Auston Matthews - POTENTIALLY Greatest American player of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jot

Mar 10, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
The way this question is being answered in this thread is similar to a YES or NO poll...
Or.. a bunch of Sarcastic comments, which discourages any REAL DISCUSSION.

Maybe this is how forums are supposed to be nowadays... i dont know. I dont spend enough time on here.

Back to the REAL topic. "But what are the chances he gets there?"

In my opinion, closest person in Todays NHL is Patrick Kane, for an overall career he is averaging a PPG career.

If Matthews matches Kane's 1st two season in the NHL, and i believe the has the talent to do it(and he's pacing himself to do so). He would also have to stay relatively healthy throughout his career, and at minimum Point Per Game Center, and consistently in TOP 10 Selke voting, which he also has the talent to do so.

With that in mind, i believe he could do it. He also could mold himself into a consistent 40 Goals Center as well. His skillset is quite unique, and he plays very maturely, and is a stud defensively.

Its awesome for the league to have top talents come from US, it disheartens me, we may not see a USA vs CAN re-match for Gold.

Reactions: PinkFly

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I think he's got a pretty good shot at it if everything goes well.

Kid is a beast at this age and with experience he will only get better. Plays for a team that is already good and have a very bright future. Great player playing for a good team for majority of his career is a pretty darn good combination.

Of course a lot can happen, but theoretically speaking, i don't think it's ridiculous to say he could be considered the greatest American player of all time one day.

Reactions: PinkFly

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
He's already the greatest American talent to grace the NHL. Better raw talent than Gretzky and Lemieux.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
no.1: like you said, he have 2 seasons in the NHL, it's like posters that call McDavid generational talent after 2 full season in (missed half of one due to injury)
no.2: he still have lots to do to go above my top 5 (Chris Chelios, Brett Hull, Mike Modano, Jeremy Roenick, Brian Leetch)

Sniperr

Feb 13, 2015
I have a feeling at the end of his career he will be.

Still he got ALOT to do to be in the convertation.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Threads like this, and there are hundreds of them it seems, make me really dislike the kid. And he's a good player but for Chrissake, let's stop with the extreme overrating of Matthews.
This.

And GOAT username and avatar. Greatest books I ever read.

IslesBro715

May 24, 2009
Florida
He still has a longgg way to go. I dont think he will hit the career acolades that Kane or Chelios already have so I said no. But it's possible, imo its more likely finishes among top 5-10 Americans all time which is pretty damn good. Ironically I can see some leafs fans still be upset with my answer.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
He still has a longgg way to go. I dont think he will hit the career acolades that Kane or Chelios already have so I said no. But it's possible, imo its more likely finishes among top 5-10 Americans all time which is pretty damn good. Ironically I can see some leafs fans still be upset with my answer.

Again. Leaf fans aren’t saying this. Still gets ignored

IslesBro715

May 24, 2009
Florida
Again. Leaf fans aren’t saying this. Still gets ignored

I never generalize; would say the same thing thing if we were talking about Barzal and Isles fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad