Rumor: Auston Matthews has tested positive for COVID-19.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
What would be the basis of the lawsuit? Even if Simmons turns out to be wrong how has Matthews been harmed by it?

It wouldn’t be like falsely accusing someone of immoral behavior that could be damaging to the person’s reputation.
It could be damaging to his career for future contracts, he could be labeled as injury prone because with covid 19 he'd probably have permanent lung damage and his playing time would have to be reduced to accommodate this problem

Vinsanity89

Feb 2, 2014
Recorded on the same day as Simmons breaking the story, there was a zoom with Matthews:

Seems asymptomatic to me. Says he's been working out. No mention of Covid.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
How are they going to keep this private if a player tests positive when the league recommences? A perfectly healthy player is now out for at least 14 days. How are they going to get around that?

A player can miss time for a number of reasons. It doesn't have to be COVID-19. People may assume that but it's really the team and players choice whether to disclose that information.

Remember the "lower body injury" or "upper body injury". Again non specific.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Recorded on the same day as Simmons breaking the story, there was a zoom with Matthews:

Seems asymptomatic to me. Says he's been working out. No mention of Covid.

One of the issues I had with Simmons report is he didn’t give a timeline.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The Leafs need to pull his press pass and credentials. He should never be allowed to step foot in a Leafs locker room again.

They should refuse to answer his questions as well.

If they are displeased with the report they should let him and the public know and advise their staff that he’s not spoken with on the record.
I don’t know if refusing a press pass is an option but calling him out and shunning him would be fine.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I know a 30 year old who died from it. I don’t think had pre existing conditions. I figure 999/1000 times Auston will be fine. Upside is get it now and deal with it and won’t have to (hopefully) worry about a second case.
Odd. Like 10 people under 40 have died of it in Ontario.

Very rare.

Zero under 20.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
He's a professional athlete with all the privacy that entails (none) his health is in the public interest

So if Simmonds gets verifiable information Leaked to him you bet your ass he should publish it and it's definitely newsworthy

You can say that about any person in the spotlight but unfortunately your life becomes public fodder with the wealth and celebrity you gain from it

Why is investigative journalism ok when it's exposing stuff you like but not ok when it's exposing stuff you don't like? Matthews getting COVID is a story and should be published
Well, exposing things such as corruption (read this if you want what actual invesigative journalism actually is: In Honor of the Olympics, the Best Investigative Reporting on Sports — ProPublica) (The fact you are trying to make me look like a hypocrite here is laughable) but why is it necessary for a person's health be outed without their permission? So you think because someone is famous they don't deserve privacy? Lol. That is so ludicrous. Why do you care? So you think it's okay for paparazzi to tail famous people or go to their houses just to get photos etc?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
From a selfish fan standpoint, this virus is known to have lasting effects on some peoples (not all but some) lungs aka lesser lung capacity. For a guy who plays a much as Austin does I sure hope this does not have lasting effects.

It feels like the hockey gods just realize the Leafs have a superstar center, Oh we gotta fix that, can't have a situation where the Leafs might win the cup ... :(

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
From a selfish fan standpoint, this virus is known to have lasting effects on some peoples (not all but some) lungs aka lesser lung capacity. For a guy who plays a much as Austin does I sure hope this does not have lasting effects.

It feels like the hockey gods just realize the Leafs have a superstar center, Oh we gotta fix that, can't have a situation where the Leafs might win the cup ... :(
Who cares, he's bolting to Arizona first chance he gets anyways , since he's , ya know, American :sarcasm:

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
there is a 99.999 percent chance AM will be fine. only sick old ppl need to worry.

FDE62E54-0266-4B45-887C-77152071044B.gif

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
It would be fitting that AM is trash due to COVID and we get knocked out by CBJ and we win the lottery and grab Lafreniere.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I have no idea if they are credible or not. However, If it turns out that Matthews did not test positive, that would be an even bigger story.
That’s the thing.
Where did Simmons get the info? And how he got it?
Even if someone just dropped AM medical reports in his mail box. He still need to confirm it, at least he should. Or I can just use my medical report change the name to Mitch Marner and drop it off at Simmons mailbox and he will just report it without checking.
If he did check with two sources with the NHL. Then 1. There is a leak in the NHL office. Which is a violation. 2. Why did the two sources leak the info to Simmons? Is it bc he is a good man or is it bc Simmons paid them? If Simmons paid them, how can that not be illegal?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Yes, reporters have a tremendous amount of legally protected freedoms. Look no further then TMZ.

There are no blanket laws protecting everything a person might consider private from being published by the media. You have to look at the specific laws in every situation.
Not sure have you seen TMZ stuff, bc I have not. All I knew was they posted celebrities dating rumour and stuff. So I did a very quick look at their website and from what I seen, each article they published had a source and usually those source is directly from that person twitter, IG, FB...
Where is Simmons source in this case?
Also reporters have certain right to freedom of press but they also have restriction. Private medical records/infos of an individual is one of them.
Using my own example, as you stated if someone leaked the info, the person leaked it would be in trouble but not the person reporting it. What if the reporter paid for these info? Is the reporter is free from the law?
Back to AM, Simmons claimed he got two sources from the NHL. Let’s say those two sources are legit. My question is why did two sources provide AM info to Simmons and not Dreger, BobM, Pierre or other Hockey writers? Maybe they did but the others didn’t report it, or bc they both really like Simmons, or Simmons paid them to obtain this info. How is that legal if it is the latter case?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
How are they going to keep this private if a player tests positive when the league recommences? A perfectly healthy player is now out for at least 14 days. How are they going to get around that?
Personally, I think if a player got tested positive when the league resumes. The League will suspend right away.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Nope they absolutely won't. They'll need to be testing continuously
I don’t know, as I think the players might say, they don’t want to play.
I have not been following Euro football but as far as I know, there has been no players testing positive since they resume games and training. I am curious to see their reactions if a player tested positive.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
That’s the thing.
Where did Simmons get the info? And how he got it?
Even if someone just dropped AM medical reports in his mail box. He still need to confirm it, at least he should. Or I can just use my medical report change the name to Mitch Marner and drop it off at Simmons mailbox and he will just report it without checking.
If he did check with two sources with the NHL. Then 1. There is a leak in the NHL office. Which is a violation. 2. Why did the two sources leak the info to Simmons? Is it bc he is a good man or is it bc Simmons paid them? If Simmons paid them, how can that not be illegal?
I don’t know any of that. If he has the record in his mail box he is free and clear legally.
He did ask Matthews and his agent for comment and they didn’t get back to him.
Legally I see nothing wrong with his reporting, but professionally he should not have reported it without consent.

GLobello

Dec 1, 2015
Personally, I think if a player got tested positive when the league resumes. The League will suspend right away.

Not a chance. The league isn't going through the trouble and spending the millions of dollars it's taking to put this on just to blow it up if one player tests positive. The league has countless resources and countless experts working on this and they have to be almost positive they can identify and contain any issue that comes up once everybody is under their watch in the two hub cities or they wouldn't move ahead with the playoffs.

Reactions: ElysiumAB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad