Auston Matthews Now Vs Peak Mats Sundin?

who is/was the best player Auston Matthews now or peak Mats Sundin?

• Total voters

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
To the crowd who saw Sundin in the 90's, would you say 92-93 was his peak? I've only seen him past 2005 and did not realize at the time how impressive it must have been for a guy in his 30's to put ppg numbers every year until retirement.

But I never realized he was THAT good that he lead the freaking Nordiques in scoring in 92-93, on what looked like a team loaded with young stars and beating a 23 years-old Joe Sakic in points!!! Just seems ridiculous

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Agreed.

As to the thread subject, in watching Sundin I don't think you would ever catch yourself thinking "I'm witnessing something I may never see again while cheering for this team". You would more likely say "I'm witnessing consistent greatness". With Matthews, you can already tell you are watching history unfold.

1x calder after 4 seasons. Career high of 80 points and 47 goals.

"Watching history unfold" rofl

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Yeah, you're right. He should've had 3-4 Calders in that span.

I'm not sure if you are aware but the calder is only for rookies. Matthews was ineligible after his 1st season.

"Watching history unfold" would suggest multiple major awards.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
To the crowd who saw Sundin in the 90's, would you say 92-93 was his peak? I've only seen him past 2005 and did not realize at the time how impressive it must have been for a guy in his 30's to put ppg numbers every year until retirement.

But I never realized he was THAT good that he lead the freaking Nordiques in scoring in 92-93, on what looked like a team loaded with young stars and beating a 23 years-old Joe Sakic in points!!! Just seems ridiculous

His peak was probably 1999 (but it's hard to tell - Sundin was like Ron Francis and Mike Modano - consistently playing at a high level but never having a truly standout season). On paper maybe 2002 where he finished a career-high 4th in scoring (but that was a weak year for top-end talent - lots of injuries to star players).

Keep in mind scoring was much higher in 1993. 21 players scored 100+ points that year. Just two reached that benchmark in 1999.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
His peak was probably 1999 (but it's hard to tell - Sundin was like Ron Francis and Mike Modano - consistently playing at a high level but never having a truly standout season). On paper maybe 2002 where he finished a career-high 4th in scoring (but that was a weak year for top-end talent - lots of injuries to star players).

Keep in mind scoring was much higher in 1993. 21 players scored 100+ points that year. Just two reached that benchmark in 1999.

Makes sense, I was not really looking at totals, but moreso impressed that, while 2-3 years younger, he was leading the Nordiques in points in front of JOE SAKIC. Because I saw him mostly on the Leafs, I did not realize Sundin was THAT good.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
1x calder after 4 seasons. Career high of 80 points and 47 goals.

"Watching history unfold" rofl

By 27-28 years old (if we ever get close to full seasons) he is likely to be owning 100+ years old franchise records let alone breaking individual season ones in between.

By 23 he'll already have as many top 10 seasons and more hardware.

You can 'rofl" your ass on outta here.

Last edited:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I'm not sure if you are aware but the calder is only for rookies. Matthews was ineligible after his 1st season.

"Watching history unfold" would suggest multiple major awards.

Don't you just love when people invent your arguments then hold you responsible for what THEY said (or interpreted)?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad