I'd be thrilled with either.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think Auston Matthews is the better skillset and will be the better player side by side, but he's going to learn so much of what a number one center has to do from Tavares himself. This feels like when Pittsburgh added Ron Francis to Mario Lemieux, but in this case it's like having two Ron Francises.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I think for the next 2 years at least, Tavares will be the 1C. Matthews is better defensively, but I just think it makes more sense to have the veteran 1C up front.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Didn't play with Sid.
People thought Phil might get 50 in T.O.-its really not him.
Kessel did play with Sid. He played like 30 game with him when he first came to Pittsburgh and they did not click. That's how the conclusion that kessel and Crosby do not work together came to be.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
no option for equal so didn't vote.

imagine having both these guys...oh wait!

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Tavares is better then Matthews right now. Will he be in two years. Hard to say but since this is for the next three years the answer is Tavares and he’s still in his prime.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
no option for equal so didn't vote.

imagine having both these guys...oh wait!

Lol love the cockiness.

You act like you didn’t lose 70-80 goals with JVR Bozak and Komorov and replaced him with at best forty goals.

I’m not saying the leafs are worse I just think the overreaction today by people has been hilarious.

Where’s the franchise d man? And your probably going to lose Nylander now

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Yeah,.. no. Matthews is better than Kuznetsov easily.

In same true tier as Barkov, Getzlaf, Bergeron, Seguin, Tavares.

Only guys I'd say on that list that are clearly better are McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, Backstrom, Scheifele, Kopitar and MacKinnon.

AM34 is in the 10-15 range

Matthews is better then Kuznetsov easily? How?

Matthews put up two points in seven playoff games and kuznetsov lead his team to a cup leading the playoffs with over 30 pts after a season where he put up more pts then Matthews ever has.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Leafs fans actually think AM is a top 5 centre? I’m just going to list some centres I think are better and not arguable at all in order of team.

Getzlaf
Bergeron
MacKinnon
Seguin
McDavid
Barkov
Kopitar
Crosby
Malkin
Stamkos
Tavares
Backstrom
Kuznetsov
Scheifele

And that’s not including guys like Eichel, Drai, Carter who are probably better but up for argument.
This is moronic. Matthews scores at higher rates than a number of the names on this list, scores way more goals and has better defensive underlying stats. Nevermind that he's 20.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
This is moronic. Matthews scores at higher rates than a number of the names on this list, scores way more goals and has better defensive underlying stats. Nevermind that he's 20.

I wouldn't put them all over Matthews, but none of those names are a stretch. Age also isn't a case for who's better

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
IF.....and that's a big if.....the Leafs get Tavares, just imagine how much better he can be with a talent like Mitch Marner on his wing. We could easily see him surpassing 40 goals/90 points with magic Mitch. Gonna be a lot of fun, if it goes down like that.
Marner and Barzal are pretty similar skill wise. JT was terrible when he played with Barzal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad