Speculation: Auston Matthews Offer Sheet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
I doubt he is going anywhere but people are crazy to think loyalty or winning have much to do with it.

The kid is 21 years old and has an agent. Unless Toronto gives him a record-setting contract his agent is going to advise his client to wait.

His value isn’t going down, it’s going up. His agent is smart enough to know it and he is smart enough to know it.

I will be very surprised if he signs for less than Tavares (per season) and for more term (I am guessing five years, tops)

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
If you were to offer sheet Marner and Matthews both at 12 and 15 each that puts the Leafs at the cap for 14 players (assuming 83m) Maybe give up futures to shed Zaitzev... that allows you to sign Kapanen for same contract. Still at only 15 players. Everyone else is on a NMC (could get Horton to waive) or named Andersen, Reilly or Nylander and you have a hideous blueline.

Obviously one team can't offer sheet both but if Arizona goes at Matthews if I'm Montreal I throw one at Marner right after

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
The report I saw today that the owner of the Houston Rockets may be interested in buying and moving the Coyotes should relieve Leafs fans a bit. I do think Arizona being his home, that the Coyotes introduced him to hockey and helped him develop into what he is would be a strong pull on him.

I also heard something on the radio today, Buffalo radio where the host of the show seemed to have read somewhere that Tavares is making an extra $6-7M this year in endorsement money. Matthews is more marketable than him.
If McDonalds Canada, Canadian Tire, Labatts, Ford etc want to make him into a $25M a year earner that's fine BUT I have a huge problem that Tavares is getting paid to endorse Rogers Media, an owner of the Leafs, and nobody seems to know the details about that setup.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
I could see him going into July 1st just for an offer sheet, that Toronto would be forced to match.
He held out before his rookie season, for performance bonuses. This is the contract that will dictate the rest of his life, I don't see him taking any kind of hometown discount. He even fired his previous agent and hired Orr (McDavid's agent), just to get the more lucrative deal possible this summer. If it's anything less than 12.5 per, I'm predicting his still unsigned by July 1

Either way, he's not going anywhere, it's just a matter of how much

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
could see him going into July 1st just for an offer sheet, that Toronto would be forced to match.
He held out before his rookie season, for performance bonuses
1. Why would he screw his own team if he was going to sign there anyways? He's smarter than that.

2. He never held out on his ELC, it's on record that it literally took 8 minutes to negotiate, and there was no conflict at all. Max bonueses were obvious

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Does the offer sheet process apply to other leagues?

On a related note, does anyone know if AM likes to play non-contact shinny?

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
So when the Leafs sucked, haters complained the Leafs would bring up the past when talking about all the cups they've won.

Now that the Leafs are good, haters can only bring up the past.

This site is so amusing.

It is also amusing that you have a young JT avater with Leafs gear but you chose ignore the possibility that Auston Matthews who has the same type of picture of himself in Arizona gear...cannot happen. Yep, this site is so amusing.

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
It is also amusing that you have a young JT avater with Leafs gear but you chose ignore the possibility that Auston Matthews who has the same type of picture of himself in Arizona gear...cannot happen. Yep, this site is so amusing.

1. Tavares gave the Islanders 9 years of his career to sort their shit out and it never happened.

2. Tavares to the Leafs doesn't happen if the Islanders are contenders and the Leafs are a bottom 10 team.

3. Even if you ignore 1 and 2, what Tavares did is still considered extremely rare in a sport where virtually all star players stick with one team. Odds are overwhelmingly in favor of it not happening.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
I’m assuming most people saw the documentary that aired recently where a reporter went to Arizona to ask local residents how they would feel about Matthews potentially playing on their team in the very near future

The exact question asked to (I believe) 5,000 Arizona locals was “how would you feel if the coyotes acquired Matthews?”

The reported responses had 4,870+ people responding with one of the following:

“Who is Matthews?”

“What are the coyotes?”

“I’m not sure”

“What league is that for?”

“I don’t follow that league/sport”

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I definitely got a good chuckle out of the documentary.

Auston Matthews alone isn’t saving the coyotes. Period
Of course, that's the whole point. People don't go because they know nothing about it. The idea behind signing Matthews, in addition to enhancing the team's competitiveness which will bring back those who do know hockey, is to use him as a springboard to promote the game throughout the state. There will be crazy media coverage and promotion of the returning home town star which will lead to curiosity, more eyes on television sets (yeah, I'm old!) and ultimately more bums in seats as new fans are made and old fans return. Is it a sure thing? Of course not. Is it better than doing what has failed repeatedly since the team moved there? You bet it is!

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Lol at some people praying to the hockey gods for Matthews not to be on the leafs.

I said be ready for the Tavares signing, and I’ll say it again. Be ready for the Matthews and Marner extensions. They love being the Franchise players for a potential cup contender.

The best way for Auston to honour his city and upbringing is to win a cup for an original 6 franchise dying for one and show the Arizona kids they can do it aswell.

Then maybe near the end of his career, go play a couple years there and retire.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Lol at some people praying to the hockey gods for Matthews not to be on the leafs.

I said be ready for the Tavares signing, and I’ll say it again. Be ready for the Matthews and Marner extensions. They love being the Franchise players for a potential cup contender.

The best way for Auston to honour his city and upbringing is to win a cup for an original 6 franchise dying for one and show the Arizona kids they can do it aswell.

Then maybe near the end of his career, go play a couple years there and retire.

Everybody wishes they had a Matthews!

I’m also loving Rantanen’s current play. I believe he will be a good boy. He will keep the cap down for both Matthews and Marner. It’s hard to argue you should make more than this year’s Art Ross winner.

member 157595

The report I saw today that the owner of the Houston Rockets may be interested in buying and moving the Coyotes should relieve Leafs fans a bit. I do think Arizona being his home, that the Coyotes introduced him to hockey and helped him develop into what he is would be a strong pull on him.

I also heard something on the radio today, Buffalo radio where the host of the show seemed to have read somewhere that Tavares is making an extra $6-7M this year in endorsement money. Matthews is more marketable than him.
If McDonalds Canada, Canadian Tire, Labatts, Ford etc want to make him into a $25M a year earner that's fine BUT I have a huge problem that Tavares is getting paid to endorse Rogers Media, an owner of the Leafs, and nobody seems to know the details about that setup.

I don't know of any Leafs fans that are seriously worried about Auston Matthews signing an offer sheet with the Arizona Coyotes in the first place. What we are actually worried about is a lack of toughness and a defense that is lousy on the right side.

Why would we be seriously concerned at the extremely remote possibility that a team in serious financial difficulties is going to shell out a cap-max offer full of signing bonuses (you know, because the Coyotes can totally afford that right now) to a local player that does not make the Coyotes a contender by himself? Matthews doesn't save the Coyotes alone, and Coyotes fans know this (and very likely the front office does as well).

Like, I get that people hate Toronto and want to see their fans in misery, but it's much more likely we're bounced in the playoffs due to our weaknesses than we lose a player of Matthews' caliber to an offer sheet issued by a team bleeding money. If you want to see us miserable it's going to be on-ice events that cause that pain, not an offer sheet by the Coyotes.

VoteForTavares

Jun 29, 2018
GTA
Is that $6-7M verified? I dont think I've heard of any hockey player making even close to that much yearly in endorsements before.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Cant wait for the Toronto fan panic to ensue when he doesn't sign before July 1st. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Arizona send him a max offer sheet and him to sign to play at home. Just to to head off any retaliatory responses, I don't care if Laine gets offer sheeted.

Why the hell would we panic he is a RFA. It will get done just like it got done with Willy.

If Dubas caved and gave Willy 8.5M, Matthews 13M and Marner 11M like this board has said they are worth (or their initial ask was) peoplke would be all over him.

Not a single Leaf fan will care that these guys miss a few games at the start of a year if it means they all come in as a group 3M+ cheaper.

I don't think he'll have an extension before July 1st and HF will be humbled when he re-signs with Toronto rather than signing an offer sheet. Same deal with Marner.

They won't be humbled. They weren't when the Leafs made the playoffs after the "will they make the playoffs at all during Babcock's contract" thread. They weren't when Matthews proved to be better than Laine.

They weren't when Marner wasn't Gagner 2.0. They weren't when they made the playoffs for a 2nd year after "being lucky" with injuries and career years.

They weren't when JT came home. And they won't be here. They'll do the exact same thing as always.

Go quiet for a week or two and then pretend they never said otherwise and everyone knew what happened would happen, and then focus on the next "alarming" thing coming up for the team.

Reactions: lurkerrr and NoName

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
6. Chris Johnston brought up offer sheets on the weekend. I’ve believed for years they are coming, and there are Grade-A candidates this summer. As one GM said this week, there’s only one bad thing about doing it to Toronto: “Who wants to be on the receiving end of their revenge?”

Reactions: NoName
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad