Rumor: Auston Matthews has tested positive for COVID-19.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
If it's newsworthy it should be published because once journalists start sitting on story's biases will end up dictating what does and does not get published

It's newsworthy, he published it, he's well within his rights
The end

We call those anonymous sources

That's the league's prerogative, last I looked Simmonds doesn't work for them he's what we call a journalist

If Djokovic didn't want his health status out there that's his prerogative, but if a reporter got verifiable information he had COVID a reporter would be well within his rights to print he has it

???? The ONLY way you could get “verified” sources is him or medical records.

Anyone can say anything. That’s hearsay. The burden of proof increases with what you are publishing. This isn’t a trade rumor.

the last scoop he had was a friend of his kid who said kessel was at an imaginary hot dog stand.

It’s pretty simple.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
But it could be someone starting that tweet. What’s solid prove did that person got?
And why would Simmons believe that 100%.
Point I am trying to make is that no matter how Simmons got the source, tips, infos...there is no way he can confirm that unless someone close to AM or someone who has access to AM medical records.

Not really. If an outbreak occurs in a training facility and some guys go into quarantine, it doesn't take a genius for people to compare notes and realize what's happened - and then spread that info to whatever hack journalist is out there.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Not really. If an outbreak occurs in a training facility and some guys go into quarantine, it doesn't take a genius for people to compare notes and realize what's happened - and then spread that info to whatever hack journalist is out there.
Yes and No.
Tampa facility was shut down due to 3 players and 2 staff or something like that.
Pretty sure all of the people that came in contact with the infected are all quarantine due to precautions. Are we going to assume, all of them are infected?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yes and No.
Tampa facility was shut down due to 3 players and 2 staff or something like that.
Pretty sure all of the people that came in contact with the infected are all quarantine due to precautions. Are we going to assume, all of them are infected?

Your post makes no sense and we don't need to "assume" anything.

If a player like Matthews is part of group workouts in Arizona, and someone in his group tests positive, he would have been notified. And if Matthews tested positive, the group he trained with would have been notified. It's undisclosed publicly, but within that group people would know.

Out of those people, someone could have spilled the beans to the podcaster without having to dig up medical information. And from there it's an easy DM to Simmons who makes it "official."

Just read this report on how people coming in contact with a facility would be notified in contact tracing.

Arizona Coyotes staff member tests positive for COVID-19 - Sportsnet.ca

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
He's young. This is why I'm glad he isn't captain. He still has wild oats to be sewn. This isn't a rip. He's a young kid with lots of money and is enjoying life. On game days he comes to play. No question. I want him as a Leaf his entire career. He leads on the ice by scoring goals. Off the ice as of right now I'm not sure the team is first and foremost in his head. Probably close. And it will be eventually . When it becomes a priority a truly great talented player will take his game to even another level. That might still be a year or two away.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
He's young. This is why I'm glad he isn't captain. He still has wild oats to be sewn. This isn't a rip. He's a young kid with lots of money and is enjoying life.

Crosby had been to two finals and won one Cup by the time he was Auston's age.

The kid's head just isn't in it. He wants to have fun. Not win.

Which is fine. But Leaf fans need to understand that being a champion, at least in Toronto, is not a priority for Matthews.

Its not really a priority for any of our young stars. They're here to make money and that is it.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

Which is fine. But Leaf fans need to understand that being a champion, at least in Toronto, is not a priority for Matthews.

Its not really a priority for any of our young stars. They're here to make money and that is it.
There's really no way for you to prove that. It's entirely possible that someone could want to win while having fun off the ice.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He's young. This is why I'm glad he isn't captain. He still has wild oats to be sewn. This isn't a rip. He's a young kid with lots of money and is enjoying life. On game days he comes to play. No question. I want him as a Leaf his entire career. He leads on the ice by scoring goals. Off the ice as of right now I'm not sure the team is first and foremost in his head. Probably close. And it will be eventually . When it becomes a priority a truly great talented player will take his game to even another level. That might still be a year or two away.

And it might never happen, no way to know for sure.

This seems over the top cynical, especially the bolded part.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

It's unfair to hold anyone to Crosby's standards.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto

LOL. Is his career over, then?

Yzerman was criticized for all of that too, and people said he was a bad "leader". And then..........he matured and became a GREAT leader and started winning. Let's give Matthews more than a high school tenure to grow up, yeah?

To write off Matthews at the age of 22 is just stupid. Same with saying they're "here to make money and that's it". What a load of rubbish.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Ovie won the Cup and was in the finals in his 30s while being arguably the best goal scorer in the game.
This is not basketball where one player can literally will their team to a championship.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Your post makes no sense and we don't need to "assume" anything.

If a player like Matthews is part of group workouts in Arizona, and someone in his group tests positive, he would have been notified. And if Matthews tested positive, the group he trained with would have been notified. It's undisclosed publicly, but within that group people would know.

Out of those people, someone could have spilled the beans to the podcaster without having to dig up medical information. And from there it's an easy DM to Simmons who makes it "official."

Just read this report on how people coming in contact with a facility would be notified in contact tracing.

Arizona Coyotes staff member tests positive for COVID-19 - Sportsnet.ca
I have been saying there is a leak and you just confirm that

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Matthews is obviously a young multi millionaire superstar with a fairly flashy Instagram lifestyle and a bit of a run in last summer but I don’t think it’s fair to take the sanctimonious connection that a possible Covid infection is the result of being an immature hockey player, lack of commitment or some moral failing. That’s not right and that’s not how this disease is necessarily spreading even to young people.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I have been saying there is a leak and you just confirm that

You were implying that there was a high level breach of confidential medical information and I am saying the chain of secrecy or whatever is likely not all that tight. Especially in a non Toronto Maple Leaf environment.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
You were implying that there was a high level breach of confidential medical information and I am saying the chain of secrecy or whatever is likely not all that tight. Especially in a non Toronto Maple Leaf environment.
I have been saying there is a leak of AM info from someone within the League(Arizona staff is part of the League), and since protocol is keeping private, they should not be telling anyone about it.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017

There should be a dislike button for posts like the above.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Yzerman was criticized for all of that too, and people said he was a bad "leader". And then..........he matured and became a GREAT leader and started winning. Let's give Matthews more than a high school tenure to grow up, yeah?

To write off Matthews at the age of 22 is just stupid. Same with saying they're "here to make money and that's it". What a load of rubbish.
We just expected the Leafs after finishing last and winning the lottery to become a powerhouse within a few years.... The thing is we just think guys like Matthews, Marner, Willie, Reilly and now JT will lead the Leafs. I think they are doing that and will lead the Leafs into a powerhouse but it is still too soon. We can say Sid did that within 4 years but he also scored 100pts more than once within those 4 yrs. Also MAF was really solid during those playoffs where we can’t really say the same about Andersen the past two years.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
We're all sitting on a hockey message board in the middle of June, so safe to say this audience likes consuming hockey information, good bad and ugly, so the leak serves our curiosity.

But at the same time, a Toronto Maple Leaf deserves the same protections as any other NHL player as dictated by their policy, and when Simmons violates that, he hurts the Toronto Maple Leafs and its players. And our interests as fans.

Simmons may be a jerk, but I'm curious how our interests as fans have been harmed?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
???? The ONLY way you could get “verified” sources is him or medical records.

Anyone can say anything. That’s hearsay. The burden of proof increases with what you are publishing. This isn’t a trade rumor.

the last scoop he had was a friend of his kid who said kessel was at an imaginary hot dog stand.

It’s pretty simple.

Simmonds gets a story given to him and then he goes to other sources to verify the original story, that's how you verify something when the people and organizations involved don't want that information out there

That's how investigative journalism works

If it was that simple I'd think you would understand it quite frankly

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Simmons may be a jerk, but I'm curious how our interests as fans have been harmed?

I think the idea is that media being foolish has caused some to hesitate about signing here.

doughty came out and said he wouldn’t sign here because of it.... a few have.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Simmonds gets a story given to him and then he goes to other sources to verify the original story, that's how you verify something when the people and organizations involved don't want that information out there

That's how investigative journalism works

If it was that simple I'd think you would understand it quite frankly

But who are the sources? Says who? That’s the point. Unless he has tangible proof. Ie copies of records (which would be a problem).
Who is “verifying the story”. Outside of him and his doctor......

It’s hearsay. Investigative journalism requires evidence for serious matters like personal health It’s not “I’m hearing the leafs want to move marincin.”

simmons “sources” last time were highschool kids.

Reactions: Duke Silver

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
To those who don't see an issue, it's very simple. The NHL implemented a policy to protect the privacy of the players that test positive for COVID-19 throughout this process whereby no player identities would be revealed to the media.

I work with personal injury law firms for a living, and perhaps I am more sensitive to a breach of confidentiality regarding an individual's health, but what Simmons did was deliberate, selfish, and immoral.

As has been stated several times in this thread, Simmons could have broken the story without naming names.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015

what a ridiculous statement.

Reactions: kb

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I think the idea is that media being foolish has caused some to hesitate about signing here.

doughty came out and said he wouldn’t sign here because of it.... a few have.

While it’s not the same thing, look at what happened last summer with Matthews. Does a fanbase like Arizona even notice the police report and court filing.

Our media definitely encourages those who just want to play hockey and be left alone to not sign here. Apart from maybe a few extra sponsors, there’s little extra to draw a player in who doesn’t like the spotlight.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Ovi didn't want it for years....head just wasn't in it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad