Speculation: Auston Matthews Offer Sheet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Of course he'll get offer sheeted. Most teams in the league would trade 4 first rounders for him.

Leafs job is to make sure he doesnt get to July 1st without a contract. And judging by the quote from his agency, it sounds like hes interested in staying and doesnt want every last dollar to stay either. So theres that.

“I don’t think it’s (about) money,” Orr said. The kid’s going to be a heck of a player. It’s like John Tavares’ free agency. It was nothing about money. It’s where he wanted to play. He wants to play in Toronto and if it doesn’t happen this year before the season starts, he still has a year left to fulfill his contract and we’ll see what happens after that.
“Hopefully we’ll get it done. He likes Toronto. He wants to stay in Toronto and I’m sure they’ll get it done.”

Orr says notion of rift between Matthews, team nonsense - TBNewsWatch.com

Last edited:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Sean O’Leary on Sportsnet reporting its wide spread feeling in the industry AM could be targeted by a rare offer sheet.

Discuss
Well I think that this is one of the reasons why the Leafs can't hardball him like they tried with Nylander. They should (and most likely will) sign him before then at a price as high if not higher than Tavares contract. They would be stupid not to because I think this is one of the rare times that teams might actually pull out the offer sheet due to the calibre of player they'd be potentially getting. Situations like Nylander are not when you should pull out the offer sheet, but if a player like Matthews made it that far I think somebody would absolutely at least tender an offer his way. I doubt he makes it to RFA, but I don't think the wide spread feeling is wrong that someone would offer sheet him if he did.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Targeted and him actually accepting are 2 different things. I don’t think people quite grasp this concept

Agreed

Big question would he sign it or use it as leverage or ignore it?

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Targeted and him actually accepting are 2 different things. I don’t think people quite grasp this concept
Oh, I doubt many believe he will want to leave Toronto. Yet signing an offer sheet only locks in his earnings. He's still overwhelmingly likely to be playing those years in Toronto, who will match nearly anything and trade what they must to make cap room. He'll also become a UFA a year earlier. There are millions of reasons to sign an offer sheet if you're Auston Matthews.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Agreed

Big question would he sign it or use it as leverage or ignore it?

Obviously we saw the Nylander holdout but I have to believe Matthews is priority #1 for the leafs right now. They don’t want another Nylander situation even though Nylander ultimately re-signed.

Also, Matthews would have to want to leave TOR and right now they have a young team ready to complete. Once Horton and Marleau get off the books they will be fine.

A team would have to get Matthews to accept a deal, be good enough to absorb the loss of 1st round picks from the compensation, and hope and pray the leafs wouldn’t match. That’s a lot of things that have to happen.

I also think the leafs would be likely to match any deal even if it meant they would have to trade away certain players to fit Matthews.

You build around 20 year old franchise centers you don’t let them go.

Reactions: thunder16

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Obviously we saw the Nylander holdout but I have to believe Matthews is priority #1 for the leafs right now. They don’t want another Nylander situation even though Nylander ultimately re-signed.

Also, Matthews would have to want to leave TOR and right now they have a young team ready to complete. Once Horton and Marleau get off the books they will be fine.

A team would have to get Matthews to accept a deal, be good enough to absorb the loss of 1st round picks from the compensation, and hope and pray the leafs wouldn’t match. That’s a lot of things that have to happen.

I also think the leafs would be likely to match any deal even if it meant they would have to trade away certain players to fit Matthews.

You build around 20 year old franchise centers you don’t let them go.

Agreed.....I’m more thinking he & agent would just use the offer sheet as leverage then sign a normal contract and maximize what they can

Reactions: SI90

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Yes, but if Matthews gets offer-sheeted for, say, 14 million, I'd say Matthews accepts it. Not that he wants to leave Toronto, but because he knows that the Leafs would accept it and he'd get PAID. Let's face it, Toronto would riot if the Leafs didn't match that.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Rumor started by his agent to drive the price up!

Possibly, if true part of the business side of hockey we all hate. I love to see offer sheets removed from CA next time round but the players would refuse

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Possibly, if true part of the business side of hockey we all hate. I love to see offer sheets removed from CA next time round but the players would refuse
Hardly any player is worth an offer sheet. I'm a homer,but gotta say,Matthews might be!

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Hardly any player is worth an offer sheet. I'm a homer,but gotta say,Matthews might be!

Agreed.....not all players are worth it....few are.......AM possibly.....especially could see a ruthless GM putting the screws to the Leafs at a difficult time (this summer).....all the more reason for Dubas to setup and pay the man before then and hope he signs.

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
This report is bad news for the Leafs, because it is going to drive up the cap hit for Matthews.

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
They don’t have the money for the 100th time....they barely spend to the cap floor.
Left them keep dreaming. For years it's been "you guys sucks don't have a top line player" now that we got studs it's "good luck paying them offersheet"

It's one thing if Arizona was a good team but theyre garbage. I'm sure Austin wants to go into his 30s without a shot at a stanley cup playing in Arizona. :sarcasm:

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
This report is bad news for the Leafs, because it is going to drive up the cap hit for Matthews.

We often hear rumours of offer sheets on players every summer from some media guy......but typically it’s a isolated source. The thing with this report that worries me a bit is two guys claiming it’s “wide spread feeling in the industry”, which is a bit different then other reports on players. Dubas better get him signed ASAP to avoid the risk

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Agreed.....not all players are worth it....few are.......AM possibly.....especially could see a ruthless GM putting the screws to the Leafs at a difficult time (this summer).....all the more reason for Dubas to setup and pay the man before then and hope he signs.
Sure ,just the threat of an offer sheet is effective enough to drive up the price.The Leafs might have to entertain the possibility of 4 unprotected first rounders and looking at how the team played without him,they aren't that bad. Would be a PR nightmare ,but 4 1sts plus your own could bring in a nice supporting cast of players.

GongShowWilly

time to pay the Piper
Jan 25, 2016
Alberta
yup AM is good , but a lot of good RFA this year
some doing better than AM , but won't mention them , as to not get post deleted ?
all salaries are going up
but this is not a story until teams can actually offer sheet him ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad