Rumor: Auston Matthews has tested positive for COVID-19.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I mean the media and fans did a pretty good job driving Zaitsev off, and he would not be the first. Media and fans are a part of #4. Some guys, if not a lot of guys, like it quiet.
I think media is bad everywhere, unless it is a market where a NHL team should not be there in the first place.
I think any Hockey market will have someone like Simmons, we just don’t know it bc we are not fans of such teams.
I think what makes it worse is the fact that some fans think it is okay.
For example, there was this woman reporter/journalist who posted an article about Kobe’s trail or stuff like that literally hours after Kobe’s death. She defended herself as she wanted people to remember what he did... and there are a lot of people supporting her on that.
Although she was just stating facts but the timing cannot be more wrong. We are living in a World where people just don’t respect other people and due to the amount of likes, retweets, follows... they receive, they believe they are doing the right thing which sometimes cannot be further from the truth.
Call me old school or old or whatever, but I do believe and standby respecting other people privacy and there are stuff that you just don’t do despite being completely legal, like wearing Red to funeral or posting nasty comments on someone twitter or IG.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Auston Matthews wasn't in Toronto Maple Leafs camp when he purported to have tested positive, so he didn't have the benefit of the Leafs cone of silence and organizational bubble to protect his anonymity.

You could easily see someone affiliated with the Arizona Coyotes training with Matthews let slip, since they're not really protecting their own. Or maybe someone asked Freddie why he went to Anaheim, etc.
That’s still a lot of ifs. And I doubt it is Freddie, bc Simmons or anyone would have stated Freddie said he left bc AM got tested positive.

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
Which law would you cite restricting what reporters can publish about someone's health situation?

I am not an expert in health privacy law, but would like to know more about the impact of Ontario's Personal Health Information Protection Act.
Offences

72 (1) A person is guilty of an offence if the person,
(a) wilfully collects, uses or discloses personal health information in contravention of this Act or its regulations;...
Penalty

(2) A person who is guilty of an offence under subsection (1) is liable, on conviction,
(a) if the person is a natural person, to a fine of not more than $200,000 or to a term of imprisonment of not more than 1 year, or to both;

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
A lot of people in here seem to be okay with publishing a person's medical details without their consent...

Even if the leaker is the one who should be punished, have you ever stopped to think that just because you technically can violate someone's medical privacy rights, you should?

I guarantee you Bob McKenzie or Elliotte Friedman knew this, but decided to keep it private BECAUSE IT'S THE RIGHT THING TO DO.

There's plenty of things that are legal but unethical to do. Get some common sense and dignity. And show some compassion for someone who has contracted a serious illness.

You’re right, he probably shouldn’t have released the name. But he didn’t release any details, like when he was tested, so we have no idea about the severity.
I don’t know when the podcast with Rick Vaive and that other guy was recorded, but Matthews certainly showed no affects in that video.

Last edited:

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I mean the media and fans did a pretty good job driving Zaitsev off, and he would not be the first. Media and fans are a part of #4. Some guys, if not a lot of guys, like it quiet.

This is so silly.

You are implying that the fans and media have the power to trade players? They don't. I don't remember fans booing Zaitsev or the media being particularly hard on Zaitsev either.

I think you're also stating that "it's too bad about the fans and the media. Zaitsev would still be here in TOR playing on our defense".

Come on

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I am not an expert in health privacy law, but would like to know more about the impact of Ontario's Personal Health Information Protection Act.
Offences

72 (1) A person is guilty of an offence if the person,
(a) wilfully collects, uses or discloses personal health information in contravention of this Act or its regulations;...
Penalty

(2) A person who is guilty of an offence under subsection (1) is liable, on conviction,
(a) if the person is a natural person, to a fine of not more than $200,000 or to a term of imprisonment of not more than 1 year, or to both;

What separates this from reporting player injuries, which is standard practice?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
That’s still a lot of ifs. And I doubt it is Freddie, bc Simmons or anyone would have stated Freddie said he left bc AM got tested positive.

I don’t care to speculate who it could have been, just that it’s harder for the Leafs to control the flow of information when the player is not with the team and there are other players from other organizations around and Freddie makes an abrupt departure after months in Arizona.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Blue Nate

Sep 27, 2017
St Catharines
legally? probably nothing. There's a difference in optics and ethics though. Reporting on an injury sustained during play is different than reporting an illness that both the player and organization want kept private. The fact that none of the respected insiders or journalists are touching this story is telling. They don't gain anything by burning bridges with the Leafs front office or Matthews himself.

We all know Simmons doesn't give a flying f*** and he's probably burned so many bridges already that he's not getting exclusive interviews with Dubas or Auston. We already know his feelings on Keefe lol.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Hopefully AM is like all other players and only found out he had it because of testing ... most had no idea they even had it .. and the few that had symptoms would have played through it they were so mild

Reactions: Clark4Ever

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
That player still has a large cohort of media members coming to the rink each day...

So what? Why go into the field of pro sports if you can't handle the attention you get. You can't just will it differently. If you want to live the life of a farmer then live the life of a farmer. Don't expect pro sports to be the life of a farmer.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
So what? Why go into the field of pro sports if you can't handle the attention you get. You can't just will it differently. If you want to live the life of a farmer then live the life of a farmer. Don't expect pro sports to be the life of a farmer.

Superstar level pro athletes definitely get their fair share of attention, and NHL guys have it relatively easy compared to other higher profile sports. That said, Matthews deserves the same kind of privacy protection as right now as the unidentified Colorado Avalanche, Tampa Bay Lightning and Boston Bruins players who tested positive. Theoretically those could be some of the biggest names in the game but we don’t know because the media are giving them privacy.

This is no fault of the Maple Leafs that Simmons got wind of this story, but this would basically be one of those factors that the Leafs were talking about mitigating in efforts to build the safe space to play as outlined in the Shanaplan.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Has it come out how Simmons got this information?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
What separates this from reporting player injuries, which is standard practice?

More than likely, consent. Those injuries are typically given to reporters by some member of the team or the player himself, and in many cases teams will disclose very little information. Now you can report on what you saw (i.e. Matthews made contact with a person who claimed to have Covid-19 for example), but unless you have legit access to his medical chart to know the official diagnosis, you can't claim to know he has it himself (especially since Transmission is far from 100%).

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
More than likely, consent. Those injuries are typically given to reporters by some member of the team or the player himself, and in many cases teams will disclose very little information. Now you can report on what you saw (i.e. Matthews made contact with a person who claimed to have Covid-19 for example), but unless you have legit access to his medical chart to know the official diagnosis, you can't claim to know he has it himself (especially since Transmission is far from 100%).

Heck even teams are vague about that now - hence lower body, upper body injuries, or just illness... Details usually don't come out until after the season.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Freidman is speculating today that they are discussing a positive test could result in no play for 6-8 weeks after their first negative test, talks about liability issues. From thread on main forum.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Freidman is speculating today that they are discussing a positive test couldn’t result in no play for 6-8 weeks after their first negative test, talks about liability issues. From thread on main forum.
What? Definitely need more info on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad