Auston Matthews Now Vs Peak Mats Sundin?

who is/was the best player Auston Matthews now or peak Mats Sundin?

• Total voters

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Lol what? The leafs had plenty of great wingers over the years.

I'll list notable wingers that played for Toronto at one point or another during sundin's leafs tenure.

Dave Andreychuk (219 pts in 223gp)
Mike Gartner (35 goal season)
Wendel Clark (30 goal in 65gp season)
Sergei Berezin (37 goal season)
Steve Thomas (73 point season)
Gary Roberts (almost ppg playoff player)
Alexander Mogilny (166pts in 176gp)
Owen Nolan (60 points in 79gp in dpe)

Not to mention often having a good 1-2 punch at center with guys like Doug Gilmour, Joe Nieuwendyk, Jason Allison, etc.

It's not like he had hacks with him. Toronto had one of the biggest payrolls. Not to mention ~hall of fame goalies in potvin, cujo and belfour which allowed them to focus more on offense when you have a trusted goalie.
What are you talking about? Andrechyuk played half that many games with sundin. Most of the people you named benefited by playing with sundin. Did you just add berezin to your list lol come on. Gardner Clark and nolan were all at the end of their careers. Not a single person you mentioned were elite including mogilny ( who was the only one to put up a ppg in one season) you also added jason f***ing allison.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
What are you talking about? Andrechyuk played half that many games with sundin. Most of the people you named benefited by playing with sundin. Did you just add berezin to your list lol come on. Gardner Clark and nolan were all at the end of their careers. Not a single person you mentioned were elite including mogilny ( who was the only one to put up a ppg in one season) you also added jason f***ing allison.

He was almost ppg with Toronto and almost ppg career...yes he was slow, but at this point youre being extremely picky. He had above average cast.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
I've watched both play, Matthews and it's not close. I think Matthews is gonna be in that Sakic, Yzerman and Foresberg tier when his career is over rather than Sundin. I think he's better than him now, for sure.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Sundin had very little to play with throughout the majority of his career, including his peak and he put up insane numbers. He was bigger, stronger and actually used his body. Let's not forget he put up very good numbers through the dead puck era.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Sundin had very little to play with throughout the majority of his career, including his peak and he put up insane numbers. He was bigger, stronger and actually used his body. Let's not forget he put up very good numbers through the dead puck era.

One of the more frustrating things about Sundin was actually NOT using his body. He used it insomuch as for cycling and possession but not much else.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I see Sundin as a more physically gifted and likely longer tenured Tavares level player, with Matthews being a cut above

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Sundin played in a vastly different league so comparing points totals isn’t apples to apples

it’s a really good question though- I’ll say peak Sundin now but Matthews is likely to overtake peak Sundin

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Matthews. But the impressive thing about Mats wasn't his peak as much as his constistency as an elite player. He was never the best player in the league, but for almost 20 years you could count on him to be among the 10-20 best.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
One of the more frustrating things about Sundin was actually NOT using his body. He used it insomuch as for cycling and possession but not much else.

It wasn't frustrating at all. He was incredibly strong on the puck. There were not many "physical" 2nd generation Swedes in the NHL.

Reactions: Garthinater

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Matthews.

Sundin was great for a long time but his legacy is more about consistently great for a long time-his peak isn't as high as Matthews's.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Matthews looks like a young Stamkos,one of the best shooting centers we have seen is some time....Everytime he has it on his stick as an Ottawa fan Iam scared lol

Reactions: KapG

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
During his lockout to lockout (dead puck era) Leafs tenure, Sundin played his 23 -32 year old seasons. During that time he was 2nd in points and 1st in goals, among NHL centres, but tied for 5th with Modano in Points per game with Modano.

Offensively at C there was a pretty clear top tier of Sakic/Forsberg/Lindros/Gretzky (retired halfway through)
then a very very strong 2nd tier of
Modano/Sundin/Yzerman/Fedorov/Weight/Turgeon/Francis/Oates/Roenick.

Quick look shows that over that time Sundin's league wide point finishes were
1x top 5, 1x top 10, 3x top 20, 4x outside top 20, no major hardware.

Matthews is currently in his 1st season of that window.

Sundin was an excellent player, but his calling card was longevity and consistency.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Matthews has thrown more hits this season than Sundin ever did. If you're talking about protecting the puck then Sundin was unreal at that.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
It wasn't frustrating at all. He was incredibly strong on the puck. There were not many "physical" 2nd generation Swedes in the NHL.

It's incredibly frustrating when you have the frame to impose your will and you do not. Meanwhile the Brendan Gallagher's of the world go balls to the wall. May shorten your career but also tends to up your impact.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Matthews has thrown more hits this season than Sundin ever did. If you're talking about protecting the puck then Sundin was unreal at that.

Agreed.

As to the thread subject, in watching Sundin I don't think you would ever catch yourself thinking "I'm witnessing something I may never see again while cheering for this team". You would more likely say "I'm witnessing consistent greatness". With Matthews, you can already tell you are watching history unfold.

Reactions: authentic

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I've watched both play, Matthews and it's not close. I think Matthews is gonna be in that Sakic, Yzerman and Foresberg tier when his career is over rather than Sundin. I think he's better than him now, for sure.

I agree. Those are big, big names and I don't think HF Boards will like that comparison but I seem him being on that level too.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Mats Sundin is my favourite player ever

Auston Matthews is considerably better tho, it’s just the truth

Reactions: Sundinisagod

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
It's incredibly frustrating when you have the frame to impose your will and you do not. Meanwhile the Brendan Gallagher's of the world go balls to the wall. May shorten your career but also tends to up your impact.

Different generation of hockey. Swedes on average play more physical style of game now than before.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada

Yeah and part of protecting the puck is taking hits, fighting off hits, being used to other players constantly leaning on you. That's the existence he constantly lived long before anyone herd of the term obstruction interference. He was putting up tons of points during the worst of the neutral zone trap. Dude was a beauty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad