Auston Matthews - POTENTIALLY Greatest American player of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'm not sold on Kane at all. He has always had an excellent supporting cast around him. Guys like Toews, Hossa, Panarin, Sharpe, Saad and the hawks have had Keith and Seabrook's on defence the entire time and they have also had Crawford in net. There really isn't a lot of pressure on him to carry his team. If he didn't have all that talent around him I don't think he is near as successful.

Modano and Chelios had good teams around them too?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Modano and Chelios carried their teams. Kane doesn't. He just floats around waiting for a break out pass while his team mates do all the hard work.

Kane has won a Conn Smythe, Hart, Art Ross....has Chelios or Modano?

Modano has had guys like Hull, Niewendyk, Belfour, Zubov, Hatcher, Lehtinen etc.

Chelios played with guys like Lidstrom, Shanahan, Yzerman, Hull, Roenick etc

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
You obviously haven't been watching hockey very long if you believe that crap.

I think people need to stop with the notion that all the best talent comes out of Canada. Yeah, 50 years ago it did. Not so today. Canada may have the highest % of players but they certainly don't separate themselves by a country mile when it comes to talent.

Hockey is more universal than ever. It's not just Canada's game anymore. I know that's a bitter pill to swallow for some but one only need to look at the diversity in today's NHL to see the truth.

Only 25 years? who is so great?

1) Chelios
2)Kane
3) Modano?

None of those players are on same tier as even Crosby or McDavid, no top 10 all time players.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
So obviously he's not there yet since he hasn't even had 2 full seasons in the NHL. But what are the chances he gets there? Who is even the best right now? Modano? Leetch? Patrick Kane is to one dimensional to be the greatest American of all time.

Edit: Wow alot of backlash for missing a word from the title. I would expect people would read the OP and be able to gauge I was talking about POTENTIALLY. I edited the thread title to spell out the obvious.

Gretzky was one dimensional, Matthews the greatest player of all time?!?!

Stupid point, until he's done a fraction of what Kane has done he doesn't even look on Pace to beat him.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
He is 299th best American
He is the 4th best Californian
He is the best for players born in San Ramon

At this rate he won't be able to beat Brett Hull and Mike Modano

After 2 seasons
Kane had 119 pts in 113 games
Matthews got 95pts in 108 games

Last edited:
Status