Auston Matthews - POTENTIALLY Greatest American player of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
He's had about the best start to a career as any American has ever had, especially at his age. It's way too early to say he'll continue to be this elite obviously but I like his chances. He is a tremendous player. He's already pretty much one of the most talented Americans ever, and I usually cringe dropping superlatives like that.

Harmonica1

Nov 16, 2016
Matthews is the best player in NHL, Laine is playing like shit, they have the same points. What's Laine's potential?

LeveilleFan19

Jul 13, 2016
Certainly has potential?

Who is current numbet one?

USA hasnt had too many super high end talents.

You obviously haven't been watching hockey very long if you believe that crap.

I think people need to stop with the notion that all the best talent comes out of Canada. Yeah, 50 years ago it did. Not so today. Canada may have the highest % of players but they certainly don't separate themselves by a country mile when it comes to talent.

Hockey is more universal than ever. It's not just Canada's game anymore. I know that's a bitter pill to swallow for some but one only need to look at the diversity in today's NHL to see the truth.

Reactions: Beville

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I give him a 5% chance to pass Kane

And even then, Kane is not necessarily the greatest US player either. He's in the discussion for sure and has a chance to make it. Especially as greatest US forward. Not sure how to compare him to Chelios.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Chances are pretty good. The bar isn't very high right now - i.e. Modano wouldn't even be on the radar if he was Canadian. The US only very recently became a top-4 hockey country so the interesting argument isn't whether Matthews becomes the best American player of all time but how long he holds that title after if he does.

CellarDweller0

Feb 19, 2010
Mississauga
I think it's cute how people like to jump in with negative comments instead of actually sticking to the thread topic. Carry on.

IMO Chelios or Modano are up there at this point.

Reactions: PinkFly

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I'm a Leafs/Hawks' fan and I think Kane is getting into that conversation.
The problem us everyone is basing their opinion on goal production. Kane doesn't play defence at all so how could you say he is the best. And I can't believe people are comparing Matthews to some if the greats after one decent season. Someone mentioned Chelios as the best American player ever. He might very well have been.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The problem us everyone is basing their opinion on goal production. Kane doesn't play defence at all so how could you say he is the best. And I can't believe people are comparing Matthews to some if the greats after one decent season. Someone mentioned Chelios as the best American player ever. He might very well have been.

I love Matthews obviously as a Leaf fan but let's see what hardware/cups he has after 10 years in the league right?

Historically, no one will pull up Kane's resume and say "but he didn't play defense" 3 cups, some good hardware, silver medal.

Chelios is a hell of a player...Modano too obviously.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I love Matthews obviously as a Leaf fan but let's see what hardware/cups he has after 10 years in the league right?

Historically, no one will pull up Kane's resume and say "but he didn't play defense" 3 cups, some good hardware, silver medal.

Chelios is a hell of a player...Modano too obviously.
I'm not sold on Kane at all. He has always had an excellent supporting cast around him. Guys like Toews, Hossa, Panarin, Sharpe, Saad and the hawks have had Keith and Seabrook's on defence the entire time and they have also had Crawford in net. There really isn't a lot of pressure on him to carry his team. If he didn't have all that talent around him I don't think he is near as successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad